Anyone else surprised?

This topic is 2373 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I don't get too surprised too often, but I must say I'm surprised at the number of sexual predators we've been seeing in powerful positions. I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised at learning they hire prostitutes, but why put one's lucrative career at risk when you can buy it for not too much money (especially for what they make)? The most surprising for me was Charlie Rose. I never would have pegged him as a sexual predator. Do people go into these careers with the idea of getting free booty? I don't get it...

I don't get too surprised too often, but I must say I'm surprised at the number of sexual predators we've been seeing in powerful positions. ... Do people go into these careers with the idea of getting free booty? I don't get it...

I'm not all that surprised, and I don't think they go into these careers thinking of that. I think it is purely a matter of entitlement and what they thought they could get away with. When #metoo became a thing, a prominent Australian journalist tweeted asking for women who had personal experiences to come forward, expecting maybe 10. She received over 500, naming over 50 different men [mainly] in the entertainment industry. One prominent television personality was named by over 6o women. One newspaper chain with the national broadcaster did an investigation and went public about a week ago. Executives at the TV station he was on said they always thought he was a sleazebag, but 'there were no complaints'. After the piece aired on the ABC and was published in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, more women came forward. Apparently the next in line will be publicised in the coming weeks.

This whole thing has a long way to go, and almost inevitably there will be some untested and unfair allegations that come forward. The contested motives in the Franken case are a case in point.

I don't get too surprised too often, but I must say I'm surprised at the number of sexual predators we've been seeing in powerful positions...

A dam has broken. And a lot of sordid behavior that had been hushed up, brushed off, discreetly handled or flat-out ignored for years is spilling into public view all at once.

Not surprisingly, we feel kind of ... inundated. It will take a while to get caught up on what has been suppressed for so long.

The risk is that the near-daily revelations will start to seem like too much ...

Some accuser will be caught in a lie and it will be a handy excuse for a backlash. You can already feel the impulse for a backlash in some of the posts that have been made to this site.

A dam has broken. And a lot of sordid behavior that had been hushed up, brushed off, discreetly handled or flat-out ignored for years is spilling into public view all at once.

Not surprisingly, we feel kind of ... inundated. It will take a while to get caught up on what has been suppressed for so long.

The risk is that the near-daily revelations will start to seem like too much ...

Some accuser will be caught in a lie and it will be a handy excuse for a backlash. You can already feel the impulse for a backlash in some of the posts that have been made to this site.

I am feeling the fatigue from all the revelations and I am fighting it. Also, fighting my tendency to feel protective over those whom I consider to have the "correct" politics. It cannot be easy for these women and men. I just hope that we come out of this a better society.

I wouldn't have been surprised at learning they hire prostitutes, but why put one's lucrative career at risk when you can buy it for not too much money (especially for what they make)?

The consistence theme has been a powerful, sometimes publicly beloved, person taking advantage of a woman/man with much less power.

And it's almost always a person they know.

Edited by WilliamM

It is just remarkable how pervasive it is. Perhaps as a gay man I had no idea how widespread the phenomena is even though I did have a great idea of how little regard men held women. And to a certain extent I did understand and feel the fear that women felt from straight men. In a different way but to a certain degree. I think (for myself anyway) there was not the same pervasive sexual predation among the gay community. I know that it must be there and, of course, there has already been Kevin Spacey, Denny Hastert, etc., etc., but perhaps because there did not seem to be a physical safety fear that is rampant among straight men and women. And perhaps in many cases out gay men have not been among the elite (of any type, political, business, entertainment) so that it could not occur in the same way.

Edited by TruthBTold

I think climbing to the top in almost any field doesn't specifically require, but is greatly aided by a level of narcissism/ruthlessness that correlates strongly with being an abuser in general. The type of people who actively seek power often aren't "nice" people.

The causation goes in the other direction too. Those who climb to the top acquire a sense that they can do anything with impunity.

The thing that surprises me is how many of the reports include the guy exposing himself to women. Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Louis CK, etc. The unwanted touching, the lewd come-ons, the coercion, all that is terrible. But the dick display seems just weird to me.

