23andMe DNA/health test

MassageDrew
This topic is 1541 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Has anyone used the 23andMe or similar DNA/ancestry/health testing kits before? And are you glad to find out all that info or do you have any regrets?

I’m curious and have been for a while so I bought it. Just about to mail my specimen as I write this actually. I want to know more about me really but one of the cautions is that you cannot unsee whatever it is you’re going to see in the results. My friend took it too and he seems happy he did. He thought he was French but he’s more German than French. Just curious about your thoughts.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trump offers $1 million to Elizabeth Warren's charity of choice to prove Native American heritage with DNA test

Trump dangled a $1 million donation to Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s charity of choice if she takes a DNA test and it proves her purported Native American heritage.

He also managed to throw in a cringeworthy #MeToo joke in the process.

Trump mused that he would buy a DNA test and throw it at her should he face off with the Massachusetts lawmaker during a 2020 presidential debate — and she brings up the claim.

“We have to do it gently. Because we’re in the #MeToo generation, so I have to be very gentle,” Trump said, mocking the wave of ousting male harassers in the entertainment industry. “We will slowly toss (the kit) hoping it doesn’t injure her arm.”

Trump’s revitalized attack of Warren was met with mixed applause, groans and cheers during an energetic campaign-style rally in Great Falls, Mont., Thursday.

“I will say, ‘We will give $1 million to your favorite charity — paid for by Trump — if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian,’ ” Trump said, imagining himself in a debate with the rumored Democratic presidential contender.

“Let’s see what she does. I have feeling she will say no, but I will hold that for the debates,” he said.

Warren and her claim of Cherokee and Delaware Indian heritage during a 2012 Senate run has been a repeat target of Trump’s volatile attacks at rallies and on social media. She cited family stories, rather than DNA testing or documentation to prove her ancestry.

Trump has often ridiculed Warren with the nickname “Pocahontas” since May 2016. He said he would apologize to the 17th century Native American woman for giving Warren the nickname, but not Warren herself.

Warren fired back after Thursday’s rally.

“While you obsess over my genes, your Admin is conducting DNA tests on little kids because you ripped them from their mamas & you are too incompetent to reunite them in time to meet a court order,” Warren tweeted. “Maybe you should focus on fixing the lives you’re destroying.”

Trump offers $1 million to Elizabeth Warren's charity of choice to prove Native American heritage with DNA test

Trump dangled a $1 million donation to Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s charity of choice if she takes a DNA test and it proves her purported Native American heritage.

He also managed to throw in a cringeworthy #MeToo joke in the process.

Trump mused that he would buy a DNA test and throw it at her should he face off with the Massachusetts lawmaker during a 2020 presidential debate — and she brings up the claim.

“We have to do it gently. Because we’re in the #MeToo generation, so I have to be very gentle,” Trump said, mocking the wave of ousting male harassers in the entertainment industry. “We will slowly toss (the kit) hoping it doesn’t injure her arm.”

Trump’s revitalized attack of Warren was met with mixed applause, groans and cheers during an energetic campaign-style rally in Great Falls, Mont., Thursday.

“I will say, ‘We will give $1 million to your favorite charity — paid for by Trump — if you take the test and it shows you’re an Indian,’ ” Trump said, imagining himself in a debate with the rumored Democratic presidential contender.

“Let’s see what she does. I have feeling she will say no, but I will hold that for the debates,” he said.

Warren and her claim of Cherokee and Delaware Indian heritage during a 2012 Senate run has been a repeat target of Trump’s volatile attacks at rallies and on social media. She cited family stories, rather than DNA testing or documentation to prove her ancestry.

Trump has often ridiculed Warren with the nickname “Pocahontas” since May 2016. He said he would apologize to the 17th century Native American woman for giving Warren the nickname, but not Warren herself.

Warren fired back after Thursday’s rally.

