My Meds

Avalon
This topic is 1919 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since we have doctors here I thought that I'd share a list of my meds

All prescription

Insulin

Famotidine

Allopurinol

Anastrozole

Pioglitazone

Ibuprofen

Atorvastitin

Amlodipine

Losartan/HCTZ

Janument

And over the counter

Calcium

Asperin

Antibiotic Cream

Methyl Pro

and don't you forget about your walker!

OMG... That is a ton of medication.

I have recently switched to a whole foods plant based diet. Some great documentaries (fact based science) on Amazon Prime on how processed food is killing us.

There are documented cases where changing diet will dramatically improve health.

http://a.co/d/2txPkIf

Thanks! I just do what my doctor says.

I have diabetes, diabetes neuropathy (toe pain), high blood pressure, gout. A couple of other problems I can't remember.

I take the Methyl Pro for the diabetic toe pain which sometimes can be severe. For several years I have been getting a 90 day supply for $80 from a company through the mail. I've never had a problem until the order I placed in early October. It never arrived. So I placed a new order. They gave me a 20% discount because of the lost order.

I just checked Amazon. They have a 90 day supply for $100. I may start ordering from them. They have a great policy on supplying items not received.

Diabetic toe pain is horrific! Even sometimes with meds I still get it. A blast of pain several times per minute that can last a day or longer.

Why do you take anastrazole? That's an anti-estrogen drug used for breast cancer.

I don't know. It's just what the doctor prescribed. Does Ibuprofen "eat" one's gut? I think there is one I take that counteracts that. Maybe that's the one?

Several years ago before I started getting meds in the mail I remember the pharmacist took me aside to talk to me about one of the meds because he thought that I had cancer.

Once a year I get a call from the place I get my meds in the mail from and they go over my list to see if there are any conflicts.

I take the Methyl Pro for the diabetic toe pain which sometimes can be severe. For several years I have been getting a 90 day supply for $80 from a company through the mail. I've never had a problem until the order I placed in early October. It never arrived. So I placed a new order. They gave me a 20% discount because of the lost order.

I just checked Amazon. They have a 90 day supply for $100. I may start ordering from them. They have a great policy on supplying items not received.

Diabetic toe pain is horrific! Even sometimes with meds I still get it. A blast of pain several times per minute that can last a day or longer.

Chronic pain is awful . I'm glad you're able to address it without opiates.

The drug @Rudynate mentioned apparently balances out testosterone levels and maintains sperm count in infertile men. Avalon, maybe it would make sense to review all medications with your doctors and see if they are still necessary.

Chronic pain is awful . I'm glad you're able to address it without opiates.

The drug @Rudynate mentioned apparently balances out testosterone levels and maintains sperm count in infertile men. Avalon, maybe it would make sense to review all medications with your doctors and see if they are still necessary.

You mentioned testosterone. Thanks! I have low t. In fact when I used to see my doctor I used to get a t shot.

Guest europeanman

@Avalon Have you tried to work with a physician who will look if there is an underlying cause? Often the different illnesses we have are expressions of the same underlying cause.

To digress slightly, my doc recently prescribed meloxicam for minor arthritis pain. It's an NSAID like ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin, etc., but is effective for 24 hrs. so I take it once a day and I'm good to go. As a long-acting anti-inflammatory, it kills the cycle of inflammation returning every six hours or whatever that OTC NSAIDs create.

Obviously YMMV, people have far more complicated issues with pain than I, but it was a bit of a revelation to me as I was popping ibu, naprox etc. all during the day. I had never heard of it, so mention it if others may find it useful to ask their drs about it.

Antibiotic cream? Does this mean you have open lesions or sores from your diabetes? If so, are you getting in home wound care?

Last Fall I got what I called a "wound" but the doctor called an abrasion on the inside of my upper left leg. From December through February I saw the doctor a dozen times. Then once at the end of March. I was to go back in early May but fell in April. He tried medicated bandages but they fell off. He tried wrapping it but it persisted. I kept putting antibiotic cream on it continually. It finally healed up only a couple of months ago.

Then I got something on both lower arms and my right lower leg. It wasn't bug bites. Comes and goes so I keep putting antibiotic cream on it. I know I shouldn't have but sometimes it itched so badly that I scratched my leg until it bled.

To digress slightly, my doc recently prescribed meloxicam for minor arthritis pain. It's an NSAID like ibuprofen, naproxen, aspirin, etc., but is effective for 24 hrs. so I take it once a day and I'm good to go. As a long-acting anti-inflammatory, it kills the cycle of inflammation returning every six hours or whatever that OTC NSAIDs create.

Obviously YMMV, people have far more complicated issues with pain than I, but it was a bit of a revelation to me as I was popping ibu, naprox etc. all during the day. I had never heard of it, so mention it if others may find it useful to ask their drs about it.

