Downton Abbey - Coming Soon to a Theatre Near You

Moondance
This topic is 1691 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

7-13-18 … A "Downton Abbey" movie is set for production.

"Welcome back to Downton! We're thrilled to announce that #DowntonAbbey is coming to the big screen," the show's official Twitter account said. "Film production begins this summer."

5472.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=6dad9abca5bb7fe64409b760d07ec227

According to The Guardian, the show's creator, Julian Fellowes, will pen the script with The Book Thief 's Brian Percival directing and Universal Studios set to distribute.

The movie's plot has not been revealed, but the show's cast has reportedly signed on for the film.

• 1 year later...

So I guess the movie is set to open sometime in September. The quality looks to be good and from the short clip I have seen it appears that Thomas finally gets some chance to actually interact with another "homosexual" perhaps. I have been complaining since the series began that although Downton introduced a gay character (and had been given an opportunity to do so) the writers conformed to the stereotypical type of bitchy, conniving gay man. They could have made him a gay man who could not be out in the "manor" but who perhaps had dalliances that made him somewhat human. I thought it was an opportunity that was missed as there were gay men who did find each other in the very late 1800s and early 1900s (and definitely even before that). But they failed to take that opportunity. I hope they make use of it in the movie.

Edited by TruthBTold

• 2 weeks later...
The way the upper class dim-wits treat the lower class dim-wits is repulsive. How could anyone enjoy watching it?

You have to be a fan of the series. Actually the Financial Times and NYTimes agreed with you

a bit more elegantly with terms like “consensual feudalism.” I just got back from a 10 am showing and the sets and costumes are grand as expected. Moreover on the big screen it was nice to see how well the cast acted. But the plot or plots are more than a little far fetched and the concluding elegy to the future of Downton reminded me of Hans Sachs ode to German culture at the end of Die Meistersinger. Hollow! But it was well worth the $5.41 ticket price before noon.

The take away from this weekend’s box-office results: Do not cross a dame.

Reviving a bejeweled cast that includes Maggie Smith’s haughty Dowager Countess, the film “Downton Abbey” opened to around $31 million in domestic ticket sales this weekend, beating out the Brad Pitt vehicle “Ad Astra” and “Rambo: Last Blood” for top place. The figures vastly exceeded predictions for “Downton” — its distributor, Focus Features, had expected the opening to bring in closer to $20 million.

But it was well worth the $5.41 ticket price

I paid $28 for my front row center, balcony recliner, reserved seat. I didn't enjoy spending that much, but the only time I had available was a Saturday night. I'm a big fan of the series, so I wasn't looking to fault the film. Julian Fellowes tries to cram too many stories into 2 hours, but in the end it all comes together and it's fun. My sold out audience applauded when the credits rolled.

I bought my ticket for last Friday on-line thru Fandango. Yesterday I received from Airbnb an offer to stay at Highclere Castle (i.e. Downton Abbey). Unfortunately I’m busy this week.

Wait a minute! Airbnb made me that offer! Am I going to be rubbing elbows with the general public?

I loved the movie-- pure escapism and enjoyment. The train scenes alone were worth the price of admission. The story lines were great and set the stage for more movies to follow. It's a refinement that never grows old!

Kipp

And considering that the movie brought in millions more than projected for the first weekend, I'm sure there will be sequels.

Mr. Branson was truly the quiet hero in most of this movie: saving the King, preventing a potential royal divorce scandal, and having a new love interest that may bring both branches (and fortunes) of the Crawley Grantham house finally together.... can’t wait for the next movie (i hope!). The gay story line with Mr. Barrow was also great and seeing how gays had to live in secret and socialize surreptiously... makes me grateful for what we have today and all the modern conveniences of “connecting”.

Mr. Branson was truly the quiet hero in most of this movie

Allen Leech looked good. He seems to have lost weight for the movie. He was getting chunky. His various plots were fun to follow. His scene at the bench with the Princess Mary was brilliant.

The gay story line with Mr. Barrow was also great

I agree. It did not go the way I had imagined. In the end, Mr. Barrow almost felt instant love and separation anxiety. Robert James-Collier did a masterful job conveying intense feelings. Too bad there were no nude scenes. :-)

I thought the overarching story of the King and Queen's visit worked well (it really brought back the pre-WWI class divides which I thought was the strength of the story). And the minor servants revolt was good for some dramatic energy. Good performances all around. Great scenes. And almost every character had some sort of storyline without it feeling too crowded or random.

I agree. I enjoyed it very much, more than I had expected. Laura Carmichael was finally fulfilled - self-confident, in charge, well dressed, no more whining or complaining. She walked differently; she carried herself differently. "Andy," Laura's real life bf, was also very good; he has grown much as a character since he first appeared in the background. Michelle Dockery amazes me. As Lady Mary, she is articulate, immaculately and impeccably and superbly dressed, looks straight at the camera, is sure of herself. In tv interviews, she stutters, is nearly inarticulate, and dresses like an old hippy. Even on the red carpet, I have never seen her in a really good dress. Her final beaded silver and black Art Deco gown in the film was stunning, and she wore it beautifully. The costumer found it in a flea market; it was only knee length. They hired someone to complete the dress to floor length. Beautiful. Michelle's bobbed-hair wig was perfect; in real life, her hair looks mangy and just hangs there. She doesn't know what to do with it.

Saw it FOR FREE at the CinepolistWest 23rd St movie complex theater here in NYC.

Bought a ticket for the 1PM show.

Went into the theater where I, and about a dozen other patrons, sat and waited for the show to begin....NOT!

Theater manager came in at 1:15 and said the would start immediately....NOT.

Another theater employee came in at 1:30 and said they couldn't get the projector to work (do they still have those?), so we were all entitled to a full refund and free admission to the 1:45 showing.

Despite the aggravation, I enjoyed the movie very much and watching the Crawley's and the downstairs staff is like catching up with old friends.

Will definitely watch it again...and agin.

I saw it Sunday. Loved it. Yes, the plot was too busy. The truth is that the huge fan base for Downton includes sub groups for virtually every character and they all had to be honored.

My favorite line was the Queen’s: We’re used to people being awkward when we’re around. Both true and kind. Sweet.

I have had a major crush on Allen Leech ever since his adolescent Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa in HBO’s Rome, which was brilliant. He’s grown into a beautiful man.