“While you obsess over my genes, your Admin is conducting DNA tests on little kids because you ripped them from their mamas & you are too incompetent to reunite them in time to meet a court order,” Warren tweeted. “Maybe you should focus on fixing the lives you’re destroying.”

Yea and if Sen Warren turns out to actually be Native American she can expect to see Trump’s million right after he pays off the contractors and lawyers he’s stiffed for decades.

I was hoping she would have taken that initiative on her own long ago, just to shut that motherfucker up for two seconds.

I don't think there are enough samples to reliably test for it, plus it has no bearing on tribal recognition.

For reasons having nothing to do with Trump, I wish she would acknowledge that she's not whatever tribe she claimed because she doesn't meet tribal standards, which she respects, and that it is a family story that she can't verify which she shared without thinking about the implications.

I bought 23andMe and sent in my spit two weeks ago. My parents and grandparents are all from Kentucky and Florida, and beyond that I know nothing of my ancestry or heritage... so I'm pretty excited to find out where I'm from.

I'm quite white so I'm pretty sure it'll be Europe. :p

You may be surprised. DNA was traced back to eastern Africa. I've been asked if I'm Russian, or Polish.

I was 98% Europe and 2% Asia South. My guess is Romani (Gypsy) on my mother's side.

I had my aunt's done (father's sister). She was 99% Europe and 1% West Asia. That 1% consisted of two trace groups - Caucasus and Middle East. My guess is that may go back to the Crusades.

I had mine done. Like Elizabeth Warren's family, there is a story in my family about a native ancestor. Same scenario- no documentation, just stories.

The 23andme assay revealed my ancestry to be 100% European.

I did the math once and the story didn't make sense to me. My mothers family are supposed to have emigrated to Canada during the French Revolution. My great-grandfather was born in Canada in 1822. So that would leave a time window of 30 years or so in which the native ancestor could have been brought into the family. Not impossible, but less likely when you are not dealing with a long span of history.

For reasons having nothing to do with Trump, I wish she would acknowledge that she's not whatever tribe she claimed because she doesn't meet tribal standards, which she respects, and that it is a family story that she can't verify which she shared without thinking about the implications.

She’s done that, most recently in February (that I know of):

“You won’t find my family members on any rolls, and I’m not enrolled in a tribe. And I want to make something clear: I respect that distinction,” she said to applause from a Native American audience. “I understand that tribal membership is determined by tribes — and only by tribes.”

She went on to recount her family story, in convincing detail.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-trump.html

She’s done that, most recently in February (that I know of):

“You won’t find my family members on any rolls, and I’m not enrolled in a tribe. And I want to make something clear: I respect that distinction,” she said to applause from a Native American audience. “I understand that tribal membership is determined by tribes — and only by tribes.”

She went on to recount her family story, in convincing detail.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/14/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-trump.html

She should issue a press release or something and point it out every time Trump calls her Pochahontas.

I’m definitely curious. I’m supposed to be Filipino but there’s supposedly an English or Irish blood from my dad’s side of the family. Also some Chinese on my mom’s side so I’m curious if any of that is true.

I had the Ancestry.com DNA test done. Having worked on my pedigree for many years, it was amazingly accurate and provided the names of living relatives including my niece who the test described as "either family or first cousin." It also identified the granddaughter of my grandfather's girlfriend (yes, grandpa was a runaround) - this granddaughter had always wondered why her grandmother was not buried alongside her "husband" as she thought they were married. Whenever you did genealogical research, and especially when doing DNA research, you may come across some family secrets.

I was hoping she would have taken that initiative on her own long ago, just to shut that motherfucker up for two seconds.

More on the irrelevancy of DNA testing to Native recognition:

https://twitter.com/NativeApprops/status/1015797673553793024?s=09

Start of thread: It’s not that they’re not “widely accepted.” There is *NO* federally recognized Tribal Nation in the US that will accept an ancestral DNA test as proof for citizenship.

