Skinny and slim fit jeans

Pensant
This topic is 2152 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’ve always had muscular legs from a lifetime of running and biking. Over the past few years, I’ve started doing a form of cross-fit which includes dead lifts, heavy lunges and squats. About 3 years ago I started buying slim fit jeans. Before, I wore pricey denim, but usually boot cut and selvage. Well, recently I’ve started wearing skinny jeans, from Frame and J Brand, though only about 4 pairs so far. Do you think guys in their 50’s should wear these jeans, or does it seem inappropriate? I do love the fit and don’t think I could go back to roomier jeans.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always had muscular legs from a lifetime of running and biking. Over the past few years, I’ve started doing a form of cross-fit which includes dead lifts, heavy lunges and squats. About 3 years ago I started buying slim fit jeans. Before, I wore pricey denim, but usually boot cut and selvage. Well, recently I’ve started wearing skinny jeans, from Frame and J Brand, though only about 4 pairs so far. Do you think guys in their 50’s should wear these jeans, or does it seem inappropriate? I do love the fit and don’t think I could go back to roomier jeans.

Well, since you asked... I say go with what makes you feel good. If it fits and you feel good/look good, go for it. Others don't like or approve? Screw 'em! Just don't let those jeans crush your nuts! ;)

I am afraid I don't have the 'genes' for skinny jeans... :D I would look like this (just add a bulge for my iphone!):

b797506d9a7d4495aa308e6234c612d3-2.jpg

I may have changed my mind about close fitting clothes. I like 90s style loose fitting jeans. And I've always had the opinion that older men look a little silly in up to the minute fashion.

But a while ago, I got a made-to-measure suit from Indochino and I love it. The jacket has natural shoulders and sort of hugs my torso. The trousers are tailored to fit close in the butt and thighs. Fits me like a glove. The fabric is a nice soft merino wool. I love the way I feel in it.

Slim is in style so I think it's fine no matter your age. I also have switched to slim fit recently after a lifetime of boot cut. I still feel a little self-conscious when wearing them.

I feel like it's the boot cut jeans that aren't aging well with me. They don't seem to look good with any of my shoes and boots anymore.

Muscular legs and an actual nice ass never go out of style. If ya got it, flaunt it baby... Flaunt it.

The real issue with skinny jeans is having enough lycra or stretch content in the mix to make them comfortable: I recommend looking for a 1-3%. Those of us who do squats appreciate jeans that flex and move with us.

OTOH, if the jeans are too-tight, literally sprayed on looking, it can make a guy look a little silly. Like overstuffed sausage.

As with everything in life, there's a line in the sand :)

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

I went to see a PT the other day and he was wearing skinny-cut pants. And he is that skinny, but good grief, he stood in front of me to demonstrate an exercise and the seam along the but crack was separating his cheeks, like there was a nearly inch-deep crevice! That can't be comfortable.

I'm a conservative dresser. And dress for comfort.

I'd probably avoid skinny jeans. I don't like the feeling of clingy clothes. And, I admit, can be judgmental and would never dress in a style I perceive as many decades too young for me. I.e, in my 50s, I'd wear almost anything that someone over 25 would wear. Label it "adult-wear" if you will. I'd feel foolish and conspicuous in 18 yo skater clothes. And I'm never on the forward edge of fashion trends - you won't see, (or wouldn't have seen,) me trotting around town with my pants cuffed up to my calves.

CBS did a Father's Day story on "Dad Wear". And some fashionista reported that the fannypack is back. No way, no how, not me!

The range of jeans has become so variable, I'm now wearing athletic cut jeans. I find that straight cut, boot cut, or full cut look sloppy. And I care more as its become ok to wear jeans and a sportcoat for work. I've become particularly fond of Levi's 541s.

Edited by LaffingBear

I may have changed my mind about close fitting clothes. I like 90s style loose fitting jeans. And I've always had the opinion that older men look a little silly in up to the minute fashion.

