Diminutives & Nicknames

Epigonos
This topic is 1655 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really consider it a nickname as much as a term of endearment, but I love love love being called babe. I think it's the perfect level of endearment. Not too sickly-sweet nor too overtly sexual.

Edit: And I'll shamelessly tailgate on your thread to say while getting my name wrong, or whatever, doesn't phase me, every single working guy I've dealt with who uses a nickname with me has used the same one "babe", which I hate hate hate but have decided to not say anything about as I don't want to make the good guys I want to repeat with paranoid about the things they say to me.

I hate 'babe' too. Maybe if I ever had a boyfriend and he wanted to call me that, I'd get used to it. Otherwise yech!!

Bostonman I found your comment about a teacher of yours interesting. As years pass some teachers loosen up while others tighten up. I happened to be in the loosen up group. As age made it evident that I wasn't a peer of my students I told them that they could call me Mr. + last name, just last name or first name. They could NOT, however, call me hey you, mack, dude, buddy, or coach. Over the years only one of two were able to comfortably use my first name, the vast majority came to prefer my last name without the Mr. Some of my colleagues had a shit fit that I allowed students to call me by my first name but if hey made of point of criticizing me face to face on this I simply told them to mind their own fucking business.

One of the class clowns in my high school used to call our biology teacher 'coach'. Now most of the coaches in my school taught history. Chris knew Mr. Walker wasn't a coach-it was obvious. Mr. Walker finally told Chris-and I can still hear him say it, "Chris, I'm not a coach. I have no desire to be a coach."

I have no problem telling people what I prefer to be called, but it varies based on the person. My name really is Mike. Even though I use Mikey in my forum handle, I only let my closest friends call me that. I am not fond of Michael, and I never introduce myself with it, but I will tolerate it from women and gay men. (Gay men seem to have a penchant for using full names.)

I quite like the names Mike or Michael. Michael is one of the only names I know how to translate from Hebrew. It means 'Who is like G-d'. I'm not very religious. But I've always found that cool.

I'm just grateful my name is not Richard. I would definitely insist on being called Rich. I don't know how anyone tolerates being called Dick!

That's my brother's name. He's pretty much always been Richard. I think I called him Kickie when I was a toddler trying to say Ricky. My grandmother would sometimes call him 'Ricky'.

Ha, it could be worse, if they actually called called me "Daddy". :rolleyes:

I have some occasional FB who call me that. I don't like it. But it's what they seem to be looking for. It's gotten so sometimes I even use it in the middle of 'play'.

I have a 30 something cousin called Alex, The name on her birth certificate is Alexandra.

~Boomer~

It would be worse if Alexandra were the name on his birth certificate. :p

Gman

I have a normal name, but unfortunately, I have 2 middle names, and one of these 2 is double barrelled. That was fine in Europe and in the US because there I just used first+last names everywhere, simple. But when I moved to Hong Kong, I realised that every single form I filled in had to, by law, have the same full name as my what is on my passport. And when you are just emigrating in a country, there are lots of forms to fill for about 2 months before you arrive, and at least 4 months after you have arrived. So much time wasted in total, it adds up.

I was not happy with my parents' choice at that time.

I have a normal name, but unfortunately, I have 2 middle names, and one of these 2 is double barrelled. That was fine in Europe and in the US because there I just used first+last names everywhere, simple. But when I moved to Hong Kong, I realised that every single form I filled in had to, by law, have the same full name as my what is on my passport. And when you are just emigrating in a country, there are lots of forms to fill for about 2 months before you arrive, and at least 4 months after you have arrived. So much time wasted in total, it adds up.

I was not happy with my parents' choice at that time.

