Sugar Is KILLING Us - Seriously

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1693 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been using this online tool to see how much carbs/fat/protein are in the stuff I eat. It also breaks out sugar. Although it says recipe and I mostly eat food I make from scratch, there are a lot of prepared and restaurant foods in the database. You don't have to have an account just to enter a list of stuff and get the digits. It helped me adjust a few things I was eating just a little bit too much of...

https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the diet in Sugar Busters and lost 20 lbs. I also began walking 8 miles a day...I now weigh the same as I did in high school..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sugar-Busters-Cut-Trim-Fat/dp/0964814900/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EQ6DNZKP5PXECR2G44RR

I lost about 45# once on Sugar Busters. Ironically I was just talking to some friends about it today. I always called it a “superset” of a sort of Atkins...or nowadays “Keto”.

I’m a big believer in what works for one person doesn’t always work for another. The no sugar, low carb worked for me...I always had lots of energy too.

Edited by MikeBiDude

I’m a big believer in what works for one person doesn’t always work for another.

I believe this is key. It's why when people ask me what I do, I spend a lot time talking about how I didn't adopt any existing plan, I did a lot of research (and still do), identified useful tools, and made changes slowly, so as to avoid bad reactions that can happen from abrupt changes, and to see what fit me. Whatever strategy one develops, adherence is key.

To underscore this, a couple of people I had shared with took time to find a custom strategy that worked for them and have seen lasting results, while one person didn't and not too surprisingly, hasn't seen any changes.

As an example, here is a horrible story about an alleged professional imposing her own bias onto a person who had found a strategy that worked to help her cope with what could possibly be an eating disorder.

For 3 Weeks, I Gave Up Intermittent Fasting For Intuitive Eating and Here's Why I Hated It

My point is not to advocate for or against any of the strategies mentioned in the article, but to point out that, as the story is told, it really appears the nutritionist allowed her apparent personal dislike for IF to advocate a one size fits all strategy to someone it is clearly not appropriate for and most significantly, that person allowed her life to be totally destabilized. I think the hilarious part is everyone was so clueless about this, the nutritionist's name is used in the article. I think she's lucky the end of the story is not getting a complaint filed against her.

My advice? Do your own research and develop a strategy that works for you. If someone tells you something, don't hesitate to ask them to show you recent research that supports their point. If all they do is point to the string of letters after their name, walk away.

Processed foods lead to weight gain, but it's about more than calories

This was surprising to me:

...ultra-processed foods make up a staggering 57.9% of energy intake in the United States.

When I go shopping, I frequently notice families with kids with tons of ultra processed food in the cart. I was telling myself this was just anecdotal. Perhaps not...

• 4 weeks later...
Recently, I've been watching lots of documentaries on Amazon Prime about the food we are consuming.

Frankly, we are killing ourselves with the processed food we are consuming.

Just look around at the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease.

Anyone else come to a realization that each of us needs to change our dietary habits?

So true... thanks for sharing

• 3 weeks later...

I stopped drinking fruit juices for the same reason I stopped drinking soda. A glass of fruit juice can have as much if not more sugar than soda. Don't kid yourself that fruit juices are healthy just because they're a natural sugar.

Besides, a paleo dieter will tell you that there is nothing "natural" about the fruit we eat today. Modern apples, oranges, plums, etc. have been so selectively bred that they are nothing like their progenitors, which were much smaller and had far lower amounts of fructose.

I stopped drinking fruit juices for the same reason I stopped drinking soda. A glass of fruit juice can have as much if not more sugar than soda. Don't kid yourself that fruit juices are healthy just because they're a natural sugar.

Besides, a paleo dieter will tell you that there is nothing "natural" about the fruit we eat today. Modern apples, oranges, plums, etc. have been so selectively bred that they are nothing like their progenitors, which were much smaller and had far lower amounts of fructose.

Agree, if you're going to drink fruit juice at least drink one that has 'pulp' in it, or juice your own fruit and eat the pulp separately. (Better still juice vegetables and incorporate the pulp in your cooking.) I wouldn't stress about modern varieties of fruit, they are bigger and have more fructose but they have more fibre-bearing flesh too.

