WARNING: Your morning coffee can kill you

bigjoey
This topic is 1775 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I see is an article about lawyers getting richer.

Glad I don't live in California.

Glad I don't like Starbucks Coffee.

Our legal system is broken.

I would rather die than not have coffee....my body...my choices.

I don't need "warning labels" to tell me that life has risks.

ea7be69714f83e5ad3022e4ec71c18ef.jpg

this one below HAS to be a joke!

warning_jumping_into_toxic_waste_does_not_give_you_super_powers1.jpg?resize=400%2C323

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-D4G64UYbN1Q/Tg58vQdn1vI/AAAAAAAAAdo/pFE9jxVqnGc/s1600/pyzambabycare.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.forbes.com%2Fmedia%2F2011%2F02%2F23%2F0223_warning-labels-hairdryer_485x340.jpg

stupid_warning_labels_01.jpg

gator.jpg

Stupid_Warning_Labels_3.jpg

In another day or week or soon another study will say that coffee is good for you,I have read that coffee is helpful for people with allergies,there were other benefits from coffee I read about but I can't remember right now,even if it does kill some people I think it also keeps other people alive I don't like Starbucks,but I will never give up coffee,I love about 2 to 3 cups of strong black coffee every day,in the winter really hot coffee also makes me feel better if I have a cold or flu

Another one of those CA laws that are put in place contrary to laws across most of the US. Ridiculous! One day coffee is a life saver and prevents cancer and the next day it's killing us. I am a coffee luver and I'm drinking it. I also luv my booze. So, one offsets the other. ;)

So a judge can magically decide whatever he wants? The legal syatem is a joke-so now anybody who got cancer can sue anybody they bought coffee from? Attorney generals of states will start class action lawsuits against coffee chains and retailers asking for billions-which will go to public pensions .

So a judge can magically decide whatever he wants? The legal syatem is a joke-so now anybody who got cancer can sue anybody they bought coffee from? Attorney generals of states will start class action lawsuits against coffee chains and retailers asking for billions-which will go to public pensions .

It always seems to me a board of scientists ought to have more input into decisions like this.

I would rather die than not have coffee....my body...my choices.

I think there are some warnings/prohibitions government should make. For example, take medications. There are reasons not to allow people to take or companies to market anything they want.

I am a coffee luver and I'm drinking it. ;)

I like caffeine. But I’m not much of a coffee drinker. If I go to Starbucks, it’s usually for something sweet like a caramel -or whatever they call it. If coffee were outlawed tomorrow, it would make almost no difference in my life. Of course I’d be up in arms, if they tried the same thing with tea. But even then unless it’s really cold, hot drinks are not my favorite. I usually end up burning my tongue. I will have an after dinner hot tea with my dessert if I am having dinner at my Mom’s retirement community dining room. But I usually have to add ice or water to cool the cup down before I can drink it.

Gman

California’s Prop 65 is really a lawyer get rich scheme. Lawyers can sue on behalf of the state and keep a huge part of the proceeds. Any restaurant, coffee shop or vending machine without the warning can be sued. I would guess, an office coffee pot needs the warning, too,

Another one of those CA laws that are put in place contrary to laws across most of the US. Ridiculous! One day coffee is a life saver and prevents cancer and the next day it's killing us. I am a coffee luver and I'm drinking it. I also luv my booze. So, one offsets the other. ;)

A California lawmaker tried to make it punishable by jail or $10,000 fine for a dining establishment to give out straws unless a customer request it . He admitted there was really no intent to pursue jail for these "lawbreakers" but just wanted it in the books. The lawmaker as a result had boxes of straws sent to his office.

From the link in the first post:

“One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a byproduct of roasting coffee beans that is present in high levels in brewed coffee.”

And a doctor on CNN today mentioned that acrylamide is one of those substances that was deemed dangerous and cancer-causing, by feeding it to laboratory animals in quantities of thousands of times greater than would ever be consumed in our coffee.

Switch to matcha green tea instead of coffee, your body & mind will thank you for it.

It's healthier, rich in antioxidants, & helps burn more calories. Can be used in cooking & baking too. I like adding a teaspoon of the bright green stuff to my vanilla flavored protein shakes, sometimes a shake & a bowl of berries is all I need in the morning. <3

From the link in the first post:

“One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a byproduct of roasting coffee beans that is present in high levels in brewed coffee.”

And a doctor on CNN today mentioned that acrylamide is one of those substances that was deemed dangerous and cancer-causing, by feeding it to laboratory animals in quantities of thousands of times greater than would ever be consumed in our coffee.

Yes everything in moderation...

Switch to matcha green tea instead of coffee, your body & mind will thank you for it.

It's healthier, rich in antioxidants, & helps burn more calories. Can be used in cooking & baking too. I like adding a teaspoon of the bright green stuff to my vanilla flavored protein shakes, sometimes a shake & a bowl of berries is all I need in the morning. <3

You’ve done a great job of touting its health benefits, but for some reason you haven’t said a thing about its taste. If it’s one of those things you have to learn to like, I’m probably not going to try it.

Gman

Consuming too much water can kill you. We all have to go someday, somehow. I prefer going with a nice caffeine buzz... :D

4648491244987613424.jpg

California’s Prop 65 ...

A profile in how the voter-approved proposition system can lead to very unintended consequences. It was intended to protect against cancer-causing chemicals from being dumped and leaching into drinking water supplies. Now it is being used to put stupid labels on coffee cups.

This story, the judge is still reviewing before issuing a ruling, made the morning news here in the Bay Area.

News channel also did a poll. 80% of respondents said research, ruling, printed warning, will have no effect on their coffee consumption.

There's supposedly some correlation between roasting and the carcinogen.... darker=worse.

Im about to put down my tablet and go set the coffeemaker timer for tomorrow morning. French Roast.

I drink a lot of coffee. I also drink a lot of iced tea (though I make that decaf, where I tend to drink regular coffee). If it's gonna kill me, it's sure taking its own sweet time doing it. I'm not stopping anytime soon.

Coffee has become my mainstay at work - my students and theatre colleagues know that I'm never without a mug of coffee - usually Starbucks - in class or rehearsals, etc. Which has led to many class/show gifts of new coffee mugs, Starbucks gift cards, etc. :D

Edited by bostonman

My reading of this is that it's a chemical in coffee, and not related to caffeine so tea, cola and cacao are not affected. This is another one of those ridiculous cases where people confuse 'known carcinogen' that would require an almost infinite dose, with 'suspected carcinogen' for which even a small dose would be dangerous if the link were confirmed.

@bigjoey Trump allegedly drinks 13 diet coke every day...

Please tell me that's dangerous too.

Ha!

Carbonation makes me burp too much, lol, so I don't tend to drink a lot of soda. But I do sometimes.

Or, along with my love for coffee, I have a collection of flavor syrups like you would see in a coffee place nowadays. So sometimes I'll do what they used to call an "Italian Soda" (they still might call it that) - seltzer, some flavored syrup, and sometimes a bit of cream or milk.

Another thing I love is what the Greeks call "cafe frappe" - which is not the same as a frappuccino, though it's a form of blended coffee drink. Very refreshing, especially as a summer drink. I spent a summer in Greece some years back, and practically lived on them, lol.