Luggage: Duffle Bag or Suitcase for short trips?

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 2192 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For my one or two night trips I've been using a standard luggage carry-on. But it's at least 20 years old and shows it. One of the new 4 wheel carry ons is appealing but the idea of a duggle bag that will fit in an overhead bin and can be carried over the shoulder is appealing too.

Any thoughts or pros/cons about the suitcase versus duffle? Any recommendations on a decent but not too expensive duffle?

Thanks.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a short trip I carry as little as possible. If it's just a couple of days I'll likely just use a backpack. If the overhead bins are full it will easily fit under the seat in front of me. When the plane lands, I'm up and out. Since I typically walk at a faster clip than most 'murricans waddle I'm usually in the rental car and hitting the road by the time my fellow travelers get to baggage claim.

For a longer trip, I'll typically ship a box via UPS to either my destination hotel or to a relative I'll be visiting, and ship it back the night before my flight.

"Personal Items" are always free. That's important today. They can be pretty big so long as they fit under the seat in front of you. The new "thing" in luggage is wheeled cases this "personal item" size.

Basic Economy tickets and tickets on low-cost airlines make their profit off huge baggage fees, sometimes more than the ticket. Carry-Ons are usually charged as much or more than checked baggage on the low-fare tickets. Often $100 RT. If you can get a free carry-on and a free personal item you're lucky.

4-wheel spinners are nice because you can lean on them plus put other stuff on them. 2-wheel roll-aboards have sturdier wheels but aren't as easy.

Wheels.

Unless it's a very small duffel, you'll appreciate not bearing the weight of the luggage on shoulders during long waits in lines, long airport walks, etc. Even little things, like setting the duffel down on wet pavement, whereas wheels keep the bag dry. The ability to attach and carry the personal item on the wheeler is also nice.

I have an old 2-wheel set in all sizes. Still in excellent condition, sturdy double wheels. I always thought the 4-wheel rollers were silly, seemed less stable. But I realized this past trip, the 4-wheelers take all the weight, even when rolling; I'm taking some of the weight of the 2-wheeler when in motion. Not too much for me, but, given the airline's reduction in carryon luggage size allowances, and not owning something the maximum carry-on size, my next purchase might be a 4-wheeler.

As a road warrior myself (40-45 weeks a year), I wouldn’t consider anything without wheels. All my short-trip luggage will fit in a CRJ9. Nothing fits in the CRJ7, but if it fits in the 9, it’ll go anywhere. Also, a duffle can never keep things organized since it’s just a big pocket. I use Tumi or Travel Pro exclusively. It’s a little more expensive, but makes a difference in the ease of travel. I also wouldn’t consider anything without a double stem extension handle in order to use it like a wheel barrow for accessory bags to ride on top.

I have a Coach over the shoulder bag that I use a lot but still looks good. You can stuff a lot in it because of the shape. I bought it because even if I had a bag that I was stowing in the overhead area it would fit under the seat in front of me. I thought if someone complained I would simply say it was my "purse" and that it would be discriminatory to deny me from using the bag in this way.

No wheels. Small carryon that fits in any compartment. Easier to get through the airport. Most wheeled bags remind me of unruly Cocker Spaniels. B

There are some 4-wheel spinner carryons that have a cupholder. I could see that. :)

Duffles and backpacks can make getting through crowds hard. Like carrying bags. Many also have wheels though.

A lot depends on whether you will be wheeling on rough sidewalks etc....wheels do break a lot. If only in an airport you're fine with a spinner.

Costco has some nice Kirkland brand stuff made by Briggs & Riley or Tumi.

I have a wheeled carry on backpack set where the backpack has a sleeve that allows it to be dropped over the carry on handles with the bottom of the backpack resting on top of the carry on. I travel exclusively with this combo even on long trips. Thus I almost never check luggage.

