Steak Tartare

Avalon
This topic is 2191 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree... A lot.

We're a nation of immigrants and what we do well is blend those cooking traditions into something new and forward-thinking.

To say our only culinary contribution is McD's is woefully uneducated about the very real, very respected flavors that American chefs are currently introducing. This country is a lot more than just apple pie and hot dogs.

You've just got to get out there and experience it for yourself :)

True enough. But as I travel Europe and Southeast Asia, the most prevalent US export (other than movies and pop music) seems to be fast food. You can get the local version of almost every US fast food chain in Kuala Lumpur. In fact in one of the larger shopping centers there’s even a Kenny Rogers Roaster place more than a decade after they tanked in the US.

Edited by g56whiz

I’ve been an avocational singer since my boy soprano days. As a GI in France in Germany in the ‘60’s I joined local choral groups. As a result I sometimes got invitations to dinner in the homes of my fellow singers. I lived in the barracks and couldn’t return the invitations so I would invite myself back to cook for them an American meal. I’m a New Englander so the meal often included Boston baked beans and frankfurters (fried in butter of course) and brown bread if available in the PX. But the hit was always my mother’s apple pie. If I got a second invite it was a New England boiled dinner. My limited attempt at being a cultural ambassador.

There is an Ethiopian version called kitfo, I believe. Yummy. Not many Ethiopian restaurants in NJ sadly. There used to be one in Jersey city but it closed years ago. ☹️

There's one in Montclair, if that's any consolation. I've never been.

There's an Ethiopian chicken recipe I'd love to try but it requires extensive monitoring as it's cooking, which isn't exactly my forte.

One of my favorites. Unfortunately, you can't trust US ground beef so I only eat it in Europe.

Ironically, in Belgium, it's called "Filet Americain" or "Steak Americain"....

http://static.750g.com/images/600-600/9ca74411408b2c7ea96e658f8dd71ae7/le-filet-americain.jpeg

Filet-americain.jpg

Maybe this one? It's the national dish of Ethiopia.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/doro-wat-spicy-ethiopian-chicken-stew/

Yep, that's it.

Back when I was a student in the Cambridge/Boston area we used to have 5 Ethiopian places within easy driving distance. I used to drag my then bf to all of them after he introduced me to the cuisine (something he regretted the rest of our time together). I used to get this dish a lot. Very tasty from what I remember. My bf used to ask me "what's that?" I'd say: dono what!! Get it!?! ;)

Our American cuisine seems so blah in comparison with the rest of the world.

The rest of the world did have a 4800 year head start on us if you count the beginning of recorded history as the starting point (though I think we homo-sapiens have been cooking longer than that). But seriously Cajun cooking is pretty original to America and quite delish.

The rest of the world did have a 4800 year head start on us if you count the beginning of recorded history as the starting point (though I think we homo-sapiens have been cooking longer than that). But seriously Cajun cooking is pretty original to America and quite delish.

I've had Cajun food; I liked it. Took my father one time to a Cajun restaurant for his birthday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cajun_cuisine

Back when I was a student in the Cambridge/Boston area we used to have 5 Ethiopian places within easy driving distance. I used to drag my then bf to all of them after he introduced me to the cuisine (something he regretted the rest of our time together). I used to get this dish a lot. Very tasty from what I remember. My bf used to ask me "what's that?" I'd say: dono what!! Get it!?! ;)

Years ago I lived in an apartment building and one of the apartments on my floor was occupied by a group of Eritrean students, among them a couple. The couple got married, and as was their custom, entertained for three days - they had an open house and people dropped in - they served food and guests toasted the newlyweds, etc. The first day, the food smelled wonderful - spicy, full of garlic - just great. The second day, I was getting a little tired of it. And the third day, I began to hope that I would never smell Eritrean/Ethiopean food ever again.

Years ago I lived in an apartment building and one of the apartments on my floor was occupied by a group of Eritrean students, among them a couple. The couple got married, and as was their custom, entertained for three days - they had an open house and people dropped in - they served food and guests toasted the newlyweds, etc. The first day, the food smelled wonderful - spicy, full of garlic - just great. The second day, I was getting a little tired of it. And the third day, I began to hope that I would never smell Eritrean/Ethiopean food ever again.

I never got tired of it. Incidentally Eritrea was once an Italian colony and if you go to any halfway decent Ethiopian/ Eritrean restaurant there will be some Italian dishes on the menu.

I never got tired of it. Incidentally Eritrea was once an Italian colony and if you go to any halfway decent Ethiopian/ Eritrean restaurant there will be some Italian dishes on the menu.

Eritrea was once part of Ethiopia and I believe all of Ethiopia was an Italian colony. Addis Ababa is known for its Fascist-era architecture.

From the wiki page you linked:

It is more common to find people eating the Italian Eritrean cuisine in the capital, Asmara. Asmara has been regarded as "New Rome" or "Italy's African City"

Asmara was the name of my favorite restaurant. Was located in central sq, Cambridge. It was still there the last time I was in the neighborhood a few years ago. Now I know where the name comes from!

You think? Several years ago, I took an intensive German course of several weeks in Germany. One of our activities was a potluck dinner where we brought a dish that was characteristic of the country we were from. I was the only American in the class and I wracked my brain to come up with something that conveyed "mom and apple pie" that wasn't ordinary. I finally decided on scalloped potatoes with ham." Everybody liked it.

Didn't you realize you had answered your own question? You could have brought an apple pie!