Bed Sheets?

Avalon
This topic is 1228 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, really... To have to suffer Manhattan living in a classic eight.

Somehow, I'm sure she'll muster the willpower to move forward ;)

She lives in her primary residence on a sheep farm in a republican county in NJ. She only uses the apartment once or twice a week, or when it’s thanksgiving so she can see the floats being assembled.

I mean, really... To have to suffer Manhattan living in a classic eight.

Somehow, I'm sure she'll muster the willpower to move forward ;)

She lives in her primary residence on a sheep farm in a republican county in NJ. She only uses the apartment once or twice a week, or when it’s thanksgiving so she can see the floats being assembled.

Sounds like life has really dealt her a challenging hand. To endure life amongst Republicans and only have a 5 bedroom Manhattan apartment to escape to. But, at least there’s the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade...

This is fun.

:D

A related question: How often do you wash your sheets? I wash sheets once a week in the summer and every 2 weeks in the winter. But pillow cases I wash once a week summer and winter.

Once a week. I use a "free and clear" detergent and wash in hot water, with no fabric softener and no dryer sheets. I pull the sheets out of the dryer and put them back on the bed so I don't have to fold them. I know how to fold sheets, but I hate folding laundry. For me the biggest problem is my fluffy cotton mattress pad, which does not fit in my washer. I have two of them, and I swap in a clean one and take the one off my bed and bring it to a wash and fold service once a month. I provide a couple of my own detergent pods, but every now and then they'll use whatever detergent is lying around. I don't understand how people can bear to use regular laundry detergent; it all smells like bubble gum to me.

My favorite sheets were Land's End oxford cloth sheets back in the early '90s. Those sheets were wonderfully soft once they were broken in. Land's End is a shadow of the company that it once was, and they haven't made real oxford cloth sheets in at least fifteen years.

On the radio they were saying that Millennial men wash their sheets ever two weeks while Millennial women wash their sheets only once a month.

It's suggested that people should wash their sheets once a week.

I don't remember the source they gave for this info.

On the radio they were saying that Millennial men wash their sheets ever two weeks while Millennial women wash their sheets only once a month.

It's suggested that people should wash their sheets once a week.

I'm a male and part of the tail-end of the babyboomers.....and we apparently wash our sheets every two or three months......

I rarely wash my sheets, I simply use them and then buy new ones. Cheap linen at bed bath and beyond on sale. I like new sheets. I have gone the Egyptian cotton route with a set of $500 sheets. Thought it would be exquisite but they were just sheets. So just buy cheap ones often. I have loads and loads of sheets around the house. I cover some sofas with them when I am not home to try to keep the dogs from destroying the furniture. i have had mixed results with that. I use sheets to cover the wood and tile floors because my older dogs slip on the floors. Once they are soiled, I will wash those and then eventually toss them or use them for rags.

I rarely wash my sheets, I simply use them and then buy new ones. Cheap linen at bed bath and beyond on sale. I like new sheets. I have gone the Egyptian cotton route with a set of $500 sheets. Thought it would be exquisite but they were just sheets. So just buy cheap ones often. I have loads of load of sheets around the house. I cover some sofas with them when I am not home to try to keep the dogs from destroying the furniture. i have had mixed results with that. I use sheets to cover the wood and tile floors because my older dogs slip on the floors. Once they are soiled, I will wash those and then eventually toss them or use them for rags.

That's how I am with bath towels. I just buy new ones.

Guest europeanman
I rarely wash my sheets, I simply use them and then buy new ones. Cheap linen at bed bath and beyond on sale. I like new sheets. I have gone the Egyptian cotton route with a set of $500 sheets. Thought it would be exquisite but they were just sheets. So just buy cheap ones often. I have loads and loads of sheets around the house. I cover some sofas with them when I am not home to try to keep the dogs from destroying the furniture. i have had mixed results with that. I use sheets to cover the wood and tile floors because my older dogs slip on the floors. Once they are soiled, I will wash those and then eventually toss them or use them for rags.

