Have You Turned The Heat On Yet?

Avalon
This topic is 2053 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here in the Northern Hemisphere we are in the transition between Summer and Autumn. The highs are in the 80sF and the lows in the 50sF.

I have my thermostat a/c set at 78F. And it comes on in the evenings. In the early morning it says the inside temp is in the low 70sF. I use my blanket in bed.

My a/c is electric and heat is gas. The gas is alot more expensive. Thus I put off turning the heat on as long as possible.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never once turned on the heat in my condo in the 13 years I've lived here.

The building has a central boiler, and a two pipe system where, when it's turned on in the late fall, hot water runs through a pipe embedded in the concrete floor. It's great once winter sets in, and it stays cold outside. Nice and warm inside. However, in fall and spring, when heat is turned on, and it's 60 degrees outside, it becomes 80+ degrees inside.

My windows only face one direction, so opening them really doesn't help because no cross breeze. I've run my ac, if warm enough outside to do so, as late as November, and as early as March. Small price to pay since its included in my association fee, and I never have to pay a separate bill (gas, or electric) for heat, hot water, or gas for my stove/dryer. Never run out of hot water.

Edited by bashful

No, but I ran my A/C in the car today. 89F in Austin today.

This is interesting. I just set the car once and it just runs. Sometimes I get cool are sometimes heated and that all I think about it. I’m comfy without doing anything.

This is interesting. I just set the car once and it just runs. Sometimes I get cool are sometimes heated and that all I think about it. I’m comfy without doing anything.

When I was driving I turned on neither the a/c nor the heat only the defroster when necessary. But then I didn't drive very far nor very often.

No, but that one day where the temperature in Phoenix dipped below 90 degrees I did wear my down parka.

But seriously, I have not used my heat at all in Phoenix. There was one day last winter when I almost turned it on, but then I noticed a window was wide open. After closing the window I no longer needed heat. It gets in the low 40's in the city in winter, but thanks to south-facing windows my place stays warm.

I know I'm not the target audience, but I'll turn the question around. I have heaters rather than central heating, and I have had a few evenings already when I haven't needed to turn them on, but not consistently so just yet. The conventional wisdom in this town is not to plant out your tomatoes until Melbourne Cup day (the first Tuesday in November) because of the risk of a frost killing them.

I know I'm not the target audience, but I'll turn the question around. I have heaters rather than central heating, and I have had a few evenings already when I haven't needed to turn them on, but not consistently so just yet. The conventional wisdom in this town is not to plant out your tomatoes until Melbourne Cup day (the first Tuesday in November) because of the risk of a frost killing them.

In the northern hemisphere, it's Memorial day when the danger of frost has passed.

Here in the desert the highs through last week were still in triple digits. It was only 74 when I got up at 6am, so I wore a jacket to walk the dog, but the a/c was running, because the house holds warmth for a long time. We only use the heat for a few months in the winter, when the lows are in the 40s and the daytime highs around 70.

My apartment maintains the heat. Thus in the Winter the outside may be in the 30sF but the interior will be in the 50sF. But by then the heater will have come on.

In the Summer time sometimes the a/c comes on at midnight or 1AM.

My apartment is long and narrow. The long side faces west and fronts on the parking lot blacktop. There's a large picture window in the living room. The drapes are closed. And I have a blanket over the drapes and then I have bookcases in front of that.

My bedroom is in the back. No west window. Sliding glass door faces north,

92 in Mississippi today. Hot as balls still

I was in Mississippi in late September once - it was absolutely sweltering. We were driving around site-seeing, I think we were going to Vicksburg that day. We were on a road that was an attraction because the trees grew together to form a tunnel. We stopped at a store/roadside stand and bought ice-cold cokes in bottles. An opinionated old guy owned the store, and he and my father got into a discussion about WWII. The discussion turned into a little disagreement and they ended up raising their voices with each other. The storeowner backed down. The whole thing seemed like something straight out of Faulkner.

I was in Mississippi. The whole thing seemed like something straight out of Faulkner.

The whole state is Faulknerian. You don't have to look far. We had our first Gay Pride event in Tupelo, Mississippi over the weekend where we live. It was very quiet for the event itself, but you should read the comments on social media. Faulkner would have so much hypocrisy for inspiration!

The whole state is Faulknerian. You don't have to look far. We had our first Gay Pride event in Tupelo, Mississippi over the weekend where we live. It was very quiet for the event itself, but you should read the comments on social media. Faulkner would have so much hypocrisy for inspiration!

Actually, I used to visit rural Mississippi regularly. My niece taught at the veterinary school at Mississippi State and my mother lived in Starkville. It was kind of a fun place to visit. I always stayed in this ancient hotel. I would get their best room, which cost next to nothing. They had a very good men's clothing store there. So I always went shopping there when I visited. The guy who took care of me was this studly, good-looking young blond. He would pull stuff off the racks that he thought I would like, I would try it on, and he would say, "I LIKE that on you," and he had made another sale. My mother didn't understand that the interaction was mostly a flirtation and thought I bought clothes like that all the time. I enjoyed the strangeness of it - heavy flirting with a studly blond southern boy.