Miracle! Thai boys are being rescued!

marylander1940
This topic is 1938 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have said a tribute to human resilience, detailed planning, determination and international cooperation rather than a miracle, but that would be to quibble over this wonderful news.

Seriously... did you have to post a comment like that? Do you guys get metaphors down under?

I would have said a tribute to human resilience, detailed planning, determination and international cooperation rather than a miracle, but that would be to quibble over this wonderful news.

And I know that every country that has contributed to the effort will be talking about that in its domestic media. That said, there are Australian Federal Police and Australian Defence Force divers at the scene, along with experienced cave divers. A doctor from Adelaide (an anaesthetist) who is also a cave diver assessed the soccer team today.

And I know that every country that has contributed to the effort will be talking about that in its domestic media. That said, there are Australian Federal Police and Australian Defence Force divers at the scene, along with experienced cave divers. A doctor from Adelaide (an anaesthetist) who is also a cave diver assessed the soccer team today.

I look forward to watch the movie about this miracle :)...

Seriously... did you have to post a comment like that? Do you guys get metaphors down under?

I am sorry, but I am also very tired of the "miracle" metaphor that is used all the time in America. This is hard work, expertise and science, all by humans, no miracle involved.

Sometimes it isn't even used as a metaphor, I am so fed up of parents who have their child being saved from cancer by doctors working on it for 12 months, backed by 50 years of scientific research, and then the parents calling it a miracle and thanking whatever their favorite god is. How about thanking the doctors, who actually did something?

I am sorry, but I am also very tired of the "miracle" metaphor that is used all the time in America. This is hard work, expertise and science, all by humans, no miracle involved.

Sometimes it isn't even used as a metaphor, I am so fed up of parents who have their child being saved from cancer by doctors working on it for 12 months, backed by 50 years of scientific research, and then the parents calling it a miracle and thanking whatever their favorite god is. How about thanking the doctors, who actually did something?

I'm not saying it isn't hard work.

@Awwshuck I'm starting to believe what you say about Godless liberals!

(it was sarcasm)

Rescue operations have been suspended for the day. I was so hoping they would all be out of there today. With the incoming rain the remaining rescues are going to be ever more perilous. If I were any of those parents, I would be a basket-case.

I may be in the minority, but I'm a little perplexed as to why it's taken so long... How long can it take to send over a bunch of tanks, masks, fins, underwater flashlights, and wetsuits, all the while teaching the kids how to use them? One wouldn't even have to go through a whole a whole scuba course, since the depths involved wouldn't subject them to the risks of decompression sickness, nitrogen narcosis, etc.

A pet peeve of mine is the over use of the word "hero". But that would be for another thread.

I may be in the minority, but I'm a little perplexed as to why it's taken so long... How long can it take to send over a bunch of tanks, masks, fins, underwater flashlights, and wetsuits, all the while teaching the kids how to use them? One wouldn't even have to go through a whole a whole scuba course, since the depths involved wouldn't subject them to the risks of decompression sickness, nitrogen narcosis, etc.

There's much we don't know. There may be a diving solution with all the factors you list, but that may not be the best way to solve the problem.

People that believe in miracles, shouldn't use electricity, cause that's science

Edited by P Gren

I think among this issues was their weakened state, the size of some of these kids (they are very small), the fact that none of them knew how to swim or had much experience in the water, the water is not exactly clear and clean, some of the passages were apparently quite narrow, etc. So I think it's taken some time to work with them in a pretty cramped space getting used to the equipment and what they will need to do. They've also been continuously pumping out as much water as they can. I understand that they've made really good progress on that front over the last several days before it started raining again. If they could lower the water level far enough the kids wouldn't need to spend as much time under water. They've also been jackhammering some of the smaller passages in order to get more clearance.

It seems like all of that was wise since getting them out appears to have taken less time than predicted. The latest I saw was that they intend to get the other 9 out tomorrow after giving the rescue divers some rest and replenishing some supplies along the route. (It's a few miles from where they are to the outside)

The fact that a Thai Navy Seal with years of diving experience died during this rescue may speak to the perils involved.

@Awwshuck Will the president ask Putin to fly the Thai boys for the World Cup final next Sunday? Can Jared handle this for him?

They will be able to witness first-hand Belgium winning the Cup... ;)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJLERgd21P5tpiQ7p7omhsGNXnf9Y4iFFfiHB73A70T5cdgRnG

I don't understand why this happened in the first place. Why did they go caving without proper equipment or guides? I'm hoping they all are rescued unharmed; but don't waste the teaching moment here that caving is a serious activity.

The first part of the cave is essentially a local tourist attraction that wouldn't require any equipment or a guide. They did have flashlights and did take in some water as well as food to celebrate the birthday of one of the boys. Whether they decided to explore beyond the public part or if the downpours and flooding suddenly cut them off and they had no choice but to scramble deeper into the cave is unclear.