A Cuisine Qustion

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2261 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Duck is a somewhat regular dish for me at home, say 4-5 times a year. Sometime pekin sometimes Muscovy. Plain roasted my favorite, usually with a citrus/pineapple brine. Sometimes orange sauce, and sometimes slow smoked.....that’s good!

Roasted Crisp with Seasoned Skin and served with Dark Bing Cherry Sauce for Dipping

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Renowned French chef Andre Surmain dies at 97

After running what was long considered one of New York City’s top French restaurants at Lutèce, Andre Surmain has died. The 97-year-old French chef was a bastion of old-guard fine dining, with his restaurant debuting in 1961 with dinner costing $435, in today’s dollars. Though Lutèce closed in 2004 — Surmain left in the early 1970s — Surmain left his mark on the NYC dining world with his disregard for diners’ opinions, strict commitment to traditional French food, and likening for luxury.

I occasionally joined a friend at Lutece for special occasions, because he loved it, but I never thought it was worth the price.

I've never been to Lutuce in NYC, just the Las Vegas version a couple of times. Once was the "discount" pre-theater prix fixe menu. I forgot the price, but I actually thought it was a helluva bargain given the quality of the food and service. The other time was the regular six-course tasting menu. Yup, it's pricey, but for a special occasion (it was my mother's 75th birthday), I thought it was a fair value. I don't remember what I paid but do remember that the food was exquisite. I should mention that I never order alcohol when fine dining. The tab is going to be expensive to begin with. Adding profit-margin-pumping bottles of wine to the bill is just too extravagant for my budget.

once read that if, at these fairly expensive, popular "prime steakhouses", one only orders the steak and water to drink, the restaurant will lose money.....no secret, I guess, that the big profit is in the sides, drinks, and dessert

that's it from me!....not a foodie here!

My Dad often gets shorted on his birthday dinner since it's so close to Thanksgiving. I offered to make whatever he wanted on his actual birthday one year, and he wanted hot dogs ("snorkers" was the term he used). I dressed them up - I grilled sauerkraut, brought along five or six types of mustard, etc - but that's what he wanted.

My Dad often gets shorted on his birthday dinner since it's so close to Thanksgiving. I offered to make whatever he wanted on his actual birthday one year, and he wanted hot dogs ("snorkers" was the term he used). I dressed them up - I grilled sauerkraut, brought along five or six types of mustard, etc - but that's what he wanted.

When I was a kid, my mother got our meat at an old-style meat market where they made all of their own sausage. The hot dogs she got from there were a type of sausage called "steamers." When she first started buying them, we didn't like them because we were used to grocery-store hot dogs. Eventually we got so we hated grocery store hot dogs. They actually became fashionable in the 80's. It was considered a cool thing to go to Zimmerman's meat market for a steamer.

• 2 weeks later...