10 Countries That Completely Hate Gay People

Avalon
This topic is 2150 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

... And?

To travel the world means accepting other cultural differences, even if that means they don't immediately understand you.

You can rally against what's not exactly like you or you can be an intrepid traveler. Rarely can you have both.

Hate is a strong word. I wouldn't say some of these places mentioned all hate gays.

... And?

To travel the world means accepting other cultural differences, even if that means they don't immediately understand you.

You can rally against what's not exactly like you or you can be an intrepid traveler. Rarely can you have both.

Hate is a strong word. I wouldn't say some of these places mentioned all hate gays.

You think hate is a strong word when gay people in some of these countries can be arrested or worse be killed just for being gay?

Have you ever been to any of the places mentioned?

I don't have to be there to know that homosexuality is illegal or can be punished by death penalty in a lot of these Middle East and North African countries. I also don't think spending a few days in these countries as a tourist would make anyone an expert in what gay people are going through in those places.

Except for Turkey and Russia, I’ve no interest in visiting any of these countries. I think some of the reporting is overblown, however. I know gay citizens of Singapore who are discreet, but fine. If Iran finally ends up with a semi-democratic government, I’d love to visit.

I don't have to be there to know that homosexuality is illegal or can be punished by death penalty in a lot of these Middle East and North African countries. I also don't think spending a few days in these countries as a tourist would make anyone an expert in what gay people are going through in those places.

That's fine. It's your prerogative. Just not mine :)

Except for Turkey and Russia, I’ve no interest in visiting any of these countries. I think some of the reporting is overblown, however. I know gay citizens of Singapore who are discreet, but fine. If Iran finally ends up with a semi-democratic government, I’d love to visit.

Singapore is beautiful with great food and, in my experiences, very friendly people. I've also visited Kuwait (Kuwait City) and it was fascinating.

The world was meant to be seen. For me, at least.

Singapore is beautiful with great food and, in my experiences, very friendly people.

The original post was about the extent to which countries accepted homosexuality. Rightly it cited countries where it is legal but oppressed. What it didn't do it calibrate its condemnation of countries where it is illegal but not oppressed. The law is clear in Singapore, but the enforcement is light. I wouldn't want to live there, but would happily visit and hire there. I would be much more worried about visiting the UAE than Singapore.

... And?

There are hate crimes occurring in America on a daily or almost-daily basis. It is my belief we should address our own issues before castigating others. But then again I understand Avalon has to post something.

I would draw the line where they arrest you or put you to death for simply being gay. Remember it is barely a decade since states like TX had laws against sodomy, till the Supreme court legalized gays ex .

But arresting someone or hacking up someone just for being gay or suspected of being gay is a scary scary world.

I’ve been to Turkey and Russia with my bf and slept in the same hotel bed, and no one mentioned anything. Nor did I feel discriminated. The only other place i would love to visit is Iran...although I have hooked up with Iranians, and they are hot!

The world is meant to be travelled. However, it’s important to remember that traveling the world is a privilege, not a right. Those who have the ability to do so also have the right to know where the danger lies. It never hurts to be an informed traveler, to know when and where to take extra precautions that could make the difference between a wonderful memory, and a nightmare.

I’ve travelled to places like Egypt, India, Singapore, Kenya, Hong Kong, China, Indonesia, Mexico, a good chunk of Europe and the Caribbean (including Jamaica), and Brazil, among others. Some of those places I’d probably not return to in today’s political and anti-gay climate. Just to be on the safe side.

I’m glad I had the opportunity to see what I did, to visit the countries and cultures I did. But the world is a much different place now than it was then.

Edited by BroadwayDave

There are hate crimes occurring in America on a daily or almost-daily basis. It is my belief we should address our own issues before castigating others. But then again I understand Avalon has to post something.

Yes, but Avalon is wrong about this. To miss Russia because of fear is a freaking shame, especially St. Petersburg.

Yes, but Avalon is wrong about this. To miss Russia because of fear is a freaking shame, especially St. Petersburg.

Agreed. I had the most fantastic time in Russia last year. Had a great private tour of the Hermitage. Was an unbelievable trip. The food was amazing (contrary to popular belief).

At the end of the day, it's easier to sit behind a keyboard and wax poetic about the dangers of the world without actually having seen them.

I agree with Dave on this: Travel is a privilege... And one that shouldn't be wasted. Keep your eyes open, your head up, but don't let fear keep you from immersing yourself into someplace totally different than what you're used to.

At 6'3" and 205lbs, I stand out nearly everywhere I go. I can't help it. Yet, no matter where I've traveled, I've never felt afraid.

Quick question: Exactly how would any of these countries know you are gay? Looking in the mirror after jumping out of the shower I didn't see the word "GAY" displayed anywhere on my body. Neither my passport, Global Entry card, nor drivers' license read "HOMOSEXUAL." My glasses don't flash "GAY GAY GAY" and when ordering at the coffee shop I said "a regular drip coffee, please" and not "I take rock hard cock up my ass."