No smartphone?

LaffingBear
This topic is 1117 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Do you know anyone without a smartphone?

Me I turn my flip phone on once or twice a month to make a call, then turn it off. Charge it every couple of months. Only receive calls when I know one's coming, so I turn the phone on. Have texted maybe 5-7 times in my life. I prefer my landline and answering machine. And desktop computer. I still have a vcr set up, but haven't used it in about a year.

Still don't have a smartphone, but have had to turn my flip phone on to get texts about grocery deliveries a couple of times during the pandemic. Still don't feel the need to upgrade.

1816746.jpg

1819406.gif

Edited by samhexum

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know anyone without a smartphone?

I’ll be getting a smartphone… I’m on my sister's family plan, & they pay for me as my yearly Xmas present (or part of it). It’ll be time to upgrade soon, and there are no flip phones available, so they’ll get me the cheapest smartphone.

I’ll be getting a smartphone… I’m on my sister's family plan, & they pay for me as my yearly Xmas present (or part of it). It’ll be time to upgrade soon, and there are no flip phones available, so they’ll get me the cheapest smartphone.

A week or so Apple released its new iPhoneSE - most of the features of its latest iPhone at a lower price - maybe $18 a month on some plans or $449 out of pocket. There's some trade-ins but I doubt they'd apply to antique flip phones. They appear to be trying to preserve their place on the lower end of the cost scale especially outside the US before introducing a new very costly model later this fall. Me? I'm holding on to my 5? year old iPhone6 SE Plus until there is more ATT has more G5 coverage (and I can afford whatever new one Apple comes out with).

A week or so Apple released its new iPhoneSE - most of the features of its latest iPhone at a lower price - maybe $18 a month on some plans or $449 out of pocket. There's some trade-ins but I doubt they'd apply to antique flip phones. They appear to be trying to preserve their place on the lower end of the cost scale especially outside the US before introducing a new very costly model later this fall. Me? I'm holding on to my 5? year old iPhone6 SE Plus until there is more ATT has more G5 coverage (and I can afford whatever new one Apple comes out with).

What? I have an old iPhone model that is called an SE. What gives?

I have my first smartphone, bought and activated 4.5 years ago......a tech-y buddy has told me that's a long time to go without getting a new one.....and, apparently, an updated Southwest Airlines app isn't even allowed on my phone and I now have no SWAir app anymore.......my Costco app now says "access denied" - could this also be because the phone is too old?.......or something else?......

any comments welcome.....thanks!.......

I love the small form factor of the SE. I am hesitant on upgrading as the new one is even bigger. I prefer something unobtrusive.

I got the old SE because I wanted something easy to carry, but I hate trying to text on that tiny keyboard.

I think my iPhone is a 5. I have a problem because I have been blocked from downloading certain newer apps.

I have my first smartphone, bought and activated 4.5 years ago......a tech-y buddy has told me that's a long time to go without getting a new one.....and, apparently, an updated Southwest Airlines app isn't even allowed on my phone and I now have no SWAir app anymore.......my Costco app now says "access denied" - could this also be because the phone is too old?.......or something else?...... any comments welcome..... thanks!.......

Obviously, I know nothing about the subject, but I assume it's a similar situation to my computer, which runs on Windows XP. Several years ago, I stopped getting updates to Chrome because it no longer supports XP. Over the last couple of years more and more websites can't be accessed by Chrome. I'm getting warnings that youtube is going to be another (OMG!!!). Fortunately (for now) Firefox seems to access what Chrome won't.

It's planned obsolescence. You've been happy with your phone. My computer's been good enough for my needs. But they have to become obsolete so we have to buy another.

But they have to become obsolete so we have to buy another.

Only partially true. They've become obsolete so that programmers can make things easier for greater number of users. There's a reason most folks have forsaken Multiplan, 1-2-3, or WordPerfect. (I'm showing my age!)

Only partially true. They've become obsolete so that programmers can make things easier for greater number of users. There's a reason most folks have forsaken Multiplan, 1-2-3, or WordPerfect. (I'm showing my age!)

Yes, but I'm not the only one I know who finds that quite often when technology gets 'upgraded' and/or 'improved' it becomes less convenient and more annoying to use. Even with something as simple as my favorite supermarket's online circular. It was spruced up and somewhat redesigned a year or two ago and now it takes extra clicks to get to it from the store's website or to put things onto my shopping list.

Well, since NYC is supposedly not going to be covid-free for 18 months, and I have lung issues, it'll be a long time before I shop there again. :(

And I prefer Chrome to Firefox, so it's inconvenient for me to have to go back & forth (and it screws up my audio if both are open). Isn't your loss of access to apps inconvenient? If they'd just leave shit alone, computers and phones would be less work to use.