But a while ago, I got a made-to-measure suit from Indochino and I love it. The jacket has natural shoulders and sort of hugs my torso. The trousers are tailored to fit close in the butt and thighs. Fits me like a glove. The fabric is a nice soft merino wool. I love the way I feel in it.

Same here. There’s a great Japanese company that uses fine Italian superfine wool called Ring Jacket. I had a dark blue slim fit suit made with working bottoms and 14” trouser opening. Delighted with the fit.

I went to see a PT the other day and he was wearing skinny-cut pants. And he is that skinny, but good grief, he stood in front of me to demonstrate an exercise and the seam along the but crack was separating his cheeks, like there was a nearly inch-deep crevice! That can't be comfortable.

To your point, I find that you must adjust the type of underwear with the slimmer and less roomy pants. I have heavier thighs and not tall, so just purchasing slimmer style pants is a big deal for me. I can't do skinny. But say wearing boxer shorts with slimmer tight fitting pants seems to cause more of the pants not riding properly whereas wearing a trunk type knit boxer brief with lycra makes the look and feel much more comfortable. This may be a personal preference but thought worth mentioning. I think if you have the body and shape to wear younger style clothes, go for it but don't take it to the extreme. Otherwise. Ya look riculous. Did he look in the mirror with that getup?

Muscular legs and an actual nice ass never go out of style. If ya got it, flaunt it baby... Flaunt it.

The real issue with skinny jeans is having enough lycra or stretch content in the mix to make them comfortable: I recommend looking for a 1-3%. Those of us who do squats appreciate jeans that flex and move with us.

OTOH, if the jeans are too-tight, literally sprayed on looking, it can make a guy look a little silly. Like overstuffed sausage.

As with everything in life, there's a line in the sand :)

Thanks, BN! The slim/skinny jeans are just roomy enough. I’m usually a 31/32.

I’m also a big fan of Alden and Frye boots. Alden has been offering the commando Vibram lug soles, which are truly comfortable and great for long walks in European cities. The other footwear that fits me well is Common Projects. The pebbled navy ones in particular are a favorite. They go with everything.

To your point, I find that you must adjust the type of underwear with the slimmer and less roomy pants. I have heavier thighs and not tall, so just purchasing slimmer style pants is a big deal for me. I can't do skinny. But say wearing boxer shorts with slimmer tight fitting pants seems to cause more of the pants not riding properly whereas wearing a trunk type knit boxer brief with lycra makes the look and feel much more comfortable. This may be a personal preference but thought worth mentioning. I think if you have the body and shape to wear younger style clothes, go for it but don't take it to the extreme. Otherwise. Ya look riculous. Did he look in the mirror with that getup?

You need to wear boxer briefs or briefs. Check out Max Weldon. Best styles and quality ever. I’ve found them far superior to other brands. They’re always updating their styles. And this from a long-time preppy boxer shorts wearer.

You need to wear boxer briefs or briefs. Check out Max Weldon. Best styles and quality ever. I’ve found them far superior to other brands. They’re always updating their styles. And this from a long-time preppy boxer shorts wearer.

You know now that that u mention that name, I will have to. Heard all the rave about them. You seem like a fashionista to me and I'm sure you always look great in and out of all of your attire. Thanks for the tip.

The only way to really tell for sure is with a picture.

You know now that that u mention that name, I will have to. Heard all the rave about them. You seem like a fashionista to me and I'm sure you always look great in and out of all of your attire. Thanks for the tip.

I’ve been urged to write a fashion blog, lol. Not only clothing, but cookware, art, furniture, grooming-the whole thing.

Ask your best girlfriend, the one who likes you well enough to tell you the truth: "Do these jeans flatter me? Or do they make me look like I'm trying too hard to look young?"

Ask your best girlfriend, the one who likes you well enough to tell you the truth: "Do these jeans flatter me? Or do they make me look like I'm trying too hard to look young?"

Haha! I’ve had a few girls not only compliment me but pinch my ass. When I wore my J Brand leather jeans on New Year’s Eve I got quite a few looks and compliments from the boys, too.