Yeah, you have to be pretty twisted to want to expose it to random women. But again, there's that sense that they can do anything.

I'm not all that surprised, and I don't think they go into these careers thinking of that. I think it is purely a matter of entitlement and what they thought they could get away with. When #metoo became a thing, a prominent Australian journalist tweeted asking for women who had personal experiences to come forward, expecting maybe 10. She received over 500, naming over 50 different men [mainly] in the entertainment industry. One prominent television personality was named by over 6o women. One newspaper chain with the national broadcaster did an investigation and went public about a week ago. Executives at the TV station he was on said they always thought he was a sleazebag, but 'there were no complaints'. After the piece aired on the ABC and was published in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age, more women came forward. Apparently the next in line will be publicised in the coming weeks.

This whole thing has a long way to go, and almost inevitably there will be some untested and unfair allegations that come forward. The contested motives in the Franken case are a case in point.

11503.jpg?1512081688

I assume it's only for a day, but I like your new avatar, Mike.

You're a great guy, but you actually never looked better. ;)

The Hollywood "casting couch" has been a very well known fact seemingly forever. Because Hollywood is very prominent it has been easier to know about. I think the same sense of entitlement that has blossomed in Hollywood is also pervasive throughout politics, big business and the sports worlds. While bingeing on "Mad Men" recently I was reminded of the 'contempt' that women and underlings were held in during the time period depicted. I was in that world and the picture was completely accurate as to the treatment of women. Although (perhaps because I am gay) I never physically partook....verbally; baby, cutie, boobs, etc. was the order of the day for referring to the women to their faces. Slapping them on the ass and pressing against them was a day to day occurrence.

Watch movies from the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's and even the 70's to see how mainstream provocative behavior to women was present and even the brunt of laughter set-ups.

I worry that some women will seek revenge - unjustly. But I was there and the vast majority will certainly have a case.

Interesting that none of this seems to be directed at Drumpf! The teflon piece of excrement just lies and his Trumpets just go for it. To quote one of the 124 words in his vocabulary....."SAD"!

Im not surprised at all.

Although there's no real way to prove it, I believe that only a very small fraction of whats actually occurred is - or ever will - come to light.

• Men think with their crotch much more often then we choose to admit, or are even aware.
  • Wealthy, successful people dont believe norms and social standards apply to them.
  • I know extraordinarily intelligent, successful, liberal, social do-gooders who think that satisfying libidinous urges is perfectly acceptable. Ive listened to them opine about FDR, JFK, etc....

Three ingredients that, when combined, are a recipe for making non-consensual, sexual, overtures.

The causation goes in the other direction too. Those who climb to the top acquire a sense that they can do anything with impunity.

Not always true with powerful women. A well-known female Kennedy Center Honoree contradicted me in public, and immediately realized her mistake and apologized.

It happened in 1980 before her Kennedy Center tribute later that decade.

The thing that surprises me is how many of the reports include the guy exposing himself to women. Matt Lauer, Charlie Rose, Louis CK, etc. The unwanted touching, the lewd come-ons, the coercion, all that is terrible. But the dick display seems just weird to me.

...Yeah, you have to be pretty twisted to want to expose it to random women...

I agree with you both. Exposing oneself always struck me as something a mental patient who was released too soon did, not something a celebrity would do.

...But again, there's that sense that they can do anything.

True that. Perhaps they did a good job of hiding mental illness and managed to avoid getting diagnosed and treated.

Showing your dick seems to cross socioeconomic strata. On other discussion boards I've been on it seems a LOT of women have had the experience of a guy on a date just whipping it out either in the car or at the table at dinner and not at a time when they were getting it on.

I think climbing to the top in almost any field doesn't specifically require, but is greatly aided by a level of narcissism/ruthlessness that correlates strongly with being an abuser in general. The type of people who actively seek power often aren't "nice" people.

I guess that might be it. I do know some nice people in powerful places, but often the powerful are just skilled manipulators.