TV ADS: THE GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY

samhexum

1 hour ago, Boink said:

OK, I just can't take this one anymore.  I can't.

There are  so many things wrong with this ad. 

Let's start with the terrible lyrics. The first line sounds like "I have touchy diabetes" because "type 2 diabetes" doesn't work well with the given rhythm. (Who in real life claims to have "TYPEtwo" diabetes? Usually the "two" is singled out and given a bit of emphasis.) The end of the song claims that the pill "has a sto-RY to tell." A sto-RY? What's that? 

Then - should we even bother to ask what the changing of the dress is all about, especially when the 2nd one looks so ridiculous? Also, SHE CAN'T DANCE!! I mean, my god, she REALLY CAN'T DANCE!!!

Who, and more importantly, WHY, is that mailman? 

Also, just the whole "meta" concept of this thing is inane. We're essentially watching a commercial about the filming of a Jardiance commercial. But why? And what does Jardiance have to do with any of this? Except that supposedly the Woman With Two Dresses seems to have "touchy [sic] diabetes"? (But as she's really only the actress in the ad being filmed, she probably doesn't.)

Ugh. 

Edited by bostonman

It almost sounds like she's bragging about having diabetes, because now she gets to use JARDIANCE!, as she proclaims, extending her arms as if to praise the heavens. So now she (and her background singers) can enjoy being overweight.

And then there's that yellow dress !!!!

I’m captivated by that damn Jardiance commercial. I can’t look away. It’s like a Disney production. What bugs me is that Diabetes is a serious condition and the commercial doesn’t treat it that way. Ugh. This country. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/15/2021 at 7:40 AM, samhexum said:

Jamie from Progressive was an accident victim on STATION 19 last night.  He was moonlighting as a delivery driver.  You'd think Flo would've made an appearance at the accident site, but she was nowhere to be found.

Here's How Much TV Commercial Stars Make

Flo had a recurring part as a friend of the wife on American Housewife for the last several years.  

On 5/25/2023 at 10:36 PM, Rockey said:

I’m captivated by that damn Jardiance commercial. I can’t look away. It’s like a Disney production. What bugs me is that Diabetes is a serious condition and the commercial doesn’t treat it that way. Ugh. This country. 

Particularly annoying about that commercial is the opening line to the lyrics, "I have a little diabetes".   Easily could have been "I have Type 2 diabetes" and been more accurate and not change the pacing.  

There is a commercial in which Vivica A Fox is in a low cut dress and it is  shot from the waist up and is just her standing there speaking.  If you watch her cleavage, which you are almost compelled to do, it appears that the breasts are speaking.  While I know the breast are on display on purpose, I am wondering if the ventriloquist breasts are planned or just a very strange accident.  It becomes more obvious as the commercial goes on. 

Edited by purplekow

On 5/21/2023 at 11:10 PM, Boink said:

It almost sounds like she's bragging about having diabetes, because now she gets to use JARDIANCE!, as she proclaims, extending her arms as if to praise the heavens. So now she (and her background singers) can enjoy being overweight.

And then there's that yellow dress !!!!

On 5/25/2023 at 10:36 PM, Rockey said:

To me it comes off as a glitzy diversion from the voiceover and print warnings of the numerous, possibly fatal side effects.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, BuffaloKyle said:

I just saw this commercial today. I'd gladly scrub his body for him all over. 🚿

Hands off!! I saw him first.  Apparently he is a TikTok star, or influencer, or whatever they're called these days.  His name is Daniel Victor.

He is in a dead heat tie with my other crush...

On 6/4/2023 at 6:40 PM, purplekow said:

Particularly annoying about that commercial is the opening line to the lyrics, "I have a little diabetes".   Easily could have been "I have Type 2 diabetes" and been more accurate and not change the pacing.  

Actually she does sing "I have type 2 diabetes" in the opening line. (But I can hear why you think otherwise.)  Either way, it lends to the cheery mood of the commercial set in a land where diabetes is shown as just a pesky inconvenience.

On 6/17/2023 at 2:16 PM, samhexum said:

Every time a drug commercial comes on where somebody says "I have..."  I reply "Good for you!" since they seem so proud of whatever's wrong with them.

Reminds me of one ongoing tagline for one of the diseases - "I have diabetes (or whatever disease), but diabetes doesn't have me!"