Firefox has become Bloated

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2357 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I use Firefox as my preferred browser.

Recently, it's become bloated. I have to check my Task Manager about every ten minutes, because Firefox will (?) suddenly become 2, 3, 4, 5 GB and all but crash my system.

Firefox has several recommendations how to fix this, none of which is worthwhile.

Does anyone know if it's possible to limit the resources that Firefox uses? I'd try to clear my cache, but that seems to wipe out my stored passwords (no, it's nothing of interest ... well, they're for my prurient interests).

Any assistance will be appreciated. BTW: Windows 10; 8 GB ram.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently, it's become bloated. I have to check my Task Manager about every ten minutes, because Firefox will (?) suddenly become 2, 3, 4, 5 GB and all but crash my system.

Firefox has several recommendations how to fix this, none of which is worthwhile.

Does anyone know if it's possible to limit the resources that Firefox uses? I'd try to clear my cache, but that seems to wipe out my stored passwords (no, it's nothing of interest ... well, they're for my prurient interests).

Same: Windows 10 8GB ram. I have always preferred Firefox, however it also began crashing my system a couple of weeks ago. It would happen several times a day. I tried several Internet fixes and nothing worked, except one fix did recommend uninstalling it. I was finally able to uninstall Firefox, and decided I would stick with Internet Explorer, and shut my computer off to reboot. It took about 2 hours because it required 28 new Windows 10 updates. I patiently waited. When it was over, everything was fixed, and the computer was unbelievably fast. I would re-install Firefox in a minute if I could be guaranteed that it would work properly, but I think that shipped has sailed, unless as Kevin mentioned they come out with a new version...calmly waiting for it.

Edited by bigvalboy

I haven't encountered the problems described hear but it seems to be a pattern. I've used Firefox as my main browser at home and work for years now. I've tried switching to others, mainly Chrome, but I miss enough features of FF to switch back. I like the history and bookmark function in FF better than Chrome for instance.

I hope they get the browser back on track.

I haven't encountered the problems described hear but it seems to be a pattern. I've used Firefox as my main browser at home and work for years now. I've tried switching to others, mainly Chrome, but I miss enough features of FF to switch back. I like the history and bookmark function in FF better than Chrome for instance.

I hope they get the browser back on track.

Give it time, and have your Task Manager open to nuke it when it gets over 1 GB

My thanks to all of the above posters. I've become more and more disenchanted with Firefox due to the ever increasing freezes. I thought I was losing my mind (more of my mind). I will be anxiously awaiting the new version that Kevin mentioned.

It appears the next version of Firefox is a major rewrite.

That's not always a good thing. o_O

Anyone remember Netscape? During their last major rewrite the kids overhauling the FTP code threw out the whole mess and started from scratch. In the process they threw away all of the custom tweaks inserted over the years to adjust to various FTP servers' peccadilloes. They spent a couple of years trying to get back to where they'd started. By then, IE had won the first round of browser wars.

A posting from the bleepingcomputer.com website:

The process of slowly replacing parts of the Gecko engine started last year, in a situation that Mozilla engineers described as "replacing a jet engine while the plane is still in flight."

Oh dear.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn9R2heFE-5Bhi4Kg5QwlRQ1Yz1Dl6AKqSX9zmSMDk3-nKAlMo

Thanks Sync, good information. I'd still be willing to give FF a try, once they get the new engine up and running and I could be assured the plane wasn't going to crash...;)

If you're only now realizing how bloated Firefox is, you must have a very high tolerance for slow clunky software. I haven't used Firefox in years.

Guess I'm in the minority here, because I run Chrome and Firefox on my work machine, and I've always found Chrome to be the slower of the two. There are a few things I do that I prefer Chrome for, but I spend most of my time on Firefox.

Now that you mention it, Chrome has gotten to be worse than Firefox. It's time for a completely new browser.

I installed it, it runs, maybe you should take the plunge? It would be good to hear from people who had issues on previous versions, such as yourself, @gallahadesquire , @Kevin Slater , @poolboy48220 , @sync ...

I never try anything when it is first introduced. I wait for the posters here to be the ones to test the waters and tell us how cold or hot they are.

I agree...I'm a little gun shy. I loved it, but it kept crashing my system, so I think I'll take a wait-n-see.

I made the leap about ten minutes ago, so far so good. The download and installation was good, smooth and fast. I'm hoping "good" and "fast" will not be either/or in this case. If I hit any snags, I'll report back.

1085386-200.png

I made the leap about ten minutes ago, so far so good. The download and installation was good, smooth and fast. I'm hoping "good" and "fast" will not be either/or in this case. If I hit any snags, I'll report back.

1085386-200.png

http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/thumbs/smileys-thumbs-822134.gif