Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

MartyB

I love Mozart in the Jungle. I haven't checked Marvelous Mrs. Maisel yet but I'm more interested if it is a homage to Joan Rivers

Just finished the first season of Mozart. Very good. Liked Maisel more. Not a fact just a personal choice.

• 1 year later...

I'm late to the party on this one. Just finished S1, Epi 1 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

So far it is a perfect alternative to binge after finishing Amazon's The Boys, S1, which was a crazy, wild ride.

Love how the climax of the first epi was played

By in the background,

and then

ran with the credits.

I'm a sucker for a show like this. Glad I finally started.

1fe1d271a1bd9037b67dbd0cd261a794.500x500x1.jpg

I'm late to the party on this one. Just finished S1, Epi 1 of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

So far it is a perfect alternative to binge after finishing Amazon's The Boys, S1, which was a crazy, wild ride.

Love how the climax of the first epi was played

By in the background,

and then

ran with the credits.

I'm a sucker for a show like this. Glad I finally started.

1fe1d271a1bd9037b67dbd0cd261a794.500x500x1.jpg

The showrunners are brilliant. The music choices are grin-inducing. Someone also clearly loves Streisand.

The promos for the new season look great: Can't wait to see it (12/6/2019).

The showrunners are brilliant. The music choices are grin-inducing. Someone also clearly loves Streisand.

The promos for the new season look great: Can't wait to see it (12/6/2019).

That's right!

I did catch it was Streisand in this first epi singing Come to the Supermarket. Good stuff.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Finished S3. Love the idea of Shy Baldwin, and also the actor portraying Moms Mabley was perfect.

Trying to sort out in my head why the homage to Casablanca. Fun stuff. What a creative show!

Wanda Sykes portrayed Moms Mabley. I live in Forest Hills the show was camped down in filming for quite a long time. It was awesome. Obviously Shy Baldwin is Johnny Mathis.

Wanda Sykes portrayed Moms Mabley. I live in Forest Hills the show was camped down in filming for quite a long time. It was awesome. Obviously Shy Baldwin is Johnny Mathis.

Johnny Mathis came to mind. Esquire magazine thought the character was potentially a composite, mentioning Harry Belafonte and Mathis.

Found almost nothing written about the Casablanca reference from the end of S3. Perhaps a lot of internet bloggers have either not seen that movie or somehow don't carry an impression of that iconic scene. Time marches on.

From the on-line critics, it almost seems there is an agenda to nitpick the show by reviewers that find the story arcs not resonating with them. Too bad. I love everything about it. For example the Sophie Lennon character. Love Jane Lynch.

One reviewer questioned how a gay character story arc makes sense back in that era. Such narrow, shallow thinking! as if gays just showed up lately in these woke times we're in.

I'm liking Joel more and more. He sure seemed to like Shy. ?

And also Mei.

jane-lynch_creative-arts-emmy-2019_2019.jpg

Edited by E.T.Bass

• 4 months later...

I am ready to binge watch Season 3 again.

Among many 2020 Emmy nominations, Sterling K Brown for Supporting Actor in a Comedy.

Indeed, it’s awesome!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I binged the first 2 seasons of THE MESHUGANAH MRS. MAISEL in a day and a half over the weekend, so obviously I enjoyed it, but I have a few criticisms:

1.  The entire cast kept mispronouncing her name.  I knew a family growing up named Maisel, and it's pronounced myZELL.  They could've just had her use MAYzle as a stage name, because the audiences & club owners kept calling her that.

2.  The end of the 2nd season was supposed to mark a year since Joel left.  I know that's a good milestone to use for dramatic effect, but it seemed far too quick for everything that happened in the 2 seasons to happen,  given the era & the lack of successful women stand ups at the time, especially considering Midge's complete lack of experience & Susie's lack of experience as a manager.

The first season ended with Midge's boffo set at The Gaslight, & using her name onstage for the first time. That should've been the one year mark.  Then the telethon appearance & subsequent offer of a 6 month tour that ended season 2 should've been the 2nd anniversary of Joel leaving.

3.  Joel's mother seems like one of those characters writers come up with to throw every stereotype and eccentricity at, figuring the audience will find her so ridiculous they'll laugh at her on sight.  EPIC FAIL!  I found her character extremely annoying any time she was onscreen.

4.  Midge's mom seemed like a believable character for me, except for her reliance on psychics.  Nothing about her character seemed 'old-world' to me, she didn't seem massively tied to 'the traditional ways' and she was fairly cosmopolitan, so the psychic visits did not ring true to me.

5.  I think Tony Shalhoub did a good job bringing the character as written to life, but he seemed more like a caricature than a character to me.  I originally thought his scenes in Paris when he stayed with Rose for a while were kind of a saving grace for the character, but when I thought about it, nothing else in the 2 seasons made it seem like he'd have the patience or social graces to have that in him. 

Did anybody recognize Midge's (& Abe's) lawyer?  It was Doogie Howser's best friend, Vinny Delpino.

Edited by samhexum
Just for the hell of it.