Support Peacock Not Allowed On Flight

Gar1eth
Message added by RadioRob,

Please remember to keep politics out of this topic.  Failure to do so will result in post removal and warnings being issued.  

This topic is 1098 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Delta Air Lines is not the only carrier cracking down on emotional support animals.

A woman at Newark Liberty International Airport recently brought a peacock to join her on a United Airlines flight, according to the travel blog Live and Let's Fly. The passenger claimed that she bought an extra ticket to seat her emotional support bird, but United Airlines denied it from boarding the plane.On January 19, Delta made headlines when they announced an update to their service and support animal policy, based on their report that “animal-related incidents” such as urinating, aggression, and biting have increased by 84 percent since 2016. The airline's new rules require passengers with emotional support animals to prove that they have been well trained (and fully vaccinated).

With this recent policy update, United and other airlines may follow suit by enforcing stricter regulations of their own. Current policies at United mandate that trained service and emotional support animals sit in front of the passenger's seat without obstructing the aisle. The passenger must also provide the United Accessibility Desk the appropriate documentation and at least 48-hours advance notice before his or her scheduled flight.

Whether or not the United passenger followed all the necessary steps to bring her emotional support peacock onboard, the airline may have had the right to ban the bird, as it could not have feasibly sat at her feet without “protruding into the aisle,” seat or no seat. To prevent conflict and confusion over situations like this in the future, however, it is possible that United Airlines may be next to update their policies on pets of all stripes and tail feathers.

Gman

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with a support peacock. It might get eaten by the nearest support kitten though.

http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/travel/2018/01/30/woman-denied-emotional-support-peacock-on-united-flight/_jcr_content/article-text/article-par-9/inline_spotlight_ima/image.img.jpg/612/344/1517322364818.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

I heard a story on NPR last summer about support animals and how easy it was to get them "certified", since there really is no standard for certification.

I find myself more and more behind the movement, though ... no secret that I'm a dog lover. We just moved my father into an independent living complex, finding one that allowed dogs (big ones, he's got a retriever like I do) was first on our list of criteria. Last week when I visited him there with my dog, I walked her through the lounge on the way out, and ended up spending about a half-hour longer there as the residents wanted to pet and play with my dog. One admonished me sternly, "you bring her back next week!"

“animal-related incidents” such as urinating, aggression, and biting have increased by 84 percent since 2016

I'm always a little nervous when I see them on a plane. Not because I dislike them, but what if while walking to the lav, and just touching the seat back for support, or a little bump causes you to lean into or grab the seat of the person with the "support" animal, and it goes to the master's defense.

The story of the 300-pound pig that ran wild through an airplane cabin and even tried to enter the cockpit always cracks me up. The high jinx and hilarity continued even after the 300-pound porker got off the plane: "Once the pig was off aircraft, another passenger had to push while the two women pulled to get it in the elevator. The whole time, the pig was squealing so loudly everyone in the terminal heard it." OMG, you can't make this sh*t up! :D

The story of the 300-pound pig that ran wild through an airplane cabin and even tried to enter the cockpit always cracks me up. The high jinx and hilarity continued even after the 300-pound porker got off the plane: "Once the pig was off aircraft, another passenger had to push while the two women pulled to get it in the elevator. The whole time, the pig was squealing so loudly everyone in the terminal heard it." OMG, you can't make this sh*t up! :D

141130153420-pig-on-plane-story-top.jpeg

I was on a United Flight a couple of months ago and someone took a dog into first class. I didn't hear the conversation but I gather he didn't document properly as he had to get off the plane. His traveling companion in coach had to race to get off the plane because I guess he took his sweet time telling her about it. They had to reopen the door.

It's one thing to allow them in residences. It's quite another to allow them in the cramped quarters of an airplane. I simply don't buy that these people can't deal for a couple of hours, the ones who seek out exotic untrained animals. They're just attention seeking.

I was on a United Flight a couple of months ago and someone took a dog into first class. I didn't hear the conversation but I gather he didn't document properly as he had to get off the plane. His traveling companion in coach had to race to get off the plane because I guess he took his sweet time telling her about it. They had to reopen the door.

It's one thing to allow them in residences. It's quite another to allow them in the cramped quarters of an airplane. I simply don't buy that these people can't deal for a couple of hours, the ones who seek out exotic untrained animals. They're just attention seeking.

I think a lot of people are trying to beat the fare to fly a pet. It's around $125 each way. Service/emotional support animals fly for free.

That’s a very understanding girlfriend. The dog was in 1st class, and she was in coach.

I think a lot of people are trying to beat the fare to fly a pet. It's around $125 each way. Service/emotional support animals fly for free.

They did say she bought a ticket for the peacock.

Gman

That’s a very understanding girlfriend. The dog was in 1st class, and she was in coach.

They did say she bought a ticket for the peacock.

Gman

Lol, I was talking about the dog in first class. But since the peacock has a ticket, he can stay. But if he keeps downing those little bottles of liquor, becomes belligerent, and get's out of his seat when the Fasten Seatbelts sign is on; then he's outta there.

My doctor reviewed the "voluminous professional literature" and has prescribed a support Pomeranian.

519c30c75dde9091829920922a6e95f7.png

As have I...;)

My Boo Boo doesn't fly in cargo...period, so everyone can save the lecture. She is not a support animal and neither were previous pets. I also won't do the whole Internet download of docs to sidestep current rules and regulations. That said, American and Delta on domestic flights have been most accommodating. On Delta she slid under the seat in FC, and on American with my previous pet, when I booked, they said that she was only allowed to fly coach. Imagine my horror, but we booked and arrived at the airport and was told that I was able to upgrade and that Ms Roxie would be a welcome addition to the FC clientele. There are numerous restrictions and additional costs for pets without papers designating them as support animals, so planning well in advance is recommended.

Edited by bigvalboy

As have I...;)

My Boo Boo doesn't fly in cargo...period, so save the lecture. She is not a support animal and neither were previous pets. American and Delta on domestic flights have been most accommodating. On Delta she slid under the seat in FC, and on American with my previous pet, when I booked, they said that she was only allowed to fly coach. Imagine my horror, but we booked and arrived at the airport and was told that I was able to upgrade and that Ms Roxie would be a welcome addition to the FC clientele. There are numerous restrictions and additional costs for pets without the proper papers, so planning well in advance is recommended.

Yes, and make sure YOU have read the aitline's policies, and probably printed them to carry with. Chances are good someone at check-in or a gate agent won't be familiar with them.