Bonehead HIs name says it all

purplekow
This topic is 2060 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bonehead. As soon as people hear his name, they laugh and immediately loVe him. How could you not loVe such a sweet and gentle animal and such a goof.

He was born in a puppy mill and sold at a reprehensible pet shop to a family who found out that both his hips were dysplastic and that without surgery he would not see the end of the year. They returned him to the pet shop, which had a policy of euthanizing animals which were returned for medical conditions. One of the temporary employees of the store was a patient of mine and asked me if I would take him in. I was reluctant, but told her to bring him into the office. One look at him, Buddy as he was then known, and it was clear that he did not need to be taken in, because he was already in.

He was impossibly cute, eVen by the high cuteness standards of yellow lab puppies. His dysplastic hips did not slow him down at all and they led to a pronounced sashay when he walked.

I took him home that night and upon entry, he picked up a meat bone which was on the floor, threw it in the air and hit himself in the head.

I was already considering new "B" names, as I did not want him to carry the name bestowed on him at the pet store and as a result of his misguided juggling attempts, Bonehead he became and from then on, he did his best to show why he earned that name.

His first time at the Vet I was told his hips were the terrible. Worst the surgeon had seen and needed almost immediate attention. When I said that he did not appear in pain, I was told that Bonehead probably had just adjusted to the pain but that it was likely intense.

At three months he had the right femoral head, the ball of the ball and socket joint of the hip, remoVed. The next day he was running around as though he ruled the world.

Two weeks later, the left femoral head was taken. Again it took one day until he was running headlong through the house. His surgically altered hips lent his gait a comic quality. His right buttock would nearly hit his head with one step and then the entire rear half of his body would pendulum such that his left buttock would nearly strike the left side of the head.

At the dog park, he was always the star. He befriended other dogs immediately and the people in the park were enchanted by his disposition, his good looks and that walk which could out Giselle, Giselle, out Tyra, Tyra and could make Ru Paul gasp with jealousy.

His puppy mill genetics reared its ugly head during his lifetime. Cancer surgery for mast cell cancer at 6 and at 7. Always a trooper, he rocked the surgical collar with style and flare. A chronically displaced left elbow tolerated with barely a whimper. Then six months ago, a ligament in his rear right knee, the ACL, tore and he needed surgery again.

Again he trooped on through.

After the surgery, I was able to take his to work with me and he was a star. He befriended each person he met. He was greeted by the patients and the staff each day. Bonehead would sidle up to a demented person who was sitting alone and he would place in his head in that person's lap and slowly coax a head rub or an ear massage and then, without fail, he would coax a smile. Frail hands massaged his head.

After he was rehabilitated and he could stay home with the rest of the pack, patient's would ask how he was doing.

Two weeks ago, as I went to run an errand, he refused a treat and then he refused some liVerwurst. I immediately took him to the be seen and I was told he needed emergency surgery.

Again, trooper that he is, he was home and being a Bonehead the next day. The biopsy came back as a hemangiosarcoma which had bled into his abdomen. The prognosis was grim, six to nine months, if he was lucky.

He was not. This afternoon he refused a treat and turned his nose up at liVerwurst. Back to the hospital and as I feared, he had bled into the abdomen again.

I decided to take him home and as I waited, they walked him across the hospital waiting room. He sashayed slowly but with style and grace and I walked him out to the car.

So now, as I write this, he is lying at my feet. Hours, maybe days if he is lucky. He still gets up to follow me as I go around the house. I miss him already.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You have my deepest sympathy. The third and last dog I owned was put down after contracting cancer. My grief was so intense I made the decision to never subject myself to the inevitable loss of a K-9 loved-one again.

While the loss is painful, I had four dogs and one passed a few months ago and now this. The joy and affection and the laughter and the good that you do for their life far outweighs any trauma.

While the loss is painful, I had four dogs and one passed a few months ago and now this. The joy and affection and the laughter and the good that you do for their life.Dear Purplekow- what a sad, touching but remarkable story. I consider you the star for allowing Bone head to have such a happy, life and you gave him 9 lives with the special care and surgeries that you and he endured. He sounds like a special doggie compared to none other. My hope for you and Bone head is that he goes peacefully. He will remain forever in your heart. My sincerest wishes to you.

Dear Purplekow- what a sad, touching but remarkable story. I consider you the star for allowing Bonehead to have such a happy life and you gave him 9 lives with the special care and surgeries that you and he endured. He sounds like a special doggie compared to none other. My hope for you and Bone head is that he goes peacefully. He will remain forever in your heart. My sincerest wishes to you.

Thank you all for your support and understanding. Bonehead passed quietly on the kitchen floor next to the refrigerator where he had been lying on a blanket for about 5 hours. It is fitting that he would pass next to the refrigerator because food was his passion. A quiet an unassuming friendly dog, he would knock his pack mates out of the way to lick up a fallen crumb. I must say he was obedient and waited his turn when the group played do you Accept this Snausage. He would wait patiently While I asked: Ben do you accept this Snausage and Ben did and ate it. Then Bear do you accept this Snausage and Bear gently took his. Brandy do you accept this Snausage and she snatched hers. Finally, Bonehead, do you accept this Snausage and you almost hear him saying, of course I do and watch those fingers if you don't want to lose them. Now Ben is gone and Bonehead has joined him, I miss them both but count myself lucky to hawe had them in my life.

Thank you all for your support and understanding. Bonehead passed quietly on the kitchen floor next to the refrigerator where he had been lying on a blanket for about 5 hours. It is fitting that he would pass next to the refrigerator because food was his passion. A quiet an unassuming friendly dog, he would knock his pack mates out of the way to lick up a fallen crumb. I must say he was obedient and waited his turn when the group played do you Accept this Snausage. He would wait patiently While I asked: Ben do you accept this Snausage and Ben did and ate it. Then Bear do you accept this Snausage and Bear gently took his. Brandy do you accept this Snausage and she snatched hers. Finally, Bonehead, do you accept this Snausage and you almost hear him saying, of course I do and watch those fingers if you don't want to lose them. Now Ben is gone and Bonehead has joined him, I miss them both but count myself lucky to hawe had them in my life.

Very sad news. Sending prayers for you tonight. Bonehead is gone, but his memory is forever...

Just to complete the story. I needed to take Bonehead to the hospital so that cremation could be done. His weight was too much for me to manage. I did get him onto a rug and was able to pull him through my house and out the front door to my car, but then, sweaty, hearty racing and with a tear stained face, I could not get him into the car. I went to a neighbor but only the eighty year matriarch was home. I called the police and was filled with relief that they would send some officers to help. Within ten minutes they were there asking what I needed. When I showed them the dog and explained about needing to get him in the car, they both said they were allergic to dogs and did not want to risk a medical situation. One of them finally agreed to help when I managed to get a board under him and all he had to do was lift one end of the board. I appreciated the help but doesn't it seem a bit odd that the police would send two dog allergic officers to help get a dog in a car? My guess is that neither was allergic and it was only after I had to take the blanket off Bonehead and they actually saw the job and the earthly remains that they both were looking for a way out.