Edited by samhexum

Me

I turn my flip phone on once or twice a month to make a call, then turn it off. Charge it every couple of months. Only receive calls when I know one's coming, so I turn the phone on. Have texted maybe 5-7 times in my life.

I prefer my landline and answering machine. And desktop computer. I still have a vcr set up, but haven't used it in about a year.

You’re a true non-conformist! No tracking you.

Obviously, I know nothing about the subject, but I assume it's a similar situation to my computer, which runs on Windows XP. Several years ago, I stopped getting updates to Chrome because it no longer supports XP. Over the last couple of years more and more websites can't be accessed by Chrome. I'm getting warnings that youtube is going to be another (OMG!!!). Fortunately (for now) Firefox seems to access what Chrome won't.

It's planned obsolescence. You've been happy with your phone. My computer's been good enough for my needs. But they have to become obsolete so we have to buy another.

This is exactly the reason some apps aren’t downloadable to older smartphones. App developers often need to change coding to be compatible with newer phones and features. I’m neither a developer nor programmer, but I’m sure part of the metadata you provide when downloading apps is what operating system you’re using and what model phone you have. It probably doesn’t make financial sense for developers to maintain multiple versions compatible with older systems and phones when they represent a very small percentage of their users. The same holds true for desktop software.

I have an iPhone X and am eligible for an upgrade, but I’m waiting until next year to see what Apple releases. The only issue I have with my current phone is that I’ve noticed faster depletion of my battery, which is standard and expected after 2 1/2 years.

I’d also strongly suggest selling your old phones yourself rather than turning them in, assuming you own it. I sell my old iPhones on eBay when I upgrade. When I purchased this one in October 2017, I sold my iPhone 6 Plus for $330. I just looked at eBay and my current 256mb iPhone X in excellent condition is selling for $410. Neither Apple nor your carrier will give you that amount of “credit” for your new phone.

Edit: additional thought, keep the phone’s box when you get a new one. When you sell it on eBay, be sure to take a picture of the phone in and with the box. A simple thing, but you’ll be surprised at the psychological aspect of it and the positive effect on the selling price.

Edited by RJD

This is exactly the reason some apps aren’t downloadable to older smartphones. App developers often need to change coding to be compatible with newer phones and features. I’m neither a developer nor programmer, but I’m sure part of the metadata you provide when downloading apps is what operating system you’re using and what model phone you have. It probably doesn’t make financial sense for developers to maintain multiple versions compatible with older systems and phones when they represent a very small percentage of their users. The same holds true for desktop software.

I have an iPhone X and am eligible for an upgrade, but I’m waiting until next year to see what Apple releases. The only issue I have with my current phone is that I’ve noticed faster depletion of my battery, which is standard and expected after 2 1/2 years.

I’d also strongly suggest selling your old phones yourself rather than turning them in, assuming you own it. I sell my old iPhones on eBay when I upgrade. When I purchased this one in October 2017, I sold my iPhone 6 Plus for $330. I just looked at eBay and my current 256mb iPhone X in excellent condition is selling for $410. Neither Apple nor your carrier will give you that amount of “credit” for your new phone.

Great advice WRT disposing of an old phone @RJD. You might want to cover the protocol you used to prep your old phone for sale. FWIW I spent maybe $60 and 90 minutes in the Apple Store in Brooklyn a year or so ago to replace the aging battery in my old iPhone 6 SE Plus. Works fine. It should be OK until ATT has more thorough 5G coverage.

Great advice WRT disposing of an old phone @RJD. You might want to cover the protocol you used to prep your old phone for sale. FWIW I spent maybe $60 and 90 minutes in the Apple Store in Brooklyn a year or so ago to replace the aging battery in my old iPhone 6 SE Plus. Works fine. It should be OK until ATT has more thorough 5G coverage.

Good idea. Follow this link:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201351

This is for iPhones, but the same would be true for all phones. Wipe it clean of all data, which is usually done by “factory reset” or some similar language. You’ll want to consult your phone’s manufacturer guidelines. For the iPhone, I wipe it clean and reset everything to factory defaults so when my buyer gets it and fires it up, it walks them through the setup process as if it’s a brand new phone. Another recommendation, keep the accessories, such as the charging cable. I rarely use the one provided with the new phone, so I leave it in the box still wrapped up. I have wireless chargers throughout my house and in my office and longer lightning cables if I need to charge it while using it, like right now. ? Again, it works in your favor when a potential buyer sees everything intact and still in excellent condition. Oh yeah, and clean the screen before photographing it. I’m shocked at the oily fingerprints in some eBay auction photos.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

DEAR ABBY: My wife and I and four friends were waiting to be served at a restaurant. All four of them began staring at their cellphones. Because I am not a cellphone owner and I spotted a magazine on a nearby table, I picked it up and started reading it. When we got home, my wife said she had been ashamed of my rudeness. Do you think I was rude? -- TIT FOR TAT IN TEXAS

DEAR T.F.T.: Under the circumstances, no, I do not think you were rude. In light of the fact that the others were staring at their cellphones, you should have pleaded self-defense and been found not guilty.