That's an interesting point. My first and last name have 11 letters. In school when we were taking standardized tests, you (and I'm sure many of you remember this) filled in your name in boxes at the top of the page, and then you darkened circles containing the corresponding letter of the alphabet underneath the box. It always seemed to take me longer than everyone I was sitting around to finish. What's the average length of people's first and last names on here? Was 11 letters a lot to blacken, or was I just incredibly slow.

http://Dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3orvykpcnctnpta/File%20Aug%2006%2C%209%2009%2056%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

I was named after my grandfather. My father had a nickname based on our last name that he enjoyed and as his name was Joe, he found it easier to use that name. He chose to name me after his father but to call me by the last name nickname. Both my first name and my nickname have shorter versions. In addition, as a physician, many people call me Doc. So I have at least 5 names to which I will respond. The nickname is used only by my older relatives, my shortened nickname is used by other family and close friends (in fact I have several cousins who only learned of my given name after we were adults). My full given name is used by people I met in college or medical school and a few of those chose to use the diminutive. My professional nickname is usually used by patients or people who have met me through patients. That last group usually opt for Doc even if I introduce myself by any one of the four other names. When I introduce myself I usually use my given name and then say you may call me the dimunitive or the nickname adult version. The -y version of my nickname is basically for the few older relatives who are around and the few people who have known me since I was a toddler.

I should mention that when I first attended school, on the first day, when the roll was called, I did not respond to my given name as no one had ever used that name with me prior to that. It was a startling revelation.

I have had contact with many people who have unusual spelling to their common name and they wind up being Michele with only one L; Cyndi with a y in the middle and an i at the end; Willam without the second I. I would urge parents to consider that unusual spellings may make your child stand out, but it is not the kind of attention that one cares to engender. There is an ongoing joke on Game of Thrones in regard to a character who Jamie Lannister continually calls Rickon and his foil is repeated correcting him and saying it is Dickon. Dickon is Samwell Tarley's older and much hotter brother and quite frankly I would love to see his Dick on.

I have a one syllable name, which I've disclosed before to be Keith. My father, had no way to shorten it, so the familiar term of endearment was "Keithey-Weethy". (ugh).

My mother was named Theodora Roberta. (I think it's pretty clear my grandparents were hoping for a son as their eldest child). When she was in school the other kids used to sing the Torreador song from Carmen to her with changed lyrics:

O Theodora, Don't spit on the Floor-a , use the cuspidora, that's what is for-a.

As soon as she was legally old enough to do so, she dropped her first name, and went by Bobbie to her friends.

But Roberta is what was on her driver's license.

Not my name, but as an example, my parents named me Charlemagne. When I was a child, my parents, relatives & friends always called me Charley. When I got into junior high, all my teachers shortened my name to Chuck. I really disliked it at first but within a year, I was owning it and even introducing myself to new acquaintances as Chuck, and thus only my aunts and uncles continue to call me Charley, whereas all my cousins who were around my same age and my parents got with the program and began calling me Chuck.

Now everyone has called me Chuck for many, many years, even my niece and three nephews call me Chuck instead of Uncle Chuck! The only exception is one close friend to whom I was originally introduced by a mutual friend by my full name of Charlemagne. Because we became good friends very quickly, this new friend (we've now been friends for over 35 years!:eek:) has continued to always called me Charlemagne, which with him has always felt like a "pet name" intimacy only we share, even though all my legal documents show Charlemagne, too.

TruHart1 :cool:

That's an interesting point. My first and last name have 11 letters. In school when we were taking standardized tests, you (and I'm sure many of you remember this) filled in your name in boxes at the top of the page, and then you darkened circles containing the corresponding letter of the alphabet underneath the box. It always seemed to take me longer than everyone I was sitting around to finish. What's the average length of people's first and last names on here? Was 11 letters a lot to blacken, or was I just incredibly slow.

http://Dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/3orvykpcnctnpta/File%20Aug%2006%2C%209%2009%2056%20PM.jpeg?dl=0

Gman

My first and last name total 10 letters, and I was always holding up the class because I hadn't finished filling in the circles(but we still had to fill in the "blanks" as well so I didn't have any fewer dots to fill in. I think it's a manual dexterity thing. I recently discovered I have spinal stenosis in my neck, to which I attribute my lifelong slow writing and generally crappy coordination...I always had trouble taking notes fast enough in school, etc.

