WARNING: Your morning coffee can kill you

bigjoey
This topic is 1775 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago I remember reading a sad story about a woman in California. She had a young child who was ill so she bought over-the-counter meds. She didn't know English only Spanish and thus could not read the directions that said not give to a child under a certain age. Her child went blind. She sued wanting both monetary compensation and box instructions in Spanish. She lost. California is so linguistically diverse that if the instructions were put in all the languages spoken there it would take a box the size of refrigerator for a small bottle of pills.

From the link in the first post:

“One of those chemicals is acrylamide, a byproduct of roasting coffee beans that is present in high levels in brewed coffee.”

And a doctor on CNN today mentioned that acrylamide is one of those substances that was deemed dangerous and cancer-causing, by feeding it to laboratory animals in quantities of thousands of times greater than would ever be consumed in our coffee.

It's also present in fried potatoes. The golden arches better watch out, but I haven't given up my occasional hash brown....

fda.gov: You Can Help Cut Acrylamide in Your Diet

Not exactly. It is not about California being diverse.

In rare cases Ibuprofen can cause that reaction, even children's ibuprofen. Children all over the country have been affected but it is very rare.

https://www.today.com/news/parent-says-motrin-caused-child-s-blindness-wbna6986891

Thank-you. I have been taking both Ibuprofen and DicloFENAC POT. But at my last doctor visit he said that I did not need to take both so I'm going to just take the Diclo.

Edited by Avalon

Not exactly. It is not about California being diverse.

In rare cases Ibuprofen can cause that reaction, even children's ibuprofen. Children all over the country have been affected but it is very rare.

https://www.today.com/news/parent-says-motrin-caused-child-s-blindness-wbna6986891

Yikes. Blindness would be my #1 fear. If that happened to me I'd just down the rest of them and hope it killed me. A blind caliguy is just never going to happen. Poor girl.

Only in California does this STUPID type of nonsense happen. I only wish I were young enough to get the hell out of here. All my family and friends are here and the unfortunate truth is that when one reaches a certain age one tends to stay where ones doctors are.

I left after 30 Years. I lived by the beach yet I don’t miss it that much. Love living in two states without income or capital gains taxes! And one of them is on the West Coast.

Only in California does this STUPID type of nonsense happen. I only wish I were young enough to get the hell out of here. All my family and friends are here and the unfortunate truth is that when one reaches a certain age one tends to stay where ones doctors are.

This is were you draw the line saying enough? Seriously? A warning label about coffee?

If Obama care is destroyed I'm sure California will come up with a system of their own too because those crazy liberals who financed the poorest/most conservative states in the country with their tax dollars care about helping each other.

Go to Appalachia, South, Midwest and see how much you like Bible thumpers messing with your personal life in things other than just one more silly warning label.

I love coffee. I’ve got a French press and a stovetop espresso maker and a ibrik (for Turkish coffee). I love buying the beans, grinding the beans, making the coffee - the whole ritual of it. I drink it black and strong. It makes me very happy and if coffee is the thing that kills me, well, ok.

I love how there are these constant debates about eggs and wine and chocolate and fish and and and. Like it’s some big fucking surprise that we’re gonna die.

Time for more coffee.

This is were you draw the line saying enough? Seriously? A warning label about coffee?

If Obama care is destroyed I'm sure California will come up with a system of their own too because those crazy liberals who financed the poorest/most conservative states in the country with their tax dollars care about helping each other.

Yes. I live in Los Angeles and someone considering moving over a warning label would be completely ridiculous. I'd say if these are your biggest complaints you've got a pretty good life. That's also why we have clean air and water now. More of those nonsense regulations.

Right now we've expanded medicare/medi cal. The next step is California's version of Universal Healthcare. I say why not. Were like the 6th largest economy in the world. Better then continually financing shit hole red states who crap on their own people and expect us to finance them along with no representation.

Yes. I live in Los Angeles and someone considering moving over a warning label would be completely ridiculous. I'd say if these are your biggest complaints you've got a pretty good life. That's also why we have clean air and water now. More of those nonsense regularion

Right now we've expanded medicare/medi cal. The next step is California's version of Universal Healthcare. I say why not. Were like the 6th largest economy in the world. Better then continually financing shit hole red states who crap on their own people and expect us to finance them along with no representation.

Exactly! No other place is perfect but we should make our choices most of the time.

You said the R word, I didn't... I don't want to be accused by the hypersensitive crowd again of bullying someone but it they do: bring it on!

Because of California's economic power (8th economy in the world) American car companies keep moving toward more fuel efficient cars, that's a good thing, right? Unless yinz want to pay more for gasoline and fight endless wars in the middle East, do fracking all over the country, etc. Do we want to go back to the good ole times when folks had the freedom to throw trash out of the window? Some regulations kill jobs no doubt, but most of them are good for making possible living together in a society.

Some times I think some folks on here play the "libertarian/conservative" card just out of being cranky and whining about something.

• 2 months later...

Really? Most likely you'd miss them but they wouldn't miss you. You don't like where you live, move. There's a lot of "stupid" in other states too.

• 1 year later...