A few tribes have used familial DNA tests (paternity/maternity DNA tests) to confirm parents/family for enrollment. But that is a whole different test and whole different ballgame. Not a single tribal nation is going to take your 23andme or ancestry dot com kit seriously.

And the fact that folks still think these tests mean anything in terms of tribal affiliation, citizenship, or enrollment at this point is so frustrating. The stupid ads don’t help.

An ancestry DNA test can’t “prove” anything. The results vary widely from company to company depending on databases and technology. The sample for “Native” DNA is tiny compared to other parts of the world and doesn’t take into account HUGE amounts of diversity w/in the population

Sorry, that DNA test doesn't make you Indigenous

But notice all the dates on these links and articles are from *years* ago. Native people have been explaining over and over why this conversation is a non-starter (and frankly offensive) and clearly no one cares to listen to the actual communities this affects.

Disconnection from actual Native heritage is a real result of settler colonialism. Fake family stories of Native heritage are also a real result of settler colonialism. Neither is fixed by a DNA test.

Also DNA testing can't match you with a tribe, as well as the possibility that it's wrong or won't be replicated by another company.

More on the irrelevancy of DNA testing to Native recognition:

https://twitter.com/NativeApprops/status/1015797673553793024?s=09

Start of thread: It’s not that they’re not “widely accepted.” There is *NO* federally recognized Tribal Nation in the US that will accept an ancestral DNA test as proof for citizenship.

A few tribes have used familial DNA tests (paternity/maternity DNA tests) to confirm parents/family for enrollment. But that is a whole different test and whole different ballgame. Not a single tribal nation is going to take your 23andme or ancestry dot com kit seriously.

And the fact that folks still think these tests mean anything in terms of tribal affiliation, citizenship, or enrollment at this point is so frustrating. The stupid ads don’t help.

An ancestry DNA test can’t “prove” anything. The results vary widely from company to company depending on databases and technology. The sample for “Native” DNA is tiny compared to other parts of the world and doesn’t take into account HUGE amounts of diversity w/in the population

Sorry, that DNA test doesn't make you Indigenous

But notice all the dates on these links and articles are from *years* ago. Native people have been explaining over and over why this conversation is a non-starter (and frankly offensive) and clearly no one cares to listen to the actual communities this affects.

Disconnection from actual Native heritage is a real result of settler colonialism. Fake family stories of Native heritage are also a real result of settler colonialism. Neither is fixed by a DNA test.

Also DNA testing can't match you with a tribe, as well as the possibility that it's wrong or won't be replicated by another company.

I was talking with a native guy about this, and he said that false negatives are also a problem. I don't remember how he explained it exactly but it also had to do with the small sample of Native genotypes.

I wouldn’t be surprised as the men on my dad’s side if the family are like your grandpa. I think I’m mentally prepared for whatever results I find but we’ll see. I got a confirmation from 23andMe that my sample finally arrived. Now 6-8 more wait LOL

I think they don't have a wide enough Asian sample to go down the nuances of Asian. Europe is a different matter.

And that’s my main worry

My colleague/friend from India did it and all he got was South Asian. He was like, I already know that! I think European it does list by region-which you may find out if you have European ancestry.

When I had mine done by Ancestry it said 82% Great Britain. My aunt's said 55%.

What does that mean? Celtic, Anglo-Saxon etc.? GB is diverse!

I had trace Iberian Peninsula. My aunt was 2%. Did someone fall off an Armada ship and swim ashore?

When I had mine done by Ancestry it said 82% Great Britain. My aunt's said 55%.

What does that mean? Celtic, Anglo-Saxon etc.? GB is diverse!

I had trace Iberian Peninsula. My aunt was 2%. Did someone fall off an Armada ship and swim ashore?

I agree. I got mine done and was hoping it would be more specific than "Great Britain." It's all very vague. Some of the health information that 23AndMe provides is interesting, but not particularly useful. I don't need a dna test to tell me that I'm able to roll my tongue :)