Interesting thread... I was all excited about seeing the impact on my cholesterol after not eating meat for 6 months. My doc called... yes the cholesterol is down (considerably) but my sugars more than quadrupled. I apparently over compensated eating too much fruit. Cut back on the grapes and mangoes which I love!

Interesting thread... I was all excited about seeing the impact on my cholesterol after not eating meat for 6 months. My doc called... yes the cholesterol is down (considerably) but my sugars more than quadrupled. I apparently over compensated eating too much fruit. Cut back on the grapes and mangoes which I love!

Interesting. I have read conflicting info on fruits. Apparently berries, apples etc are considered good-in moderation of course.

Processed sugar is very bad, but if you’re addicted to fruit like me...

Teaspoons of sugar in 85 grams of fruit

Grapes 3.54 (10-15 grapes)

Mangoes 3.1

Cherries 2.7

Bananas 2.5

Kiwi 2.3

Tangerine 2.25

Apples 2.20

Pears 2.10

Blueberries 2.1

Oranges 2.0

Peaches 1.8

Nectarine 1.6

Grapefruit 1.4

Watermelon 1.3

Papaya 1.25

Avocado 1.0

Strawberries 1.0

Processed sugar is very bad, but if you’re addicted to fruit like me...

Teaspoons of sugar in 85 grams of fruit

Grapes 3.54 (10-15 grapes)

Mangoes 3.1

Cherries 2.7

Bananas 2.5

Kiwi 2.3

Tangerine 2.25

Apples 2.20

Pears 2.10

Blueberries 2.1

Oranges 2.0

Peaches 1.8

Nectarine 1.6

Grapefruit 1.4

Watermelon 1.3

Papaya 1.25

Avocado 1.0

Strawberries 1.0

From what I read-and this is the interwebz-this sugar is different than just plain sugar. Because fruit has fiber also and so processes differently-if eaten whole?

But in your case you said sugar level quadrapuled -did you eat whoe fruit or just juice/smoothie.

I think it's probably true that ingesting sugar in the form of fresh fruit is qualitatively different from eating processed sugar. That doesn't mean it's a "free" food, like green vegetables. My partner loves fresh fruit and easily goes overboard with it. When this happens, he invariably starts to develop a gut, and wonders "why?" I always remind him that he can't eat unlimited quantities of fresh fruit, no matter how good for you it is supposed to be. When he dials it back, the gut disappears very quickly.

From what I read-and this is the interwebz-this sugar is different than just plain sugar. Because fruit has fiber also and so processes differently-if eaten whole?

But in your case you said sugar level quadrapuled -did you eat whoe fruit or just juice/smoothie.

Good question... I’ve always been conscious of processed sugar intake but I eat a lot of fruit both whole and juiced. On the juicing front, I make my own from fresh fruit and only add water. I never thought about the possibility of juice having a different impact. Worth some research!

• 4 weeks later...

Evidence for sugar addiction: Behavioral and neurochemical effects of intermittent, excessive sugar intake

Very interesting and well done study. Harkens to the days of tobacco. I'm sure the food conglomerates will squash these types of findings.

"Food is not ordinarily like a substance of abuse, but intermittent bingeing and deprivation changes that. Based on the observed behavioral and neurochemical similarities between the effects of intermittent sugar access and drugs of abuse, we suggest that sugar, as common as it is, nonetheless meets the criteria for a substance of abuse and may be “addictive” for some individuals when consumed in a “binge-like” manner. This conclusion is reinforced by the changes in limbic system neurochemistry that are similar for the drugs and for sugar. The effects we observe are smaller in magnitude than those produced by drug of abuse such as cocaine or morphine; however, the fact that these behaviors and neurochemical changes can be elicited with a natural reinforcer is interesting. "

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

• 1 month later...

Anybody else a big fan of Pinterest? I have a great interest in Civil War photos and came across on Pinterest the photo below of a Civil War soldier who died 157 years ago - before the advent of the large Slurpee and sugar-laden snacks. Notice how decay-free this gentleman's teeth appear to be ( though I can't see his front teeth from the photo)? Halloween is coming soon- the celebration of King Sugar.

618bf1d16b9cde43602c66a239cfab3d.jpg

Or, the 500-year-old Buddhist monk's mummy found in a monastery high up in the Himalayas:

http://www.freshtips.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/momia-1.jpg