CANCELED - 2020 Palm Springs Weekend! #17

Oliver
This topic is 1514 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

You're both right. A cheap J flight was attractive, and if I were flying with Delta I would have taken the otherwise awkward flight to LAX then on to where ever and back to the LA basin. IIRC, there were options on JAL and Cathay into LAX for about the same price as the DL roundabout fares. As things worked out, I got a ticket on Qantas that worked better for me, and that was into PSP.

My original post was to illustrate the sometimes bizarre price differences with fares over indirect routes. It stuck me as extraordinary that I could save $4,000 flying two extra sectors instead of just getting off the flight at LAX.

Assuming you had at most carryon, could you just get off the flight at LAX feigning illness?

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you had at most carryon, could you just get off the flight at LAX feigning illness?

Could do that even if I had checked baggage as you have to collect it to clear customs and then drop it off on a conveyor belt after clearing. I suspect they wouldn't believe the illness story and would cancel the return ticket.

Could do that even if I had checked baggage as you have to collect it to clear customs and then drop it off on a conveyor belt after clearing. I suspect they wouldn't believe the illness story and would cancel the return ticket.

Throw up on the pilot's shoes

Or they might immediately put you in quarantine for two weeks.

Possible that Coachella might be cancelled

A coworker in Rancho Mirage mentioned this on his Facebook page last Friday. There’s a group of residents advocating for the cancellation because Palm Springs has a significant elder population. The concern is a large gathering will make the virus situation worse.

I‘m still planning to attend the PS Weekend at this time. My bigger concern is that California enacts a quarantine between now and then. I have a tentative business trip to LA in two weeks as well. My company has a travel prohibition on nonessential travel and this LA trip might get canceled.

It has just been announced that the entire two week Indian Wells tennis tournament, which was supposed to start tomorrow morning, has been cancelled because of the COVID-19 threat. It is one of the biggest tennis events in the world, and the most important event in this area after Coachella, which may also be cancelled. The tourist economy here is going to take a huge economic hit.

It has just been announced that the entire two week Indian Wells tennis tournament, which was supposed to start tomorrow morning, has been cancelled because of the COVID-19 threat. It is one of the biggest tennis events in the world, and the most important event in this area after Coachella, which may also be cancelled. The tourist economy here is going to take a huge economic hit.

wow......that's colossal news......enormous impact in many varied ways......

I am thinking many of these are based on more financial risk of lawsuits vs actual risk. Not to say that there is not a risk.

In NYC the cases have doubled in the last two days but they number under 400. If they continue to double, now that would become very serious, very fast. But as people are aware and taking precautions and the known cases are quarantined, the curve of new cases will likely flatten and then decrease,

One know exposure had led to the closing of a school district. Columbia University has closed down classes for a few days.

It would seem that densely populated areas would be at greatest risk for transmission. so the NYC and NYS emergency precautions are valid.

All that being said, I am still planning on coming to PS and then to a medical convention in LA afterwards.

I am still planning to follow through on my travel plans for the next three months: Fort Lauderdale, Indianapolis, Palm Springs, Las Vegas, and Indianapolis again.

And if my employer quarantines me for flying commercial airlines, so be it! I think I would love not needing to dress for the office as springtime temps return to Central Ohio.

The Coachella Music Festival is being postponed to the weekends of October 9 & 16. All the same artists are scheduled to perform. If the coronavirus is contained and panic subsides, Coachella can still happen, just 6 months later.

As for the Indian Wells tennis tournament getting rescheduled, I have my doubts since every week of the tennis calendar is already filled. There is chatter of moving Indian Wells to the week of Shanghai (also a Masters 1000 tournament with the same number of ranking points & almost as much prize money), which assumes that China will not have coronavirus under control but the US will. Or if it's under control in both countries, IW is assuming that Shanghai will just forfeit its spot. That sounds like a lot to assume, and you know what happens when you assume.

Just learned that the business trip that was the tail end of my stay in California will not be paid for by my employer. So now I have five days in California after Palm Springs with nothing on may schedule. Sounds like a vacation provided the virus cooperates.