My parents had an odd idea-- my two older brothers and I have always been called by our middle names. I like my first name, but I never use it. I get junk mail addressed to that name, though.

That seems to be a big thing in the South. Nearly all the guys I've known who went by their middle name were from the South. Occasionally it was done to distinguish them from the father they were named after.

I know my sister was irritated at her husband for wanting to name their son after him. She told him "Well you better decide what you want to be called, because I'm not going to name the kid John and then not call him John, and I'm not going to be yelling 'John' across the house and then having you both say 'which one?'"

8204508418_8140f5d199_n.jpgTom Hopper portrays Dickon Tarly.

http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2016/03/tom-hooper-mens-health-shirtless.jpgAnd here he is without his shirt Just for informational purposes, he is 6'5.

black-sails-104-48.jpg

I'm sorry to veer off topic (considering it's never done:D), but in looking up info on Dickon/Tom Hopper, I found out he was the second actor to play Dickon. The 1st was incredibly hunky too, and if Tom wasn't so uber-hunky himself, this first guy, Freddie Stroma, would have outclassed the average successor. Oh and Freddie also played Cormac McLaggan in tbe Harry Potter films. While many of the guys in them have become hunky, he was hunky to start with. And he has brains. He has a degree (1st class second if anyone is familiar with the British system) in Neurosciences.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22001-1371152843-21.gif

Here's an article with many more pictures and similar gifs of Freddie in case anyone might be slightly interested.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mattbellassai/why-freddie-stroma-is-officially-the-hottest-former-quidditc?utm_term=.bw5NXMapMy#.whOq0XZQXV

Gman

How about "papi" - I happen to love it! But not "daddy"!

I dislike that more than 'daddy'. In the movies it's usually either some twinky, effeminate guy saying it or a woman. I'm not attracted to either .

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

How about "papi" - I happen to love it! But not "daddy"!

I'm not a fan of being called "Daddy" either. I don't love "Papi" but I'll deal, lol.

I often wind up dealing with gypsy cabs to get home from the supermarket, etc - most of them are Latino and they tend to try to get my attention with "hey, papi" - so by now I'm used to it lol.

For a short time in elementary school, I remember some of the kids calling me "Fin" - not so much related to anything having to do with fish, lol, more that it's tangentially sort of part of my first name, sorta. Though I have no idea how that started. But it was meant as a cool thing, not a teasing thing. Anyway, what I really remember is Spanish class, where the teacher would show a short film or filmstrip (remember filmstrips, lol?) and invariably it would say "Fin" at the end. And the class would start shouting my nickname. Very silly.

black-sails-104-48.jpg

anigif_enhanced-buzz-22001-1371152843-21.gif

Gman

It's really not fair how incredibly good looking both these guys are and that #1 both these guys are British and #2 that Tom Hopper is married meaning I don't have a very good chance of dating either one of them.

However I just heard today that Chris Pratt was breaking up with his wife Anna Faris. He's single now, and we both live on the West Coast. I'm thinking I have a shot if I can come up with a cute diminutive of my 1st name. (Whoosh-there I managed to make the post relevant to the thread:p)

a3f92e8a974c25c7_chrisprattshirtlesssmall.xxxlarge.jpg

Gman

PS-Do y'all think he stuffs his shorts with tissues or socks prior to taking selfies?

Hmmm... I think "Rob" and "Robbie" are both sexy and cute. I hate my name... since I'm a little effeminate I always pronounce it with a bit of a lisp. How embarrassing to tell someone my name is Jason, then he responds, "Nathan?" o_O

Totally non effeminate people lisp. I mean look at me-well maybe that's not a great example. But I was told back in high school drama my 's-es' were slightly sibilant.

Gman

Totally non effeminate people lisp. I mean look at me-well maybe that's not a great example. But I was told back in high school drama my 's-es' were slightly sibilant.

Gman

The sibilant "S".. always reminds me of 'Angels in America', right? Never Louis, but Lou. :) I get it, though... I went by Jay all through college. Nobody ever knew my name was Jason. lol