Little Irritants of Life

not2rowdy
This topic is 2700 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Great - where is your manager - what are people thinking, that is so rude and downright stupid of a clerk/associate to do that. OR, an associate processing

a customs items at the checkout - the customer's phone rings, she (most of the time it is a female) and she answers it, meanwhile the associate has finished

processing the customer's purchases and is waiting for the customer's credit card or whatever is necessary to complete the sale - now that is damn near the

ultimate in rudeness and downright stupidity. Have you a suggestion for a "good" response to this situation? A good zinger, please.

I'm tempted by a Middle School putdown- "Step aside drip, and make way for an ocean!", but that's pretty juvenile. How about, "If the fate of the world could wait a few seconds, perhaps you could finish your transaction!"

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm tempted by a Middle School putdown- "Step aside drip, and make way for an ocean!", but that's pretty juvenile. How about, "If the fate of the world could wait a few seconds, perhaps you could finish your transaction!"

that's great! and don't forget to smile and look them right in the eye as you deliver that suggestion.

I think that's too mild, they are not that intelligent. What is needed is a good zinger with a sharp point that goes right in and then twists around a bit to

really make an impression into what is probably a very dense mass of brain matter.

Yeah, that "no problem" response is annoying. I didn't ask if they were having a problem.

I usually reply: "Oh good, it wasn't my intent to cause you a problem" and look them in the eye to determine if there's an inkling of understanding

If ever I'm annoyed enough I go on to educate them with the proper response

You are in a store being helped by the clerk. His/her cell phone rings and he/she interrupts your sale to answer it. What do you do? I look them in the eyes and say, "Where is your manager?"

A variant to this situation is when the clerk gets interrupted by one of his colleagues who is helping another customer and has a complicated question that he/she feels obliged to solve immediately. "Your"clerk stops helping you and goes to the colleague's rescue.....Can't the colleague and his/her customer wait?

Back to the socks, please: I will often wear mismatched socks if they are bright colors or patterns, especially horizontal stripes. It is so obvious they are mismatched that some people think that is the way the pair comes! I only get positive remarks and laugh all day long. And I don't have to bother looking into the sock depository to which they are shunted by my dryer.

And I HATE the word, "like"!

These drive me nuts:

1) "Those ones..."

2) Misuse of the word penultimate

3) People who respond to "thank you" with "no problem"

4) "at my work"

Perhaps your complaint about people misusing the word penultimate should have been the next to last item on your list.

Merci. De rien.

Indeed!

Today, instead of talking or texting while driving, I thought about our exchange quoted above. If you intentionally positioned your complaint about the misuse of penultimate in the second position, I tip my hat to your clever use of irony as an educational tool, and admit I can be dense at times. If the positioning was not intentional, never mind. ;)

A variant to this situation is when the clerk gets interrupted by one of his colleagues who is helping another customer and has a complicated question that he/she feels obliged to solve immediately. "Your"clerk stops helping you and goes to the colleague's rescue.....Can't the colleague and his/her customer wait?

Yes, I think the colleague and clerk should wait until the sale is completed, then offer assistance. That way only one customer has been delayed rather

than two. Other opinions?

Or they put the blinker on after they're halfway into their turn. Thanks a lot for letting me know!

I find most drivers seem to think the indicator should be used as they manoeuvre, when the whole f*cking point is to warn other drivers. The rule of thumb I was taught for my advanced licence is at least one indicator flash per 10mph before moving out. That can be a little excessive, and I tend to rely on the soft touch triple blink that most car manufacturers build in, but if traffic is dense I will often revert back to that rule of thumb.

Or they put the blinker on after they're halfway into their turn. Thanks a lot for letting me know!

Right on - you got this right. What the hell is wrong with some people, don't they know there are turning lights on the car.

Some people are just lazy and irresponsible.

This whole thread points up one thing......There are a lot of people that give no thought whatsoever to anyone but themselves. The "I" generation has taken over the playing field. Sad!

Oh, I don't know. Some of the most frustrating drivers on the road are not of my generation. It was the same when I worked in retail. The most obstinate, entitled customers seemed to be white men over the age of 45 (though their female counterparts ran them a close second).

Archived