Luggage: Duffle Bag or Suitcase for short trips?

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 2202 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While on this topic.... has anyone had a carryon refused as slightly too big?

I was on Alaska Air 3 weeks ago. My carry on meets their requirements.... which are changing next month. At present, Alaska permits carryons about 1" bigger for each dimension.

Taking United next week. My bag is, technically, 1" too big.

Ive never seen anyone forced by the airline to put their bag into one of those sizers.... Ive heard announcements that full flights mean you can check carryon at the gate without charge. Websites say if too big, fees apply, even at the gate.

It's been years since I've seen any attempt to enforce the sizing. 1" too big I would not be worried about as people routinely bring on much bigger stuff and they only make and issue of it with people who board so late there likely isn't any space left anyway.

though I know many here own the maximum-size allowable carry-on luggage and do, in fact, carry on that maximum allowable luggage (nothing personal and only a little judging!), I can't bring myself to get one of those.....

I use a small (and very malleable!) duffel and a small daypack when traveling, nothing more.....I usually fly on Southwest and, even with an A-group boarding pass, make a beeline to the back, where I always have ample overhead storage for the duffel, which I arrange up there to take as little room as possible....I stuff the backpack under the seat and, sometimes, there's nobody next to me (I'm in the back of the plane, you know).....

I usually stand for several minutes before departure since I'll be sitting for a long while......while standing, I get to watch the circus of people up-aisle (ok, only some of them) hauling onboard their life's possessions and trying to stuff them in the overhead...to the immense irritation of those stuck behind......then I get to watch the inevitable gate-check (free!) of the bags of those poor souls who missed out on overhead space......love watching this ritual each time I fly!

I miss those long-ago days when the overhead was simply a wide-open shelf with only pillows and blankets......

Edited by azdr0710

Which model do you like?

I LOVE the "Travel Bag." The Travel Pack is just a bit smaller but the Travel Bag is perfect for up to 10 days of "stuff". If I am going on a "long" flight I will stick a sandwich in one of the end compartments. Using the packing cubes it is easy for TSA to go thru the bag without totally screwing up your organization and for pack/unpack. The zipper inside with the lock is great for cash and passport, outside side compartments for smaller things that would tend to disappear somewhere. Once you have used the bag a time or two you develop your own packing method but it comes with recommendations for what to put where.

Totally useful product!

For those interested, I saw a very affordable carryon roller bag at Costco today. $35, which is way less than anywhere else, even discounters like Ross, Marshalls etc.

Skyway. Exact max size allowed by major carriers. Hardshell exterior. Lots of pockets and zippers inside. Expandable. Sturdy double wheels at each corner. Long, sturdy 2-pole handle

Not what I'd call highest quality... flimsy hardshell. I wouldn't subject it to the abuse of checked luggage, but as a small carryon always in a passenger's presence, more than adequate.

It's been years since I've seen any attempt to enforce the sizing. 1" too big I would not be worried about as people routinely bring on much bigger stuff and they only make and issue of it with people who board so late there likely isn't any space left anyway.

They do randomly make people use the bag sizer at all airlines that have them (most do). Doesn't fit ? Counter check at up to $100.

For both personal items and carryons, the issue is usually the size at the wheels. Many personal-item bags are advertised as 8" thick (the new rule) but at the bottom where the wheels are they are actually closer to 9". That stops it from going in the sizer no matter how hard you try to push or bend it. Carry-Ons have similar problems. Even if the bag you're buying says a certain depth, check it with a tape measure at the bottom where the wheels are. $100 surprises at the airport are no fun. European airlines lowered their carry-on limits to 8" depth a couple years ago and US lines are just catching up to that. Going from 9" to 8" has made a lot of money for the airlines in oversize fees, and fees are what the airline business is all about.