Can A Person Be Too Good Looking?

Avalon
This topic is 2156 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We make up a lot of stories about nice-looking men that may or may not be true. If a guy of average appearance is lazy, he's just lazy. If a nice-looking guy is lazy it's because he's used to getting by on his looks and has never learned the value of hard work. If a guy of average appearance is manipulative, he's just manipulative. If a nice-looking guy is manipulative he uses his looks to hoodwink people and on and on.

Edited by Rudynate

So at my work a solicitor came by and normally I don't give time of day to solicitor, just take information and probably forget it. But this week someone came by and he was so good looking with piercing blue eyes.

We made appointment to come back next day. I googled him and turns out he does some modeling. Good looks has its advantages clearly.

And what he was presenting (work only) ended up being something my company could use.

So at my work a solicitor came by and normally I don't give time of day to solicitor, just take information and probably forget it. But this week someone came by and he was so good looking with piercing blue eyes.

We made appointment to come back next day. I googled him and turns out he does some modeling. Good looks has its advantages clearly.

And what he was presenting (work only) ended up being something my company could use.

He didn't get an appointment just on his looks. He was selling something your company could use. He was probably engaging, respectful, smart.

I owned a walk in medical center back 25 years ago before they appeared on every corner. In looking for part time physicians to man to office, I always tried to find good looking young men. Prior to opening my office, my sister had mentioned to me that she went into a medical facility a bit further away from her home than the nearest one, because the doctor was very good looking. My teenage niece chimed in that she also liked going there because of that. Now they did say that he was friendly and competent but admitted the older doctor at the nearby facility was also competent and friendly. So they made the extra trip just because the doctor was good looking.

With my business it became clear that there were clients coming in to see a specific doctor and that they would wait to come in just to be seen by that particular doctor. There were definitely recommendations made based on the good looks of the doctor.

I admit to using a particular gym with a particularly good looking clientele or desk personnel. I will drive a bit to go to a gas station with hot looking attendants (NJ is one of the few states that still requires gas station attendants) and I get lunch from a restaurant that has hot deliverymen.

People go out of their way to interact with people they find attractive. It is like taking the scenic route through life.

He didn't get an appointment just on his looks. He was selling something your company could use. He was probably engaging, respectful, smart.

Oh yes absolutely. He did a good presentation and courteous. Didn't mean to imply he got an appointment just for looks. Rather, I was not so quick to brush him off as maybe I normally would.

People go out of their way to interact with people they find attractive. It is like taking the scenic route through life.

That's a good analogy. Sometimes it's worth going a little out of the way to enjoy the view. You may never live that life but it's worth the brief memory.

Back to the original question: I think a peeson can be too good looking for their own good. Others have said this and I agree good looking people can use their looks/body to get what they want and a lot of that depends on how you are raised. I have some really good looking friends (both men and woman) that I have had since I was little and they were akways very respectful and worked hard for what they have not to say that they NEVER used their looks to their advantage.

And I don't know where I saw this but there was a really good looking guy (maybe on a reality show) and the story was he never considered himself good looking or even remotely attractive because he was raised to not be concerned with his looks or to not be vain...something along those lines...maybe someone will know what I'm refering to?? Anyway it goes back to how you are raised partly and other factors

The television show "30 Rock" once did a whole episode about this phenomenon called the "bubble" where incredibly looking people are cut more slack and are treated nicer generally. The humor in the episode (and the reason it's called a bubble) is that the good looking guy isn't aware he's being treated differently because of his looks. He just thinks the world is super friendly in general. It's a funny episode and since being introduced to the concept I've met one or two guys who live in a bubble like that. One guy in particular was super flaky and he would always end up hurting people. But he'd always get out of trouble by looking like a sad puppy. He was totally confused when he tried that with me and it didn't work.

