Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

MartyB

Finished it & was very happy to see Midge finally get some comeuppance for always being so glib and talking shit about every person in her life while onstage.  I found it off-putting after awhile.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:33 PM, E.T.Bass said:

I love everything about it. For example the Sophie Lennon character. Love Jane Lynch.

I'm liking Joel more and more. He sure seemed to like Shy. ?

And also Mei.

I know Jane Lynch is good, but (starting with GLEE) I've despised every character she's played.  I wanted to fast forward every scene she was in in Mrs. Maisel, and she almost ruined ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING for me.  The last character she played that I didn't hate was Charlie's shrink on 2 1/2 MEN.  I think Lois Griffin is the best part of the show. Joel's mother is the worst part, Abe the second worst, and Sophie the third worst (because she had much less screen time than Abe).

If Joel really wants to impress Mei, he should buy her a phone from AT&T.

On 4/6/2020 at 11:08 AM, E.T.Bass said:

the actor portraying Moms Mabley was perfect.

Yeah, that Wanda Sykes may have a career ahead of her.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

Another mild criticism:  I was thrown out of the era's atmosphere by the occasional use of words and phrases that weren't used back then.

For example, I don't think people said 'back in the day' (a phrase I HATE) back in the day, but somebody on the show said it.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.

On 1/10/2022 at 9:50 PM, samhexum said:

I know Jane Lynch is good, but (starting with GLEE) I've despised every character she's played.  I wanted to fast forward every scene she was in in Mrs. Maisel, and she almost ruined ONLY MURDERS IN THE BUILDING for me.  The last character she played that I didn't hate was Charlie's shrink on 2 1/2 MEN.  I think Lois Griffin is the best part of the show. Joel's mother is the worst part, Abe the second worst, and Sophie the third worst (because she had much less screen time than Abe).

If Joel really wants to impress Mei, he should buy her a phone from AT&T.

Yeah, that Wanda Sykes may have a career ahead of her.

We're not supposed to like Jane Lynch's character, Sophie Lennon.  You fast forwarding through her scenes makes me think Maisel is not the right show for you.

Lynch has two Emmy noms for Maisel, one win.

6 hours ago, E.T.Bass said:

We're not supposed to like Jane Lynch's character, Sophie Lennon.  You fast forwarding through her scenes makes me think Maisel is not the right show for you.

Lynch has two Emmy noms for Maisel, one win.

I didn't say I fast forwarded, I said I WANTED TO fast forward.  I've never really understood why some comedies think it's entertaining for the audience to watch unlikable characters.  Bev on ROSEANNE was like that, too.  If her own family couldn't stand to spend any time with her, why would the viewing audience want to?  There's a difference between a character being difficult and being unenjoyable.  Lynch seems to specialize in the latter.

As for her Emmy noms for the show, I said I know she's good.  My comment had nothing to do with the quality of her work, just the annoying characters she's played. Just like I thought Tony Shalhoub was very good as Abe, another character I wanted to see brutally mugged and beaten to death... over and over again.

• 1 month later...
On 2/18/2022 at 7:09 AM, samhexum said:

I still find Susie more interesting and likable than Midge. 

Alex Borstein thinks her “Marvelous Mrs. Maisel” character, Susie Myerson, is a “bit of a 40-year-old virgin.”

The actress said that while a lot of people want Susie to be in the LGBTQIA community, she doesn’t prioritize her sexuality.

“I feel like Susie doesn’t know,” Borstein told Page Six at the Season 4 premiere of the Amazon Prime show earlier this month. “I feel like Susie has never taken the time or had the luxury of figuring that part of her life out. I think she is a bit of a 40-year-old virgin.”

The “Family Guy” star went on to explain that she believes there is a love story on the show and it’s between Susie and her client Midge Maisel (Rachel Brosnahan).

“But it’s platonic,” she added. “She is in love with this woman, with her mind, with her talent, with her chutzpah but I also think she wouldn’t pass up a night with Lenny Bruce. I think Susie would sleep with talent whatever the package.”

Borstein believes that Myerson isn’t closeted, it’s just that finding a romance isn’t “a priority.”

“It’s a show about a time when people didn’t deal with that if they didn’t want to, aired in a time where everyone wants to talk about it,” she sagely noted, “so it’s interesting.”

The “MADtv” alum also revealed that she was astonished by the response to her 2019 Emmy speech, in which she spoke of her Hungarian-born mother and grandmother.

“They are immigrants — they are Holocaust survivors,” she during her speech. “My grandmother was in line to be shot into a pit. She said, ‘What happens if I step out of line?’ He said, ‘I don’t have the heart to shoot you, but somebody will,’ and she stepped out of line. For that, I am here and my children are here.”

“So, step out of line, ladies,” she urged while applause swelled. “Step out of line!”

