Sugar Is KILLING Us - Seriously

MasssageGuy
This topic is 1689 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Kombucha is great for a low sugar (usually like 5-7 grams/serving) thirst quench - more pricey than soda, but a way better option when looking for a fizzy thirst quench. Lots of awesome flavors out there, my favorite being GT’s brand “Trilogy” or “Watermelon Wonder”

Not everyone likes Kombucha - it is a fermented drink that can be too vinegary / acidic for some people - but it is lovely on a hot day.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Type 1 is difficult. I know of some people who got off medication from type 2 by a strict diet and exercise and losing weight. My cousin and a few acquaintances. Also know a few people who no matter what they do, never get off type 2 either.

Type 1 is tough though-I know one person who got it as a teen. If they ever make insulin shots in the form of a pill-it might be easier!

To me, they're completely separate diseases. The naming convention is unfortunate. Type II is "insulin resistance" in which your system needs more and more insulin to produce the same effect. It is at least parially reversible through habit change.

Type 1 is an inability to produce sufficient insulin and is usually irreversible.

In my mind, there is a big difference between the two. But I make my living drawing distinctions so others might not see such a big difference.

I am vegan. I consume no animal products, no processed foods, no extracted sugars and the only added fat in my diet is minimal use of extra-virgin olive oil.

Anything extracted: oils or sugars are indeed “processed”. Eat as much as you can foods in their natural state.

Vegetable oils are actually good for you and associated with lower mortality. There is no reason to avoid vegetable oils (unless you're frying with them, which saturates the unsaturated fats). Fish oils are also good for you, although, of course, a vegan wouldn't consume fish oils.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/77/2/319/4689669

Vegetable oils are actually good for you and associated with lower mortality. There is no reason to avoid vegetable oils (unless you're frying with them, which saturates the unsaturated fats). Fish oils are also good for you, although, of course, a vegan wouldn't consume fish oils.

Actually, I have eliminated any added oils whatsoever.

https://nutritionstudies.org/plant-oils-are-not-a-healthy-alternative-to-saturated-fat/

I miss the days of frying a couple of eggs in bacon fat.

I read that while using Splenda may have no effect on human cells, it causes havoc to the bacteria living in your digestional tract. I don't know how true that is, but I recommend using Stevia. I like the Pyure brands organic Stevia Blend. Doesn't have that nasty metallic aftertaste the cheaper stuff does.

But you’re still consuming something that’s processed and lord knows what process was used.

This is a more healthful way to go:

https://www.iherb.com/pr/Organic-Traditions-Stevia-Leaf-Powder-3-5-oz-100-g/81951?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIupbrjdLr3gIVlCCtBh1dsAhQEAQYAiABEgJ9SPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Interesting that this article you linked doesn't cite a single scientific study. It's just some dude professing a personal opinion.

Actually this "Dude", is a distinguished PhD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._Colin_Campbell

He has published fact based scientific research on how important plant based diets are to our health.

Humans are a unique species in that we can decide what we ingest or not. We also have a highly developed brain so we can learn and decide what we put into our bodies.

Actually this "Dude", is a distinguished PhD.

And I'm a distinguished M.D. As a distinguished Ph.D., Dr. Campbell should know better than to write an article without referencing studies to back up his claims. I cited one, but there are others which show that vegetable oils have positive health benefits. Yes, and some (such as olive) are probably better than others. An article which someone merely espouses an opinion is not the same thing as showing a study based on facts and scientific inquiry.

Edited by Unicorn

And I'm a distinguished M.D. As a distinguished Ph.D., Dr. Campblell should know better than to write an article without referencing studies to back up his claims. I cited one, but there are others which show that vegetable oils have positive health benefits. Yes, and some (such as olive) are probably better than others. An article which someone merely espouses an opinion is not the same thing as showing a study based on facts and scientific inquiry.