As a road warrior myself (40-45 weeks a year), I wouldn’t consider anything without wheels. All my short-trip luggage will fit in a CRJ9. Nothing fits in the CRJ7, but if it fits in the 9, it’ll go anywhere. Also, a duffle can never keep things organized since it’s just a big pocket. I use Tumi or Travel Pro exclusively. It’s a little more expensive, but makes a difference in the ease of travel. I also wouldn’t consider anything without a double stem extension handle in order to use it like a wheel barrow for accessory bags to ride on top.

+1

I'm old, it's got to be on wheels. Tumi only, unless "Grandma loans me her LV" ;)

Edited by bigvalboy

I have a tiny roller that's great for a weekend. It will fit in the overhead of any small commercial aircraft and Underseat (Think any CRJ Planes). Ask @gallahadesquire about his as well :p

I paid half of the listing price at Costco with a sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Ful-Hybrid-Wheeled-17-Inch-Duffel/dp/B01NGTHXXX

Any thoughts or pros/cons about the suitcase versus duffle?

For a short trip I carry as little as possible.

The new "thing" in luggage is wheeled cases this "personal item" size.

I have a Coach over the shoulder bag that I use a lot but still looks good. You can stuff a lot in it because of the shape.

I also wouldn’t consider anything without a double stem extension handle in order to use it like a wheel barrow for accessory bags to ride on top.

You can hide a body more easily in a duffle bag. Or so I've heard. :cool:;):rolleyes:

I have a tiny roller that's great for a weekend. It will fit in the overhead of any small commercial aircraft and Underseat (Think any CRJ Planes). Ask @gallahadesquire about his as well :p

I paid half of the listing price at Costco with a sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Ful-Hybrid-Wheeled-17-Inch-Duffel/dp/B01NGTHXXX

Take a look here if you ever feel like upgrading: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-carry-on-luggage/

I have a Nomatic (nomatic.com) travel bag - a family of 4 comfortably fits (LOL).

It is a back pack or can be carried like a regular bag. It is divided into many compartments for organization unlike other back packs. Fits as carryon.

I went to Hawaii a few months ago and it fit 10 days of clothing, etc. without issue.

Of benefit for all travelers - thank you Lance - are packing "cubes" of various sizes to completely organize your packing. See at Amazon. Unbelievable for separating and organizing clothing, toiletries, anything you pack.

For car journeys I use a large duffel, since it keeps my packing to the bare minimum and looks good. If I'm flying I use a four wheel spinner carry-on. I don't like the two-wheeled cases that cabin crew often drag behind them, but I find the spinner much easier to handle when I'm striding through an airport.

I have a Nomatic (nomatic.com) travel bag - a family of 4 comfortably fits (LOL).

It is a back pack or can be carried like a regular bag. It is divided into many compartments for organization unlike other back packs. Fits as carryon.

I went to Hawaii a few months ago and it fit 10 days of clothing, etc. without issue.

Of benefit for all travelers - thank you Lance - are packing "cubes" of various sizes to completely organize your packing. See at Amazon. Unbelievable for separating and organizing clothing, toiletries, anything you pack.

Which model do you like?

It depends on your plans...

http://2sei0v2s93y31n9ndy1lrzmh.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/shutterstock_152582279.jpg

Cops are searching for a pair of clowns who robbed a South Ozone Park pharmacy at gunpoint early this morning.

According to police, at 5:35 a.m. on May 22, two unknown men clad in clown masks entered the Walgreens located at 119-02 Rockaway Blvd. Once inside, the suspects drew a firearm and made all of the employees go to the back of the store.

The suspects then demanded that the employees hand over prescription medications. The NY Post reported that they took two duffle bags filled with morphine, Percocet, Adderall, Oxycodone and other drugs.

The suspects then fled the location in a black BMW, which was operated by an unknown getaway driver.

Officers from the 106th Precinct responded to the scene; there were no injuries.

No arrests have been made, and the investigation is ongoing.