A Cuisine Qustion

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2261 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d also like them to write my order down and not try to impress me with their memorization skills.

Gman

Servers aren't trying to impress anyone with their memorization ability; not writing down the order at a table is standard operating procedure for posh restaurants. Writing down the order is considered too diner-ish.

Call me unimpressed. I’d prefer they get the order right.

Gman

Gman

Never been an issue memorizing my order. More places with untrained employees using computer POS systems make mistakes.

I used to patronize a 60+ year old restaurant- a grill type. My call waitress was probably 75 years old. Loretta would come to the table, clasp her hands behind her back, and look each of us in the eye and ask “what can I get for you?”. Never wrote down a thing...

I’d also like them to write my order down and not try to impress me with their memorization skills.

Gman

Servers aren't trying to impress anyone with their memorization ability; not writing down the order at a table is standard operating procedure for posh restaurants. Writing down the order is considered too diner-ish.

Gman

To be fair...I honestly can't remember a waiter ever getting my order wrong. Maybe a couple of times at a diner, but nothing ever above that.

Never been an issue memorizing my order. More places with untrained employees using computer POS systems make mistakes.

I used to patronize a 60+ year old restaurant- a grill type. My call waitress was probably 75 years old. Loretta would come to the table, clasp her hands behind her back, and look each of us in the eye and ask “what can I get for you?”. Never wrote down a thing...

I’ve had multiple wrong orders.

Gman

I’ve had multiple wrong orders.

Gman

Back in the early 80s there was a 24 hour Café in the West Village === Genes/Jeans something ---- and there gig was the Servers wrote nothing down - they went and told your order to the cook -- after you ate you went to the Cashier and told him/her what you had eaten ----- NO PAPER -- Except they were Cash Only . . . Coincidence????

One of my favorite meals of all time was back in the 90's -I took the Orient Express from Venice to Paris (24 hours and overnight). Dinner was Roasted Duckling (crispy) with raspberry/cognac sauce. It was sooooooo good!

The experience of being on THE Orient Express was also memorable - formal wear for dinner; line up at bedtime in silk robes and Pjs to use the "facilities" - all a hoot!

One of my favorite meals of all time was back in the 90's -I took the Orient Express from Venice to Paris (24 hours and overnight). Dinner was Roasted Duckling (crispy) with raspberry/cognac sauce. It was sooooooo good!

The experience of being on THE Orient Express was also memorable - formal wear for dinner; line up at bedtime in silk robes and Pjs to use the "facilities" - all a hoot!

The closest I’ve come, which is nowhere close at all, is taking the Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver. The food wasn’t roasted duckling, but I do remember pork loin with a blueberry sauce.

Gman

In the 70s, almost any decent restaurant had roast duck on the menu with a fruit glaze - orange, rasperries, blackberries, etc. I miss it. It was one of my favorite restaurant meals. Sometime, I think it was around the time that nouvelle cuisine became popular, the roasted duck disappeared and was replaced with all kinds of fussy preparations of duck breast. At Christmas, I was in a French restaurant in Santa Rosa and they had roasted duck on the menu. When I asked about it, the server warned me away from it.

In the 70s, almost any decent restaurant had roast duck on the menu with a fruit glaze - orange, rasperries, blackberries, etc. I miss it. It was one of my favorite restaurant meals. Sometime, I think it was around the time that nouvelle cuisine became popular, the roasted duck disappeared and was replaced with all kinds of fussy preparations of duck breast. At Christmas, I was in a French restaurant in Santa Rosa and they had roasted duck on the menu. When I asked about it, the server warned me away from it.

Duck is a somewhat regular dish for me at home, say 4-5 times a year. Sometime pekin sometimes Muscovy. Plain roasted my favorite, usually with a citrus/pineapple brine. Sometimes orange sauce, and sometimes slow smoked.....that’s good!

Duck is a somewhat regular dish for me at home, say 4-5 times a year. Sometime pekin sometimes Muscovy. Plain roasted my favorite, usually with a citrus/pineapple brine. Sometimes orange sauce, and sometimes slow smoked.....that’s good!

That sounds really good!!

I was at a restaurant last week with 11 other people. The waiter took all 12 of our orders without writing down a word. Everything was presented exactly right.

I was at a restaurant last week with 11 other people. The waiter took all 12 of our orders without writing down a word. Everything was presented exactly right.

I had the exact opposite experience last week....

4 people at dinner. Simple orders, but you could just tell by the blank

stare in the waiters eyes nothing was registering. I even suggested

that he write down the orders. “I don’t need to”.....

Yep, you guessed it....every single item was fucked up....soup to nuts.

I politely suggested to the manager that he encourage that young

man to pursue an alternate careeer path.....

she is a pro. sort of like the waitress at the original "Durgin Park" in boston