Show me fact based research that claims we need additional oil in our diet other than what occurs naturally in plants. We simply don't need it. We keep eating refined products that have deleterious impacts on our health.

https://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2015/04/the-good-bad-and-ugly-about-oils/#gs.N4ckJWM

The topic of the post is Sugar, BTW.

Recently, I've been watching lots of documentaries on Amazon Prime about the food we are consuming.

Frankly, we are killing ourselves with the processed food we are consuming.

Just look around at the epidemic of obesity, diabetes, heart disease.

Anyone else come to a realization that each of us needs to change our dietary habits?

Life is killing us.

But seriously - sugar is a huge problem. I firmly believe that most people don't eat enough during a regular day (though I'm sure @Rudynate does!) and have weight issues and digestive problems because of sugar. This is a result of the sugar lobby which convinced the American public that the problem was fat, not sugar, which resulted in the low-fat, diet bullshit craze that led to increased sugar and processing of food (because you've got to process foods to alter their typical fat content and because you've got to make sure people will still eat it without fat - which we love to do when it's got more sugar in place of the fat) which eventually led to so many fat asses. And diabetes. And hypertension. And heart failure. And hospitalizations and procedures and bills and doctors visits and skyrocketing insurance rates and political infighting and people going bankrupt and premature deaths or way-overdue deaths. For sugar.

Part of changing reality about our health is changing the conversations about our food. Our bodies need fat but they don't need sugar provided you are eating a sufficient amount of quality carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, beans, vegetables, etc.) Getting a balance of whole foods with healthy fats, lean proteins, and whole-food carbs does wonders for your physical well-being, body composition, health indicators, and mental health. The sad part is a lot of people don't know what to eat or how to prepare foods that they like, or worse, they are unable to afford to buy healthful foods and/or live in a food desert, where they can't get healthful foods. What gives me some hope is that food manufacturers seem to be adapting to food trends like using whole grains, organic/sustainable, etc - what will need to shift the most is people's willingness to make choices that are more healthful and give themselves time to adapt to different foods and tastes and different ways of thinking about food.

But, still, at the end of the day, we're all gonna die.

This is a result of the sugar lobby which convinced the American public that the problem was fat,

Big Sugar gets no love from me, but there was a guy named Ancel Keys who made his career putting forward the dietary fat = body fat hypothesis and Big Sugar was just happy to help suppress any evidence to the contrary.

Ancel Keys: The Sugar Controversy

In 1972,
was published, written by
for a lay readership. Its intention was to summarize the evidence that the over-consumption of sugar was leading to a greatly increased incidence of coronary thrombosis, and that in addition it was certainly involved in dental caries, probably involved in obesity, diabetes and
, and possibly involved in
and some

Yudkin ended the first Chapter: "I hope that when you have read this book I shall have convinced you that sugar is really dangerous." This message was extremely unwelcome to the sugar industry and manufacturers of
. The final Chapter of
Pure, White and Deadly
lists several examples of attempts to interfere with the funding of his research and to prevent its publication. It also refers to the rancorous language and personal smears used by Ancel Keys to dismiss the evidence that sugar was the true culprit.

The efforts to discredit the case against sugar were largely successful, and by the time of Yudkin's death in 1995 his warnings were, for the most part, no longer being taken seriously.

Yudkin's arguments and evidence for the dangers of sugar were the focus of several articles in the
of 19 January 2013.

In 2009,
, a pediatric endocrinologist of the University of California, San Francisco, Medical School who has a special interest in childhood obesity, made a video called
Sugar: The Bitter Truth
. Lustig had independently re-discovered and confirmed Yudkin's findings and, taking aim at Keys, asked his audience, "Am I debunking?"

Entropy wins in the end. Nothing escapes it.

Sugar is indeed a very serious issue and I'm glad awareness about it continues to grow. It's the modern day cigarette. Hopefully, 50 years from now, we will have sugar much more under control than we currently do because the amount of suffering created and the hundreds of billions wasted every year are outrageous and unsustainable.

What I find is that they consistently mess it up if they deviate from their batter...but I’m fine with sunny side

Life is killing us.