“I had no idea what that was going to turn into it,” she exclaimed. “I’m so happy to talk about my grandmother and keep her alive for my mom. It started out for me and ended up affecting a large portion of the public which is kind of wonderful especially when we’re living in a time where we’re banning books like ‘Maus’ and people are denying the Holocaust and there’s a lot of anti-semitism. It’s nice to put something on the other side of the scale.”

https://pagesix.com/2022/02/20/alex-borstein-on-her-marvelous-mrs-maisel-characters-sexuality/

image.thumb.png.544dfb17a715c39c9f0614f4a07b30b2.png

I don't think the show needs to focus on anyone's sexuality.  

The show works because it knows what lane it's in. It's quippy, quick and brilliant writing.  

They've done the 'closeted' storyline with Shy Baldwin last season.  Focusing now on Susie's sexuality would steer the story away from the title card:  Mrs. Maisel.  The show is hers.  Everyone else is ancillary.

The show would get bogged down.  This is a light, smart, frothy comedy.  Let it be just that.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:09 AM, samhexum said:

Not much has changed.

I still find Susie more interesting and likable than Midge.  Joel's mother is still one of the most annoying characters in TV history.  Sophie Lennon had one scene in the two episodes, and that was one scene too many for my liking.  

I loved that scene.   I literally lol'd when she signed the contract "Lucille Fucking Ball"   

Wonder if Shy will come back.   That isn't the actor that sings and the person that does his voice for signing is on the Sirius broadway channel sometimes.

I wonder why Amazon is releasing a new show every friday instead of the entire season like they usually do.

On 2/22/2022 at 10:37 PM, handiacefailure said:

I loved that scene.   I literally lol'd when she signed the contract "Lucille Fucking Ball"   THAT  I actually laughed at.

I wonder why Amazon is releasing a new show every friday instead of the entire season like they usually do.  It seems like streaming services try to stretch out the final seasons of their hits, often splitting the final one into 2 batches.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

• 2 weeks later...

Ned Eisenberg, who played Lou in episode 5, died a few days ago after a 2 year battle with cancer.  He was 65.  He played 2 different lawyers many times on LAW & ORDER and SVU.  He had also played Christopher Meloni's older brother in the sitcom THE FANELLI BOYS.

13 hours ago, samhexum said:

Ned Eisenberg, who played Lou in episode 5, died a few days ago after a 2 year battle with cancer.  He was 65.  He played 2 different lawyers many times on LAW & ORDER and SVU.  He had also played Christopher Meloni's older brother in the sitcom THE FANELLI BOYS.

RIP Ned.

Sam, for someone who hates the show, you have a disproportionate set of opinions and trivia about it. 
“I’ll never eat there again, the food is absolute poison!! And the portions are too small.” 😂

5 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

RIP Ned.

Sam, for someone who hates the show, you have a disproportionate set of opinions and trivia about it. 
“I’ll never eat there again, the food is absolute poison!! And the portions are too small.” 😂

Who says I hate the show?  I just don't love it to the extent that most people do.  And I simply wish Abe, Shirley, and Sophie would be decapitated in a runaway-guillotine sort of scenario. (Susie gets Sophie another shot on Broadway playing Marie Antoinette.  The prop manager, sick of Jane Lynch playing annoying characters, makes a 'mistake' and sets up a real guillotine, then consults with one of Abe's former math students to figure out the perfect angle so the blade flies off into the audience after beheading Sophie and beheads Abe, who is reviewing the show, and Shirley, who is sitting behind him in the 'annoying characters who got free tickets' section.)

As for memories of Mr. Eisenberg... any show that had young Mr. Meloni's butt squeezed into a pair of spandex bike shorts in one episode (and tight jeans in some others) is seared into my memory.  Every time I ever saw Ned Eisenberg onscreen I'd say to myself 'there's the guy whose younger brother wore bike shorts that one time..."

https://www.companyofmen.org/topic/118930-im-shocked-nobody-posted-this-monumental-tv-news-stabler-returns/?do=findComment&comment=1973411

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Everyone here seems to give this show glowing reviews so I thought I'd check it out. I watched season one Episodes one and two. It was like fingernails on a chalkboard. I hated it. Everything about the lead character annoys me. What am I missing ?

Watch a few episodes and you'll love it.   I think Season two was the best   Loved the one in the catskills in Season two and the one where Meriam "came out" and admitted to doing comedy.   

Season four isn't as good 

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

I have watched two episodes of Season 4 so far and am struggling to keep watching. The show has gone downhill from Season 1.

I do like Joel.

I am disappointed in season four also and hope it picks up.   I'm surprised it got a season five.

There were some funny parts like when Suzie visited Jane Lynch and how she signed the contract and when Mariam took Suzie to a lesbian bar in the village.

Seems like Suzie has more scenes this season than Mariam.