My Meds

Avalon
This topic is 1933 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Does he know you're housebound and can't come to him?

I'm pretty sure you posted that he wouldn't give you more refills without a visit. Is that right?

He knows that I'm homeboud. I've called his office several times; even spoke to him once.

He does give me refills without seeing me. I've been taking these meds for years. I get some by mail. I called the place that provides them on 1 November (Thursday). Several were ready for refill but several needed new prescriptions from my doctor. When my landlord brought my mail the following Tuesday there was a bag of meds. Quick work!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He knows that I'm homeboud. I've called his office several times; even spoke to him once.

He does give me refills without seeing me. I've been taking these meds for years. I get some by mail. I called the place that provides them on 1 November (Thursday). Several were ready for refill but several needed new prescriptions from my doctor. When my landlord brought my mail the following Tuesday there was a bag of meds. Quick work!

What was his response when you told him? Did he offer to arrange transport to his office? Suggest another provider who can visit you?

What was his response when you told him? Did he offer to arrange transport to his office? Suggest another provider who can visit you?

He was sympathetic. Back after I fell I looked around for help thinking I'd need a nursing home. I heard an ad on the radio for a group that helps people in my situation but they were not in my county nevertheless they thought they could help me. But they wanted my medical records. So I called the doctor's office. When I checked back later that was the time I spoke to the doctor himself. He said the records were sent. So I called them. They said they got them and were working on it. That was months ago but they never called me back.

He was sympathetic. Back after I fell I looked around for help thinking I'd need a nursing home. I heard an ad on the radio for a group that helps people in my situation but they were not in my county nevertheless they thought they could help me. But they wanted my medical records. So I called the doctor's office. When I checked back later that was the time I spoke to the doctor himself. He said the records were sent. So I called them. They said they got them and were working on it. That was months ago but they never called me back.

So you have done some work, but he offered you no help other than sending records? He sounds mediocre at best, and I don't blame you for not making efforts to see him. What about him is so great other than his willingness to keep prescribing meds? I'd find someone else.

This group sounds promising, but they are unlikely to follow up with you. Call them back and speak to the specific person who told you they could help. Tell them your situation again. You may need to do some legwork at first, but it will be worth it.

So he offered you no help other than sending records? I would definitely find someone else. What about him is so great other than his willingness to keep prescribing meds?

This group sounds promising, but they are unlikely to follow up with you. Call them back and speak to the specific person who told you they could help. Tell them your situation again. You may need to chase them down to get on their list, but once you're in, you're good.

After I fell I was scared at first. But now after time has passed I'm happy at home.

@Avalon—you have received manifold advice and support on this forum; yet, you seem unwilling to take control over your situation. You’re obviously a bright fellow, evidenced by your weighty reading choices, but you resist improving your situation. You may be agoraphobic.

How long has it been since you’ve had bloodwork done? Have you had a full cardiac work-up? Are you fearful of the results and possible diagnosis? All of that is understandable. But, unless you resolve to get out of your sanctum and spend a day with clinicians to find out what your current medical situation is, you’ll continue to deteriorate. You have the power to make tomorrow the beginning of a better life.

So you have done some work, but he offered you no help other than sending records? He sounds mediocre at best, and I don't blame you for not making efforts to see him. What about him is so great other than his willingness to keep prescribing meds? I'd find someone else.

This group sounds promising, but they are unlikely to follow up with you. Call them back and speak to the specific person who told you they could help. Tell them your situation again. You may need to do some legwork at first, but it will be worth it.

After I fell I was scared at first. But now after time has passed I'm happy at home.

This reads like a definitive response. Perhaps it is why his doctor has so little contact with Avalon.

Sorry - but he is not a good doctor if he continues to refill your meds without SEEING you. Talking to you doesn't count. No-one in my practice gets routine refills if they don't come in or get labs. Exception - asthma meds or meds for which there is a plan (e.g. - 3 months and then come in.) Not even BP meds or the other stuff you are on!

Sorry - but he is not a good doctor if he continues to refill your meds without SEEING you. Talking to you doesn't count. No-one in my practice gets routine refills if they don't come in or get labs. Exception - asthma meds or meds for which there is a plan (e.g. - 3 months and then come in.) Not even BP meds or the other stuff you are on!

We have only heard Avalon's side, not the doctor's.

My landlord does not know who my doctor is. I wrote out the names and addresses and phone numbers of my niece and cousin and taped it to a closet door. If anything happens to me to let them know.

For LifeAlert I had to give the contact info for two people. I gave my doctor and landlord.

Agreed. At this point, @Avalon, you are almost self-prescribing.

Why do you say you are "happy at home"? Would it not be better to be more mobile and then make the choice to remain at home if that is what works best for you? Or is your phrase merely a representation of your feeling that changing your situation involves too much inconvenience?

Agreed. At this point, @Avalon, you are almost self-prescribing.

Why do you say you are "happy at home"? Would it not be better to be more mobile and then make the choice to remain at home if that is what works best for you? Or is your phrase merely a representation of your feeling that changing your situation involves too much inconvenience?

I have always been somewhat of a hermit. I like being alone. The internet is my human contact.

As I have written before, I think Avalon is not someone whom we can reason with. He has chosen his situation, and he would rather talk about it than actually do anything to change it. It may make us feel good to give him sensible advice, but there is very little of it that he will take. When he does, as with the walker, it feeds us encouragement to keep engaging with him, which is all he really wants. If we stop engaging with him, he will probably make one small move, post about it, and people will engage again to encourage him to do more, but he is really playing us.

As I have written before, I think Avalon is not someone whom we can reason with. He has chosen his situation, and he would rather talk about it than actually do anything to change it. It may make us feel good to give him sensible advice, but there is very little of it that he will take. When he does, as with the walker, it feeds us encouragement to keep engaging with him, which is all he really wants. If we stop engaging with him, he will probably make one small move, post about it, and people will engage again to encourage him to do more, but he is really playing us.

Yes, I think that is how it seems to us. For him, as he says, the internet and this forum are his human contacts and all he is doing is making conversation. Hence the scattershot new threads. The trolling part is when he doesn't quite answer direct questions.

Yes, I think that is how it seems to us. For him, as he says, the internet and this forum are his human contacts and all he is doing is making conversation. Hence the scattershot new threads. The trolling part is when he doesn't quite answer direct questions.

Then are we just being enablers by feeding void of hunan interaction by engaging him in his random thoughts? No logic or reasoning has got him to do anything except order a walker. Some of us feel bad for him and some of us have disdain/mistrust of him but either way it is really getting him no where except allowing him to stay comfortable in never leaving his home.