I would check with your doctor about how often you should take meloxicam. Our doctor gave it to my spouse, but he said not to use it as a routine daily medication, only when necessary.

The famitodine is your stomach medication. It reduces stomach acid.

Famotidne, in addition to being an antacid, is also an anti-inflammatory. I know because they gave me an IV of it when I had to go to the ER after my crazy dentist gave me penicillin (which I'm allergic to).

The famitodine is your stomach medication. It reduces stomach acid. It's very similar to Zantac. I used to take Zantac until it quit working for me. Then I had to go to Prilosec which is much stronger at reducing acid. I've been on Prilosec or one of its cousins since around 1995.

Gman

Famotidne, in addition to being an antacid, is also an anti-inflammatory. I know because they gave me an IV of it when I had to go to the ER after my crazy dentist gave me penicillin (which I'm allergic to).

It's not really an anti-inflammatory as we think of aspirin, naprosyn, or ibuprofen. It's actually a histamine (receptor) blocker. Histamine release causes other substances to be released which cause swelling and itching. It's not an antacid either. Antacids are "basically" bases. They neutralize acids.

Famitodine, Ranitidine (Zantac), and Cimetidine (Tagamet-I believe at one time the most prescribed drug-not anymore due to side effects)are histamine receptor blockers. The histamine receptor when stimulated causes the release of histamine. Histamine also causes the release of stomach acid which is why you take Famitodine, Zantac, or Tagamet for acid indigestion.

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

From December through February I saw the doctor a dozen times. Then once at the end of March. I was to go back in early May but fell in April.

From this and other posts, I think we understand that -- despite serious health issues, despite your need for many prescription medications -- you are now in MONTH 8 of NOT HAVING SEEN A DOCTOR or any other healthcare professional. (And right on the heels of needing to see the doctor 12 TIMES in 2-3 months.)

It baffles me that any competent doctor, knowing your health issues, possibly knowing that your situation has deteriorated enough that you are now homebound, would keep renewing your prescriptions for this many months without insisting on seeing you (or having his office staff help you arrange to be seen and assessed by a home healthcare provider).

Posting a list of your pills here, inviting others to comment on them (when you haven't paid enough attention to why your own doctor has prescribed them -- "I just do what my doctor says") is a waste of your time. Trying to be helpful to you has so far been a waste of ours … but let's try again:

I believe you have made some calls to healthcare/social service agencies and have come up empty so far in getting the assistance you need to either (a.) get to the doctor or (b.) have a healthcare professional make a home visit to you. I strongly suggest you try again, and keep trying until you succeed.

From this and other posts, I think we understand that -- despite serious health issues, despite your need for many prescription medications -- you are now in MONTH 8 of NOT HAVING SEEN A DOCTOR or any other healthcare professional. (And right on the heels of needing to see the doctor 12 TIMES in 2-3 months.)

It baffles me that any competent doctor, knowing your health issues, possibly knowing that your situation has deteriorated enough that you are now homebound, would keep renewing your prescriptions for this many months without insisting on seeing you (or having his office staff help you arrange to be seen and assessed by a home healthcare provider).

Posting a list of your pills here, inviting others to comment on them (when you haven't paid enough attention to why your own doctor has prescribed them -- "I just do what my doctor says") is a waste of your time. Trying to be helpful to you has so far been a waste of ours … but let's try again:

I believe you have made some calls to healthcare/social service agencies and have come up empty so far in getting the assistance you need to either (a.) get to the doctor or (b.) have a healthcare professional make a home visit to you. I strongly suggest you try again, and keep trying until you succeed.

Wholeheartedly agree. It almost seems like this forum has become a replacement for the actual help you need. Listing a dozen drugs for the possible medical professionals on this board is not substitute for seeing an actual doctor and not knowing the purpose of taking these drugs seems irresponsible.

@Avalon please heed this advice. You MUST break through whatever arguments/fears/concerns (excuses?) are keeping you housebound and get to a doctor. (And haircut and shave as you’ve also mentioned:))

I understand the pull of ignoring the situation. Get on the phone and don’t get off until you have an assisted way to get to your doctor. Suggestions abound here on the forum. Think Nike:

EFAB0-DF4-128-C-48-A4-AB8-A-505-D9-ECFAD61.jpg

Bravo, MikebiDude, 510guy, and Moondance. I've been urging and probing Avalon for sometime now to get help. He refuses to do so. Others on this list seem to think that somehow he will eventually come around. I disagree wholeheartedly with them, Avalon is too far down the rabbit hole. When he runs out of prescription meds and the pharmacy and doctors refuse to renew them, perhaps then he will wake up.