Little Irritants of Life

not2rowdy
This topic is 2717 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of my language peeves came from broadcasters this year.

While watching live news coverage of one of LA's infamous police chases, the anchor actually said "We are efforting to get more information". Efforting? Trying wasn't clear enough, I guess. Now in his defense, he was covering live news and probably had tons of noise in his earpiece and lots of activity on-set distracting him. But some of his colleagues picked it up and used it in later broadcasts. Ugh.

Another came from an LADWP (the water company) spokesman after a water main break flooded the basketball court at UCLA: "We are attempting to de-water the court." Umm ... how about drain?

Motherfuckerness has no generation. It is just as stupidity. No limits.

EDIT:

Motherfuckership?

Motherfuckerhood?

Motherfuckery?

Which one do you prefer? I like them all.

I like all three but I think Motherfuckery would be easier to fit in a sentence. The originator of these must be quite a unique "thinker".

Great - where is your manager - what are people thinking, that is so rude and downright stupid of a clerk/associate to do that. OR, an associate processing

a customs items at the checkout - the customer's phone rings, she (most of the time it is a female) and she answers it, meanwhile the associate has finished

processing the customer's purchases and is waiting for the customer's credit card or whatever is necessary to complete the sale - now that is damn near the

ultimate in rudeness and downright stupidity. Have you a suggestion for a "good" response to this situation? A good zinger, please.

Tap the person on the shoulder and say "If that's for me, please tell him I'm busy and ask him to call back in 5 minutes. Thanks."

Wow, I do that. I noticed most people around me do it, and as an English learner trying to fit, I adopted the use. I remember how confused I was the first time I noticed it, when studying English back in Argentina I was never exposed to it.

It's an Americanism. It actually shouldn't bother anyone.

But a co-worker was once royally confused when a Canadian spelled a word and said "zed". I actually had to explain to this 20-something 'murrican that that's how they say "z" in Canada.

People who recite numbers but say: "oh instead of zero"

It's quite normal here, although the emergency services are pushing us to say zero (the emergency number here is 000) so people aren't tempted to use the 'oh' (the 6 button) on mobile phones.

But a co-worker was once royally confused when a Canadian spelled a word and said "zed". I actually had to explain to this 20-something 'murrican that that's how they say "z" in Canada.

Not just in Canada. Cute little marketing gimmicks like E-Z-Care tend not to work so well in places where the last letter of the alphabet is zed.

Archived