The downside of being superhot and the advent of social media is that some people treat you like public property and make unsollicited proposals of various kinds. Is what I've seen anyway. I'm not hot enough to get that kind of attention but a friend of mine is and he has to deal with some serious personal boundary breaking a lot of the times we go out. I've stopped being his wingman because it seems I'm almost invisible when I'm out with him. :D

It's weird to me how much value we place on just looks. Seeing comments like "You're amazing, I wanna be your friend!" on a hot guy's instagram has made me pause. Because the only thing that that wanna-be friend knew about the hot guy is... That he was hot. And I can also imagine that guy's personal message inbox blows up which can be annoying.

Then I had an aquiantance who was one of the biggest asshole I'd ever met and very attractive. Two of my friends I told them that he was an asshole (and what he had done) and both friends literally said: "Yeah, but he's so hot. How can you stay mad at that face?"

I very well can, thank you. :)

Of course, if a hot guy walks by I'm one of the first to perk up and enjoy the view. Why not? But at the same time I remember that these guys are fully fledged human beings too and deserve respect and not invade their personal space uninvited just because our blood drained from our brains to our dick. :D

Unless they wiggle their eyebrows and unzip their pants. :eek::rolleyes:

There's a fair amount of data to back up the notion that better-looking people are, in fact, treated better by other people, paid more for the same work, etc., both men and women. And that has a flip-side in that there is also unwanted attention.

I think it's more likely possible for a woman to be "too" good-looking to be taken seriously than it is for a man. Largely because men are more visually stimulated and the woman will get more unwelcome attention than the man will on average.

And there's also the fact that good-looking older men are still widely considered good-looking, while a good-looking older woman will, um, have a significant drop-off in the size of her fan club, because women are held to more unrealistic aesthetic standards than men.

Good looks also fade. In the other thread , I posted about running into my crush from younger days. Now he was fat, bald and thrice divorced-it was a shocker. The below pics sum it up-not the same person, but the magnitude of the change. I lusted after his young self and he helped me many a night -or helped my hand! Then when I ran into him, I was shocked, I did not recognize him and did not know what to say when I realized who he was. He is straight and so maybe looks not that important, but still it left me shocked and I never could think of him in that sexy way again. In fact now when I meet really good looking guys, sometimes I ponder how they will age!

images.jpg

images1.jpg

There's a fair amount of data to back up the notion that better-looking people are, in fact, treated better by other people, paid more for the same work, etc., both men and women. And that has a flip-side in that there is also unwanted attention.

God, that’s a problem I’d love to have. Too much attention because I’m so handsome...

We make up a lot of stories about nice-looking men that may or may not be true. If a guy of average appearance is lazy, he's just lazy. If a nice-looking guy is lazy it's because he's used to getting by on his looks and has never learned the value of hard work. If a guy of average appearance is manipulative, he's just manipulative. If a nice-looking guy is manipulative he uses his looks to hoodwink people and on and on.

That additional layer of "blame" is a burden. And any form of wealth is a burden, including being good-looking.

Good looks also fade. In the other thread , I posted about running into my crush from younger days. Now he was fat, bald and thrice divorced-it was a shocker. The below pics sum it up-not the same person, but the magnitude of the change. I lusted after his young self and he helped me many a night -or helped my hand! Then when I ran into him, I was shocked, I did not recognize him and did not know what to say when I realized who he was. He is straight and so maybe looks not that important, but still it left me shocked and I never could think of him in that sexy way again. In fact now when I meet really good looking guys, sometimes I ponder how they will age!

Was he a wrestler and/or Italian? Wrestlers I think tend to fuck up their metabolism then when they enter the real sedentary world of office work simply can't adjust when they aren't working out 5 hours a day. Italians tend to look like they are 25 when they are 15 and continue to age faster - even if they hold it together fitness-wise, they seem to go gray earlier/face changes.

Was he a wrestler and/or Italian? Wrestlers I think tend to fuck up their metabolism then when they enter the real sedentary world of office work simply can't adjust when they aren't working out 5 hours a day. Italians tend to look like they are 25 when they are 15 and continue to age faster - even if they hold it together fitness-wise, they seem to go gray earlier/face changes.

Football. I don't know heritage, but just stunned, just two years older than me .