Names that don't describe what an object is anymore

RealAvalon
This topic is 1772 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Tape" to mean recording. In my musical work, for instance, my students will often "tape" their lesson or classwork, or need a "tape" of an accompaniment to sing to. But of course it's all digital now. Particularly interesting given that at this point, in 2019, none of my students have probably ever dealt with real "tape" for recording - but they know and use the term.

There are also a number of brand names that stand in for all products like it, regardless of actual brand. I tend to think that most people say "kleenex," for instance, even if it's not that brand of tissue. I still occasionally hear "Xerox" as a stand-in for any photocopy. "Band-aid" is another one.

"Kool-aid" may also be one of those (though I assume that the term "drinking the Kool-aid," to mean someone following a trend, actually comes from the Jim Jones tragedy?). But of course for many of us who did summer camp, it was "bug juice." But of course it had nothing to do with bugs, and it wasn't really juice.

I grew up wearing tennis shoes, though I rarely played the game. Now I hear them more often called sneakers, but don't see anyone trying to be stealthy while wearing them.

Side note: I had an aunt who would always refer to socks as "stockings," which my brother and I always thought was funny because we associated that word only with female clothing. (I think the only other time I'd ever hear the word "stockings" was in association with Christmas - but those were big red and white decoration things, not something you'd wear. Besides, we were Jewish lol.)

I grew up wearing tennis shoes, though I rarely played the game. Now I hear them more often called sneakers, but don't see anyone trying to be stealthy while wearing them.

If you look for them in a shoe store, they are now usually called "athletic shoes," since there are special types for tennis, basketball, running, etc.

Old sayings include obsolete words, because the meaning remains even if the original words don’t.

“Turn a new leaf” - a leaf is an old name for a page in a book, so start anew in other words.

I’ll think of some more examples.

"Kool-aid" may also be one of those (though I assume that the term "drinking the Kool-aid," to mean someone following a trend, actually comes from the Jim Jones tragedy?). But of course for many of us who did summer camp, it was "bug juice." But of course it had nothing to do with bugs, and it wasn't really juice.

As someone who was a young adult living near the Bay Area when the Jonestown tragedy unfolded, i still cringe every time i hear the phrase "drink the Kool-aide" and marvel how people using the phrase don't realize that the phrase causes some of us to re-visit in our minds graphic news pictures showing groups of dead families slumped across picnic tables, littered with plastic cups, some also covered in blood because they were shot for refusing to drink.

thought of a few others:

"posting" a letter

"princess phone" -- i actually have one of those in a box in the garage.

cordless phone

phone booth

party line

long distance call

singing telegram

telex

two bits

dime store; five and dime

soda jerk

phoning information

telephone operator

cigarette girl

Edited by Samfoslom

There are also a number of brand names that stand in for all products like it, regardless of actual brand. I tend to think that most people say "kleenex," for instance, even if it's not that brand of tissue. I still occasionally hear "Xerox" as a stand-in for any photocopy. "Band-aid" is another one.

"Zipper" and "Q-Tip"

Over the counter drugs.

That apparently means drugs you buy without a prescription, despite that the only pharmaceuticals that actually come over the counter are prescription drugs.

In Canada, you can buy aspirin with codeine. It's great for hangovers :-) You don't need a prescription, but you do need to go to the pharmacist's counter and ask for it.

Literally in a museum. I didn't dial it myself, they had a small child in our tour do it, he had never seen a rotary phone before. I felt real old.

Literally, as in the word literally (well, not literally or figuratively ... rather, actually) is an adverb, not an object as requested in the topic.

I write all bills with checks and a US stamp. Call me old fashioned but my credit score doesn’t lie! The bills get paid!

I pay my rent by check (the landlord lives downstairs lol) - otherwise I pay online. But occasionally I do have other reasons to use checks.

The new owners of the apartment complex I live in have required tenants to pay by check. The previous owners used a management company which had a means of using automatic bank transfers, but I gather that the new owners did not want to pay the mangement fee and are attempting to do everything themselves. The advice given to tenants who prefered the automation was to use a periodic check-writing-and-mailing service that some banks provide (for a fee).