But seriously - sugar is a huge problem. I firmly believe that most people don't eat enough during a regular day (though I'm sure @Rudynate does!) and have weight issues and digestive problems because of sugar. This is a result of the sugar lobby which convinced the American public that the problem was fat, not sugar, which resulted in the low-fat, diet bullshit craze that led to increased sugar and processing of food (because you've got to process foods to alter their typical fat content and because you've got to make sure people will still eat it without fat - which we love to do when it's got more sugar in place of the fat) which eventually led to so many fat asses. And diabetes. And hypertension. And heart failure. And hospitalizations and procedures and bills and doctors visits and skyrocketing insurance rates and political infighting and people going bankrupt and premature deaths or way-overdue deaths. For sugar.

Part of changing reality about our health is changing the conversations about our food. Our bodies need fat but they don't need sugar provided you are eating a sufficient amount of quality carbohydrates (potatoes, rice, beans, vegetables, etc.) Getting a balance of whole foods with healthy fats, lean proteins, and whole-food carbs does wonders for your physical well-being, body composition, health indicators, and mental health. The sad part is a lot of people don't know what to eat or how to prepare foods that they like, or worse, they are unable to afford to buy healthful foods and/or live in a food desert, where they can't get healthful foods. What gives me some hope is that food manufacturers seem to be adapting to food trends like using whole grains, organic/sustainable, etc - what will need to shift the most is people's willingness to make choices that are more healthful and give themselves time to adapt to different foods and tastes and different ways of thinking about food.

But, still, at the end of the day, we're all gonna die.

Changing tastes and habits isn't that hard. When I was in junior high school, my mother read an article in Reader's Digest about how unhealthy sugary breakfast cereals and white bread were. She decided we were done with them. She started buying oatmeal, shredded wheat, cheerios and whole wheat bread. We HATED it. But she wouldn't give in. A couple times my father brought white bread home and she chewed him a new asshole. Eventually, we could see she wasn't giving in and we started eating the Cheerios and the oatmeal and whole wheat bread. We didn't like it but we did it. And the longer we ate it, the more we developed a taste for it. After some months, we didn't even miss the old stuff.

@Rudynate you’re right. I’m shocked at how satisfied I am with my borderline vegan tendencies. And I make a cashew cheesecake that is to die for!

I love cashew cheesecake. I've only made it once because it was so much work, but it was really oustanding. We used to have a natural foods bakery here , called "Now and Zen." Their cakes had a distinct health foodey taste to them, but once you got used to that, I thought they were really great. I think you could use cashew butter as a shortcut for the cheesecake.

What I find is that they consistently mess it up if they deviate from their batter...but I’m fine with sunny side up

What I find with ordering scrambled eggs in restaurants is that they usually overcook them. Good soft-scrambled eggs are somewhat of an art. I don't eat breakfast out very often because it's become so absurdly expensive. There's something wrong with paying $40.00 or more for breakfast for two.

I keep hearing diet is just as bad-why it has zero sugar and no carbs-is it the other ingredients and how does it affect?

I have a simple philosophy that helps me determine what food I eat. If I cannot pronounce the ingredient, i.e. aspartame, etc., I don't consume it or buy it.

There is growing evidence that the artificial sweeteners are screwing up metabolism.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/07/11/200488420/do-diet-drinks-mess-up-metabolisms

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688

Of course, the beverage industry will say no it does not. Just as tobacco industry did with their products.

And so it goes.

Soda is the horrible too. It is ubiquitous and nobody notices how much they gulp down with every meal-if you eat outside. I keep hearing diet is just as bad-why it has zero sugar and no carbs-is it the other ingredients and how does it affect?

Carbonated drinks in general aren't good. The carbonic acid is bad for your tooth enamel and it can leach calcium from your bones by altering your blood pH. I drink 2 or 3 diet cokes in a week. I have seen articles that say that any sweet drink, whether sweetened with sugar or an artificial sweetener can contribute to insulin resistance.