Local sayings, now in the time of COVID19 :(

RealAvalon
This topic is 1407 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's just like downtown."

I can remember using the expression 'just like a bought one' as if a commercial product was better than a home made one.

...and how in So Cal they add "the" in front of the road.

Here roads are usually referred to by a name (with a 'the'), even when they have a number. The major motorways in Sydney are usually referred to as the M4, M5, M7 and so on, and now that major roads in NSW have been given M, A and B road numbers some of them are referred to by their number. Near the Queensland border what had been the Pacific Highway (Highway 1), but has now been upgraded to motorway standard (dual carriage way, limited access) is now mentioned in traffic reports as the M1 Pacific Motorway. In the UK roads are routinely referred to by their letter and number designator, so the main road north from London is 'the A1'.

When I lived in Atlanta us midwesterners were schooled by coworkers that it was coke not pop (my inside voice was like "WTF, coke?" In some parts they'd even use "co-cola" But that was long ago.

yes, even outside the south, "Coke" may be used as a generic term for any soft drink......of course, until a few years ago, the "P" word (Pepsi) was nearly illegal in the south or, at least, in Atlanta

yes, even outside the south, "Coke" may be used as a generic term for any soft drink......of course, until a few years ago, the "P" word (Pepsi) was nearly illegal in the south or, at least, in Atlanta

Oh FiddleDeeDee!! My Atlanta coworker Billy (who was so sweet to this Yankee and would always turn my head)

might refer to soda pop

tenor.gif?itemid=4638579

however he wanted. I only loved seeing him smile and listening to whatever he said with that Georgia accent.

Oops I guess that belongs in another thread.

So another saying I learned down around Atlanta was to cut up.

To cut up might be found elsewhere, but I'd never heard it before arriving in Norcross. Referred to stirring up a bit of fun, perhaps some harmless good natured mischief. ;)

Oh FiddleDeeDee!! My Atlanta coworker Billy (who was so sweet to this Yankee and would always turn my head)

might refer to soda pop

tenor.gif?itemid=4638579

however he wanted. I only loved seeing him smile and listening to whatever he said with that Georgia accent.

Oops I guess that belongs in another thread.

So another saying I learned down around Atlanta was to cut up.

To cut up might be found elsewhere, but I'd never heard it before arriving in Norcross. Referred to stirring up a bit of fun, perhaps some harmless good natured mischief. I only wish Billy had let our own mischief go a step farther, as I've heard goes on with some of those boys. ;)

A 'cut up' is a joker where I am from. Someone that can make a joke and get the room laughing, a bit of a comedian.

I spent my adolescence in Rochester NY. Hateful straight folks often use the expression "pousty" referring to gay men. Never heard it anywhere else. I googled it and its Greek. Interesting, because one never thinks of Rochester as being Greek, although most of the coffee shop restaurants used to be Greek-owned.
And one of the largest suburbs of Rochester is Greece.