• 3 weeks later...

When I first answered this thread three years ago, I was one of those without a smart phone, though I did have an old flip phone for traveling. I finally broke down and bought an old SE through Consumer Cellular, because I didn't expect to use it very often. It was better than the flip phone, but I took both with me when I was traveling far from home, because the flip phone was AT&T, and I worried about Consumer Cellular coverage; I did have one experience at a small town on the northern California coast when I did have to resort to the flip phone. I liked the SE because it was small, but that also made it hard to use. About six months ago, the flip phone stopped working, so I decided it was time to upgrade my AT&T account to a bigger phone, and I got a new iPhone 11. I don't like the way it works--I hate the swiping instead of the home button--but it is easier to read and type. But it is also inconveniently big and heavy to carry around, so I often leave it home and take the old SE in my pocket.

The thing is, I now have two smart phones, WHICH I HARDLY EVER USE. At home I use a landline for phone calls and my desktop computer for anything I do online. I am retired and spend the majority of my time in my house, even without a pandemic lockdown. I feel insecure if I leave the house without a phone, but in fact I almost never need it. And the only phone calls I get are spam, because everyone I want to talk to has my landline number.

Yes, I do know people who don't have smart phones, and it is usually because they have no practical need for them yet. However, I am concerned about the future, which is obviously being designed to be sure that anyone who doesn't have a smart phone will find it difficult to function in society.

I got a new iPhone 11. I don't like the way it works--I hate the swiping instead of the home button--but it is easier to read and type. But it is also inconveniently big and heavy to carry around, so I often leave it home and take the old SE in my pocket.

My iPhone 7+ is starting to feel just a little worn down (I've had it for about 3 1/2 years), and I'm contemplating going for it and getting the new iPhone 12 Pro Max, despite the cost. I've been warned that it's the biggest one yet, but I don't think I'll mind that. In fact, I will probably like that. But I will miss the home button. The 7+ has a "fake" home button (it works, but the feel of it is more of a simulation), but I'm sure it will take some time getting used to not having one at all. But I know after a while it'll feel fine. I still lament the loss of the headphone jack, though, lol.

I got my first phone (a Blackberry) back in 2010. I had wanted one, but just wasn't ready to make the jump yet. I was afraid I would be attached to it all the time, lol. Well, that came true. I can't imagine not having a smartphone now. Funny how things change...;-)

When I was working, I wanted to be really easy for folks to reach, so I had one of the early car phones and an early flip phone. After I quit, I wanted to be really hard to reach, except for family and good friends. So I've had a couple of iPhones but just give the number to folks I want to hear from.

These days I use it mostly for my music, to take pictures, to look things up and, last week, to get me from my house to Palm Springs.*

I don't mind my phone ringing at home, but I don't like my iPhone ringing when I'm busy or doing something I enjoy. For me it's irritating and I'm fascinated by all the folks who seem to take such things in stride. This whole new way of human communication has sprung up right under my nose. ??

Text messages are especially irritating. I could be taking a hike and enjoying all the wildflowers, or watching something on TV, or daydreaming out in the sun and all of a sudden there's this alert that wants my attention. Does anybody else find this a pain in the ass?

As @Charlie says, it may get harder to function in society without embracing all the connectivity enabled by the smartphone. My car insurance company seems to think so. They told me last year they'd like to serve me better by having my email and cell phone number so they could get in touch with me quicker. Actually it would serve me better if I could get in touch with them quicker. Anything they have to say to me, they can stick in a letter.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg-aws.ehowcdn.com%2F640x640%2Fs3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com%2Fcontentlab.studiod%2Fgetty%2Fcache.gettyimages.com%2F1536d03f8c9241c8b49b7f9092c2adee.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

So I guess the best answer to the OP's question is Who wants to know?

*That Map app is amazing! In the past, I'd use paper maps and I could tell you exactly what route I took. This last trip, I had very little idea what my route looked like. All I knew was that I needed to turn right in 500 feet and then go straight for twenty-seven miles. I don't know if I went through LA or not. ? ?