Why every gay man should visit Palm Springs at least once in his life

Avalon
This topic is 2136 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, that is exactly the analogy that I think of when I open my front door to go out. My dog is eager to go out until I open the door, and then he cringes. Yesterday it was too hot for his feet, so I had to carry him to a grassy spot in the shade to do his business, then carry him home again.

Dog booties are helpful. Store them in your freezer.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/clothing-and-shoes/shoes-and-socks/

Well, not exactly. In the last 80 years, the temperature in Palm Springs has reached 120F a total of 16 times. Today might boost that to 17 times.

The average summer high is a dozen degrees cooler — which is hotter than hell!

:cool::cool::cool:

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/History.aspx?location=USCA0828

It looks like you are misreading the chart you linked. When I clicked it, I saw two tables. In the top, the month of July is selected. The bottom table shows data for the month selected. That data does not tell you the total number of days Palm Springs reached 120 or more. It shows you the record high for each date in question, and if you count the record highs in July you get your 16 days of 120 degrees. That does not mean, however, that those days where the record high was at least 120 degrees didn't also reach 120 degrees or more during a different year on the same month and day and, of course, that data is only showing July. If you click June, you will see six days where the record high was at least 120. August has 9 such days. I would give you the count for September but the website seems to have a glitch preventing that data from loading, though it's clear from the top chart that there were some days in September where the temperature reached at least 120 degrees. So now were up to at least 31 days of the year where the temperature in Palm Springs has reached at least 120 degrees and, to repeat, that doesn't mean that those same days of the year haven't been that hot during multiple years.

While it's true that the average high is not close to 120 degrees, if you look at a different site such as weatherunderground where you can see the recorded high for each day going back at least a year, you will see that it's pretty common in Palm Springs to have stretches in the summer where the high temperature is 120 degrees, plus or minus a few degrees. It isn't like it's a rare occurrence that it gets that hot there. Yes, maybe I was unlucky during my one summer trip there but I know what I experienced first hand: Every day I was there had a high temperature close to 120 degrees, and some days exceeded that temperature. Before that trip, I think the hottest temperature I had ever experienced was between 105 and 110 degrees so I didn't think that the heat in Palm Springs would bother me so much, but that extra 10 to 15 degrees made a huge difference. I basically hated being outside, and even the nighttime lows weren't low enough to provide any respite. It was just freaking HOT 24/7.

It's 3:30 am as I post this and I see the current temperature in Palm Springs is 92 degrees. When the nighttime lows are still over 90 degrees you know it's hot.

It looks like you are misreading the chart you linked. When I clicked it, I saw two tables. In the top, the month of July is selected. The bottom table shows data for the month selected. That data does not tell you the total number of days Palm Springs reached 120 or more. It shows you the record high for each date in question, and if you count the record highs in July you get your 16 days of 120 degrees. That does not mean, however, that those days where the record high was at least 120 degrees didn't also reach 120 degrees or more during a different year on the same month and day and, of course, that data is only showing July. If you click June, you will see six days where the record high was at least 120. August has 9 such days. I would give you the count for September but the website seems to have a glitch preventing that data from loading, though it's clear from the top chart that there were some days in September where the temperature reached at least 120 degrees. So now were up to at least 31 days of the year where the temperature in Palm Springs has reached at least 120 degrees and, to repeat, that doesn't mean that those same days of the year haven't been that hot during multiple years.

While it's true that the average high is not close to 120 degrees, if you look at a different site such as weatherunderground where you can see the recorded high for each day going back at least a year, you will see that it's pretty common in Palm Springs to have stretches in the summer where the high temperature is 120 degrees, plus or minus a few degrees. It isn't like it's a rare occurrence that it gets that hot there. Yes, maybe I was unlucky during my one summer trip there but I know what I experienced first hand: Every day I was there had a high temperature close to 120 degrees, and some days exceeded that temperature. Before that trip, I think the hottest temperature I had ever experienced was between 105 and 110 degrees so I didn't think that the heat in Palm Springs would bother me so much, but that extra 10 to 15 degrees made a huge difference. I basically hated being outside, and even the nighttime lows weren't low enough to provide any respite. It was just freaking HOT 24/7.

It's 3:30 am as I post this and I see the current temperature in Palm Springs is 92 degrees. When the nighttime lows are still over 90 degrees you know it's hot.

Could be.

I enjoy PS but never been there in the summer. I'm surprised it's marketed as a year round destination. Apparently in summer the golfers will tee off at the butt crack of dawn and get in at least 9 holes.

Many golf courses have giant fans aimed in the vicinity of the greens, in order to cool the grass and keep it from browning. They reseed annually, shifting between winter grasses and summer grasses.

The only time I have experienced 120 degrees was crossing Death Valley.

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say something like this but here goes again!!!!!

I don't think anybody, in their right mind, would dispute the fact that Palm Springs in the summer is unbearably hot -- it is. It is also a fact that a huge numbers of people who have homes or condos in Palm Springs don't spend summers there. Palms Spring and some cities in Florida are WINTER get aways for people who live in snow country. It is a truism that I would NEVER visit or live in Palm Springs in the summer AND it is equally true that I would NEVER visit or live in Palm Beach in the summer.

These types of places are winter havens they are NOT summer resorts. If one is looking for a summer escape there a dozens of beautiful mountain and seaside places to visit or sojourn.

Edited by Epigonos

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to say something like this but here goes again!!!!!

I don't think anybody, in their right mind, would dispute the fact that Palm Springs in the summer is unbearably hot -- it is. It is also a fact that a huge numbers of people who have homes or condos in Palm Springs don't spend summers there. Palms Spring and some cities in Florida are WINTER get aways for people who live in snow country. It is a truism that I would NEVER visit or live in Palm Springs in the summer AND it is equally true that I would NEVER visit or live in Palm Beach in the summer.

These types of places are winter havens they are NOT summer resorts. I one is looking for a summer escape there a dozens of beautiful mountain and seaside places to visit or sojourn.

l guess nobody told Larry Hagman. Before he was cast in "Dallas," he rented out his Malibu beach home and spent summers (with his family) in various places includimg

Could be.

Typical Kenny response!

I did not finish my Larry Hagman post above. They spent many summers at his mother's home in Rancho Mirage. His mom (Mary Martin) often spent summer in London.

I’m not certain, but I think Mary Martin’s home was in Palm Springs, although she expired in Rancho Mirage at the Eisenhower Medical Center.

http://pscelebrityhomes.com/celebrity-index-m-o/mary-martin/