I don t like new unwashed sheets. The first thing I do is have them washed. Same with towels.

• 2 years later...

I was pulling the sheets from my bed this morning and it occurred to me that, rather than change sheets once a week, I could turn them around one week and then fully change them the next week. I sleep on only one side of my queen side bed and never venture over to the other side (and it's been a looooong time since I've had someone else sleeping over there). So the other side of the bed goes virtually untouched. Why not rotate (not flip) the bottom sheet so the left side become the right and the right becomes the left. That way I'm laying on the untouched half of the sheet. I probably just shake the sheet out before putting it back on the bed. I could do the same for the top sheet.

Are there downsides to this approach?

I was pulling the sheets from my bed this morning and it occurred to me that, rather than change sheets once a week, I could turn them around one week and then fully change them the next week. I sleep on only one side of my queen side bed and never venture over to the other side (and it's been a looooong time since I've had someone else sleeping over there). So the other side of the bed goes virtually untouched. Why not rotate (not flip) the bottom sheet so the left side become the right and the right becomes the left. That way I'm laying on the untouched half of the sheet. I probably just shake the sheet out before putting it back on the bed. I could do the same for the top sheet.

I once saw a sleep study and it found people migrate all over their bed while sleeping. Do you wake up in exactly the same place you fell asleep?

To do a test you could place a coin in the middle of the other side of the bed on the lower sheet and see if it has moved by the morning. ?

After you've slept on Frette, everything else feels like wool. This is terrible, but I imagine the Taliban, saying to each other the first morning around the buffet table before the start of the negotiations with the US et al, in one of those Quatar 6-star hotels, "I don't know what Frette is, but I'm never sleeping without it again."

After you've slept on Frette, everything else feels like wool. This is terrible, but I imagine the Taliban, saying to each other the first morning around the buffet table before the start of the negotiations with the US et al, in one of those Quatar 6-star hotels, "I don't know what Frette is, but I'm never sleeping without it again."

If I were rich I'd sleep on Frette every night, but I'm not.

Sheets I will NOT sleep on include Flannel, Microfiber (feel horrible and make me sweat) and anything with a low thread count. I also don't like satin as i slip around.

I find Costo sheets perfectly acceptable, decent thread count and fairly inexpensive. They are also extra deep for those who have thick mattesses.

well, one downside I can think of is that that decorative trim (hem-like) thing on the flat/top sheet that would normally be at the top/head end of the bed would end up at the bottom, right?......that might give me a bit of a "world turned upside down"-feel while sleeping??!!......also, my Mother was stickler for making sure the "top" of the flat/top sheet was facing down so, when pulled back at the top/head, that decorative hem/trim would face up with the neater sewing finish exposed.....

I also only sleep on one side of my queen-size bed, but don't rotate the sheets because, well,......(see above!)

however, the fitted/bottom sheet could definitely be rotated, it seems....

Sheets I will NOT sleep on include Flannel, Microfiber (feel horrible and make me sweat) and anything with a low thread count. I also don't like satin as i slip around.

I have found that flannel sheets from Boll & Branch are excellent; I have two sets. They are cozy and warm without being suffocating.

However, I can only sleep in the nude with them. Any movement during the night and whatever I'm wearing gets bunched up in places that are uncomfortable.

When I finally bought a new mattress 18 months ago, I decided it was easier to change the sides I slept on rather than flipping the king-size mattress solo. I then realized I could go two weeks between laundering them.

When I finally bought a new mattress 18 months ago, I decided it was easier to change the sides I slept on rather than flipping the king-size mattress solo. I then realized I could go two weeks between laundering them.

before there were fitted sheets my widowed mother could go a month.

week 1 replace sheets and sleep on one side

Week 2 change sides

Week 3 switch top and bottom

week 4 change sides.

I’ve never owned Frette but have slept on them in hotels. They’re very nice, but I still prefer the Sferra Giza 45.