Do You Own A Tuxedo?

Avalon
This topic is 2274 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I attend several charity events every year that are "black tie". It made sense for me to buy one rather than rent. I bought mine at Nordstrom Rack for about the equivalent of three rental fees. I bought a conservative shawl collar style, and have updated, and personalized it with accessories ( ties, cummerbund, studs) and my Father's Tiffany cuff links. I have not bought formal shoes and just wear plain toe black oxfords which I take to the local shoe shine and have them buffed to high gloss shine.

I actually have 2 - one is regular cut and the other is double breasted.

I have found that a tux which is owned is much better tailored and, let's face it, looks far better than the rented variety.

Lest you ask, why 2? My dad's happened to fit me perfectly except for sleeves and pants length and so I inherited it even tho I had one already. Now, if I feel like getting extra dressy and wearing a vest, I use the single breasted, or if I want to just look spiffy, the double. Oh, and the vest is black velvet, custom made, and really nice!

I used to have 2, but they were work uniforms at a hotel where I worked. Tux in the evening after 5pm. Suits were permitted in the day, but never a blazer and dress slacks.

I've never understood why some even wear jeans with a white shirt, tie and jacket.

Yea I had one but now long gone. I used to supervise the Senior Prom at the high school where I taught for over thirty years. I was also quite active in local charity affairs. Since I wore a tux three or four times a year buying one made better sense that renting. On two or three occasions over the years I even had to do the whole white tie and tails thing -- I rented.

In California I have hardly ever even needed to wear a tie for any occasion.

I live in California and have owned a tux for 20 years. One you wear it three or four times it pays for itself. And as others have said, if you own it you can tailor it to actually fit. Rentals never worked for me. I have relatively broad shoulders in relation to my narrow hips.