Do you have a special Thanksgiving side dish?

amused1
This topic is 2015 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a leech on this thread as I don't prepare any side-dishes, but I sure have consumed them (sweet potatoes, cornbread, gravy, lima beans, creamed onions...somebody stop me!) . My consistent favorite is the dressing. The most memorable turkey dressing I've ever had was a chestnut dressing. Beyond that, my mother's mince pie. I was the only one in my family that liked mince pie, which kept me in mom's mince pie for a long time after Thanksgiving.

PerfumedAmazingDikdik-small.gif

My family has a fairly odd but nice stuffing, traditional bread base, we cook turkey giblets, then grind them all up. Dried bread, ground giblet meat, raisins, chopped hard boiled egg, chopped sweet pickle, celery, onion...mix all up with some of the giblet stock. Stuff into turkey or casserole on the side. It’s unusual, but somehow the combo works for a sweeter not savory stuffing.

Home made ice cream, I didn't think it was that big a deal until I didn't bring it one year and there was nearly a revolution. But I guess that's not really a side dish. I did take over making the mashed potatoes as apparently I was the only person who owned a ricer and I was tired of being served a bucket of paste glue.

No Thanksgiving thread is complete until you have felt the fear of the turkey. Whether it’s in preparing it or trying to run from it. So without further ado, I present my annual “oh my God it’s a turkey” Thanksgiving video.

She was later pecked to death after her battery wouldn’t start and tried making a run for it.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know lots of families have creamed onions, but for some reason we always had the plain boiled pearl onions that come in a jar. I think everything else on the table was fresh and homemade, but I guess my grandmother or someone decided peeling and boiling her own onions wasn't any better than the jar. So, we always have them. I would miss them if we didn't.

I like to make a cranberry chutney. The recipe I use has kind of a savory flavor to it because it has quite a bit of onion. When I host Thanksgiving dinner, it triggers my control issues because I don't like any of what I call "desserts masquerading as side dishes" at Thanksgiving dinner. But if I have even a handful of guests, of course somebody's going to bring glorified rice, somebody else will bring sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top and so on. I just have to take a deep breath and let it all happen.

@sync @Nvr2Thick We need a link to a good recipe for creamed onions!

I wish I could help, but I wouldn't offer my cooking to anyone not on death row. My mother was an apprentice to an exceptional cook and carried it forward. I have emotionally kicked myself many times for not having paid attention while my mother was preparing meals.

I'll be in charge of the green bean casserole this year, as always......I use the Trader Joe's recipe, which is much better than the classic Campbell's Soup one......

https://homemadeincredible.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/trader-joes-green-bean-casserole/

I've mentioned here before about the tragic year Grandmother was in charge of the gravy and added powdered sugar instead of flour (it wasn't her house)......the family talked about it for years after......