Local sayings, now in the time of COVID19 :(

RealAvalon
This topic is 1407 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Canada's new Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland used the saying "you don't want to over egg the pudding" to describe her role as negotiating federal/provincial relations (a big deal in Canada). Such a good Ukrainian girl.

The meaning is, you need the right quantity of eggs. You mustn't be mean with the eggs - you have to use enough or the pudding won't hold together - but you mustn't be too lavish either. If you 'over-egg the pudding' it goes unpleasantly rubbery.

Edited by RealAvalon

Canada's new Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland used the saying "you don't want to over egg the pudding" to describe her role as negotiating federal/provincial relations (a big deal in Canada). Such a good Ukrainian girl.

The meaning is, you need the right quantity of eggs. You mustn't be mean with the eggs - you have to use enough or the pudding won't hold together - but you mustn't be too lavish either. If you 'over-egg the pudding' it goes unpleasantly rubbery.

I've made steamed puddings. It's just about like a pound cake batter-lots of eggs, lots of fat. You could bake a plum pudding instead of steaming it and you would something resembling a fruitcake.

• 4 months later...

A couple more of the unavoidable pandemic slang:

Basement casual - half dressing up for your Zoom meeting

Corona cut - that social distanced hair cut you gave yourself

BCV and ACV - a means of labeling eras, before corona virus and after corona virus

COVidiots - people that endanger other people's health

COVfefe - a group of COVidiots

Edited by RealAvalon

• 4 weeks later...

I heard a way of saying "pot calling the kettle black" that cracked me up: "zozoak beleari, ipurbeltz." The language is Basque & literally translates to: "the raven to the crow, 'black ass'"

That's funny.

I started saying "That's like the pot calling the kettle a stovetop cooking implement" when I bought a green kettle and had stainless-steel pots and pans. :)

• 1 month later...