Do You Make Your Bed Every Day?

Avalon
This topic is 2148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My bed rarely gets made. First, I have about 10 pillows on my bed, so just getting them on and off the bed is time consuming. I have three dogs and just getting them off the bed is time consuming. I usually have a three or four old comforters with a mattress cover over the them and then the fitted sheet, getting them on the bed is time consuming, but worth the price in comfort. I then have a flat sheet and even in the summer, another comforter and sometimes a bed spread, getting them on and off the bed is also time consuming. I much prefer to hit the snooze alarm three times and take a nice long warm shower in the morning,

The one time I do make the bed is if I am having a guest into my bed. Often I will ask them to help me make the bed and then urge them to assist me in messing it up again.

If I have a new guest, I use a new set of sheets and a new comforter set. I usually use an inexpensive set from Bed Bath and Beyond for this. However it is brand new, so fresh and clean and no excess dog smell and no sex smell until we have put it there.

I do have a more expensive set of sheets I will use if I want to treat myself, and a guest or not, to some extra luxury.

Some people prefer to launder new sheets before use, I am not one of those people. I do not think anyone is surprised to learn this.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, it just doesn't bother some people. My sisters say my Dad prefers the mess, I'm more inclined to believe he'd prefer order over chaos if it didn't take any effort, but doesn't prefer it ENOUGH that it's worth the work.

Very true. When our cleaning lady has been here, we walk in and the place looks like a suite in a luxury hotel. It's wonderful. But we manage to mess it up again by the time she comes again.

yeah, it just doesn't bother some people. My sisters say my Dad prefers the mess, I'm more inclined to believe he'd prefer order over chaos if it didn't take any effort, but doesn't prefer it ENOUGH that it's worth the work.

Very true. When our cleaning lady has been here, we walk in and the place looks like a suite in a luxury hotel. It's wonderful. But we manage to mess it up again by the time she comes again.

DEAR ABBY: Please help settle a debate my wife and I are having. When making the bed, I always place the top sheet between the fitted sheet and comforter with the finished side facing up. It seems logical. She insists the finished side should face down so that when you fold the top back near the pillows you see the finished side of the sheet. I get her point, but I just don't think that's right. Which way should it go? -- SLEEPLESS IN RHODE ISLAND

DEAR SLEEPLESS: If the sheet has attractive trim, why on Earth wouldn't you want to display it? I'm voting with your wife. If you are "Sleepless" because you are arguing over which way the top sheet should face, thank your lucky stars it's not a pitched battle over something more serious. My solution would be: Whoever makes the bed gets to decide which way the sheet faces.

DEAR ABBY: Please help settle a debate my wife and I are having. When making the bed, I always place the top sheet between the fitted sheet and comforter with the finished side facing up. It seems logical. She insists the finished side should face down so that when you fold the top back near the pillows you see the finished side of the sheet. I get her point, but I just don't think that's right. Which way should it go? -- SLEEPLESS IN RHODE ISLAND

DEAR SLEEPLESS: If the sheet has attractive trim, why on Earth wouldn't you want to display it? I'm voting with your wife. If you are "Sleepless" because you are arguing over which way the top sheet should face, thank your lucky stars it's not a pitched battle over something more serious. My solution would be: Whoever makes the bed gets to decide which way the sheet faces.

If company is coming, and they're likely to see the top sheet, I'd agree with your wife.

On the other hand, if I'm using a bedspread and not turning down the sheet--that is, tucking the pillows in--then I really don't give a rat's ass. In the future, I don't buy sheets with a "finished" side. That's becoming less common, anyway.

• 1 month later...
My mother required it of us growing up from the age I can first remember. The practice still stays with me to this day along with ironing my sheets and pillow cases, which is another level of OCD I inherited.

My mother required it too. And I've always hated doing it. As a child I loved visiting my aunt's (my Mom's Oder sister) because she made up my cousins' beds.

In my current living situation, I have to make the bed daily, and I'm constantly thinking while doing it how much I dislike doing making beds. Aside from just my general dislike, this bed is difficult. It's a trundle bed situated into a corner. :mad:

Gman

My mother required it too. And I've always hated doing it. As a child I loved visiting my aunt's (my Mom's Oder sister) because she made up my cousins' beds.

In my current living situation, I have to make the bed daily, and I'm constantly thinking while doing it how much I dislike doing making beds. Aside from just my general dislike, this bed is difficult. It's a trundle bed situated into a corner. :mad:

Gman

It shouldn't take you long doing the bed?

I don't like ironing, but I do it.

Gman

It shouldn't take you long doing the bed?

I don't like ironing, but I do it.

You can hate something that only takes a few minutes almost as much as you can hate something that takes a long time-or at least I can. Plus because of the bed frame and the constricted location, I'm usually hitting my shins on the frame at the very least if not actually gouging them on the sharp protrusions sticking out of the frame.

This bed is of the devil!!:mad:

Gman

You can hate something that only takes a few minutes almost as much as you can hate something that takes a long time-or at least I can. Plus because of the bed frame and the constricted location, I'm usually hitting my shins on the frame at the very least if not actually gouging them on the sharp protrusions sticking out of the frame.

Gman

;):);)

Gman

good point!

Gman

Replace it!!

I can't.:(

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

Growing up I was an only child and because my mother worked a latchkey kid. I was taught to make my bed with red cross or hospital corners and expected to do so daily. When I got into the army I ended up teaching my fellow GI’s the technique.

After the Army in resumed my education at an Eastern elite all male college. I was making my bed as always in my new dorm room when a contingent of my new neighbors arrived to greet me. They were very friendly and given the slight age difference I became a minor father confessor. They would divulge all sorts of sins but never were drugs mentioned. Only later did I learn that my hospital corners and short hair led them to assume that I was an undercover narc. Interestingly only one, a very talented artist, was a user. Sadly he fried his brain the next semester.

One fortunate outcome from my mother’s professional career was her dispensing with some of the niceties of her Ewardian upbringing like linen napkins and ironed sheets. Thankfully.