Starting over as a 60 something

purplekow
This topic is 1597 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have always believed in dog-walking as part of a fitness plan, because it's good for both of you. Unless, of course, you have a dog like mine who keeps stopping to intensively sniff something for a couple of minutes.

I have three dogs and the first day I took two along and they were really not a help. They ran in different directions and were a general nuisance. I have always had multiple dogs and I have just let them in the backyard, so they are not used to be walked on a leash. Once I am walking a bit more securely with a bit of pace, I will start taking one with me.

Day 4 has gone well.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not quite the same but . . .

Had bad car accident with back injury at age 28. Dealt with increasing pain and degenerative arthritis in my spine for years and finally, when the pain was unbearable despite opioids of all ilk, I had surgery for fusion. Surgery worked great expect I was in such bad shape it took me over a year to be functional. I then tore a disc, had a discectomy, reached a point with the degenerative issues that 2 days prior to my 50th I sold my practice (21 years ago.)

THEN I went to work to rehab my body. At that point if I bent over a nurse had to straighten me back up.

I spent 3 days a week with a rehab trainer at Gold's Gym (the original in Venice) for a solid 2 years, never missed a day, and I was finally human again, able to participate in activities I hadn't in years. Still in pain, variable degrees, on meds as necessary, use self hypnosis when needed.

Bottom line - perseverance is what got me thru. Dont give up, push push push. Eventually you look back and say wow.

I have three dogs and the first day I took two along and they were really not a help. They ran in different directions and were a general nuisance. I have always had multiple dogs and I have just let them in the backyard, so they are not used to be walked on a leash. Once I am walking a bit more securely with a bit of pace, I will start taking one with me.

Day 4 has gone well.

Maybe a trainer can help get the dogs adequately leash trained? You definitely don't want them pulling in different directions or possibly yanking you off balance.

Thanks for the invitation - no pressure now to keep it up for nine more months....;)

Take it from me, you do not want to hike with Azdr. Stroll to dinner, walk around the pool and ogle the goods, amble aimlessly around a male go go bar, sashay along the gay streets of Palm Springs. These are all reasonable ideas. Hiking in the sun in the moutains outside Palm Spring, well that is a no from me but send me a post card

Edited by purplekow

Take it from me, you do not want to hike with Azdr. Stroll to dinner, walk around the pool and ogle the goods, amble aimlessly around a male go go bar, sashay along the gay streets of Palm Springs. These are all reasonable ideas. Hiking in the sun inthe moutains outside Palm Spring, well that is a no from me but sent me a post card

Agree - there are better ways to build up a sweat in PS during that weekend.

Not quite the same but . . .

Had bad car accident with back injury at age 28. Dealt with increasing pain and degenerative arthritis in my spine for years and finally, when the pain was unbearable despite opioids of all ilk, I had surgery for fusion. Surgery worked great expect I was in such bad shape it took me over a year to be functional. I then tore a disc, had a discectomy, reached a point with the degenerative issues that 2 days prior to my 50th I sold my practice (21 years ago.)

THEN I went to work to rehab my body. At that point if I bent over a nurse had to straighten me back up.

I spent 3 days a week with a rehab trainer at Gold's Gym (the original in Venice) for a solid 2 years, never missed a day, and I was finally human again, able to participate in activities I hadn't in years. Still in pain, variable degrees, on meds as necessary, use self hypnosis when needed.

Bottom line - perseverance is what got me thru. Dont give up, push push push. Eventually you look back and say wow.

I had a multi-level lumbar fusion eight years ago. The only outcome I was willing to settle for was pain-free and feeling as though the whole thing had never happened. I accomplished that after about three years of constant work. I didn't find physical therapy very useful, so I came up with my own rehab program.

I had a multi-level lumbar fusion eight years ago. The only outcome I was willing to settle for was pain-free and feeling as though the whole thing had never happened. I accomplished that after about three years of constant work. I didn't find physical therapy very useful, so I came up with my own rehab program.

Eh, a lot of physical therapy exercises can take a LONG time to have an effect, and you can't always feel the muscles you're using, so people mistakenly give up on the exercises. I was rolling around on the floor for an hour a day for nine months before suddenly I noticed I was descending stairs without holding onto the banister. There are a ton of small muscles on the back that many people stop using and they just stop firing, and retraining the nervous system takes time.

• 2 weeks later...

So two weeks in and progress has been made but diligence has been a bit of a factor

The extremely humid weather was a "damp"er on my walking. i waited until evening to get some cooling but it was still amazingly humid and I wound up skipping a day. One day I went out to try to take a short walk and I kept pushing and I wound up walking the furthest I had since starting this but came home soaked and barely able to move. The next was a no go.

Today, I did that same walk as that previous walk and I was able to do it in about 2/3 of the time and without the exhaustion and the sweat. Of course the humidity is way down now too.

So, I thank those who have been encouraging me. I admit to feeling better on the days I walk but also I feel worse the next day, so there is a price to pay. Still slow progress at slowing the hands of time is better than just a slide into the abyss.

Well today was better than yesterday because I walked a bit faster and the 85 year old woman who passed me yesterday was not out walking today. Someday I am going to catch that old biddy and laugh at her as I pass, but not today.

Never under estimate the power of a little friendly competition and socialization. They do wonders for rehab and pain.

So this evening I got home a little earlier than normal and decided to take a slightly longer walk than my usual evening stroll. Darn it if at each of the three intersections I cross with vehicles approaching, drivers stopped so I could cross without breaking stride. Didn't they realize that I was anticipating I would get to stop for five seconds and catch my breath?

So this evening I got home a little earlier than normal and decided to take a slightly longer walk than my usual evening stroll. Darn it if at each of the three intersections I cross with vehicles approaching, drivers stopped so I could cross without breaking stride. Didn't they realize that I was anticipating I would get to stop for five seconds and catch my breath?
Damned inconsiderate of them to be so damned considerate. I walk in a development with only one way in and one way out, so there are no intersections. I have started to count the telephone poles and allow myself a pause a certain ones. Goal is not to pause at all, but I am far from that. I stated out with walking only 6 poles and then 6 poles back. There would be about 9 stops, each time at a telephone pole. Today I did 32 poles, which is almost three times as many and there were about 12 breathers, a stop just long enough to take a deep sigh and then move on. That is a little more than a mile and today I did it 4 minutes faster than my previous time. Still not setting any land speed records. I have not seen that old ladu out there, and I am pretty sure she is still faster than I am, but I will catch her, I promise you I will.

As a side note, I have two pairs of jeans which are very similar but different sizes. Today I went to get dressed to walk and grabbed a pair of jeans, so either my big jeans are a lot tighter or my small jeans are a lot looser. I will have to try on the other pair to determine which it is. For now, I am assuming the smaller sized ones now fit perfectly and go to sleep with that thought. In the morning, I will check.

if any of you feel winded or a little bit beat while walking, try the "pressure breathing" technique used by high-altitude climbers to get oxygen into the blood......use the diaphragm to force a sharp exhale thru pursed lips a few times in a row....you'll notice a very subtle burst of energy and a bit of a calm/less-stressed attitude

and this one is good, but you can ignore his "rest step" explanation:

As a side note, I have two pairs of jeans which are very similar but different sizes. Today I went to get dressed to walk and grabbed a pair of jeans, so either my big jeans are a lot tighter or my small jeans are a lot looser. I will have to try on the other pair to determine which it is. For now, I am assuming the smaller sized ones now fit perfectly and go to sleep with that thought. In the morning, I will check.

I'm not good at story problems. I'm having trouble envisioning this. It seems to me if you've lost weight, the big jeans would be even looser, and the tight jeans loose or just right? ?

Gman