Little Irritants of Life

not2rowdy
This topic is 2700 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The word "like" used in anything other than a simile. The other day Trump said, "I'm, like, a smart person." Does that mean that he's similar to a smart person?

Two young women were standing in front of me on the subway the other day and I listened in:

"I'm like really tired because I like had to work overtime and it was like really long."

"I'm so sorry. That's like so unfair."

"I know. Right? Like it's like they ask you to do stuff and you're like I don't want to but they're like you have to and I'm like but I want to go home and they're like you'll make extra money but I'm like I don't care. And it's like who's like in charge?"

Sigh.

Dare I "like" this post? ;)

Just encountered another. I just came from the famous super store. I should have known better to go at this time of day, plus holidays. Anyhoo...my irritant is: In the span of about a half an hour, three individuals came around corners, on their cells, and almost collided with me. Now really, the entire cell thing has become a 911. I know they have been checking on items with others, but really. Get your lists in order! Maybe I should wait till one of them knocks me to the ground, and breaks an

old man's hip!!! Could go on daytime court and make my millions with Judge Judy !!!

I must confess that I go out of my way to require people walking towards me to stop short or run into me. I am not a small guy so they have more to lose if there is an impact. I just look away from them and make them be the one that has to move out of the way. I do confess to sometimes altering my course to interfere with theirs. Rudeness is my 'bête noir' and cel phone texters now take their place with bicycle riders and mothers with baby carriages as the absolute epitome of rudeness.

I must confess that I go out of my way to require people walking towards me to stop short or run into me. I am not a small guy so they have more to lose if there is an impact. I just look away from them and make them be the one that has to move out of the way. I do confess to sometimes altering my course to interfere with theirs. Rudeness is my 'bête noir' and cel phone texters now take their place with bicycle riders and mothers with baby carriages as the absolute epitome of rudeness.

Yes, I've also avoided getting out of the way some phone users who are heading directly for me but not paying any attention to where they are headed.

They do get a bit pissed when they realize that they have to alter their walking. If they look at me I return their look, smile and say "HI" - that really gets

them.

These drive me nuts:

1) "Those ones..."

2) Misuse of the word penultimate

3) People who respond to "thank you" with "no problem"

4) "at my work"

Perhaps your complaint about people misusing the word penultimate should have been the next to last item on your list.

Merci. De rien.

These drive me nuts:

1) "Those ones..."

2) Misuse of the word penultimate

3) People who respond to "thank you" with "no problem"

4) "at my work"

A typical response in Australia is 'no worries' which I suspect would be equally annoying to you. Alternatively, we say 'no wuckers'.

You're welcome, de rien.

You are in a store being helped by the clerk. His/her cell phone rings and he/she interrupts your sale to answer it. What do you do? I look them in the eyes and say, "Where is your manager?"

You don't judge, it may be a call from their child care centre, you wait and see what happens.

You don't judge, it may be a call from their child care centre, you wait and see what happens.

I hear you. but it would be appropriate to excuse yourself with a short explanation if it's an emergency. With caller ID he or she would know it was the child care center, and one can quickly tell if it is or not. Its partly the assumption that he or she has the God given right to take the call. I'm out of patience with the whole "I have to be instantly in touch with my friends/kids/love interest/ fav celebrities/ world events 24/7" attitude. Where does it end? Yes, it's a dangerous world, but hasn't it always been? I don't know how employers put up with it. I'm a teacher and my phone stays OFF while I work. If there is a real emergency, the school office will let me know.

I hear you. but it would be appropriate to excuse yourself with a short explanation if it's an emergency.

I agree Glennn, they should be able to work out quickly whether it is important and that they need to interrupt their work. I know I've taken a call when I shouldn't have. We all learn as we go along.

You are in a store being helped by the clerk. His/her cell phone rings and he/she interrupts your sale to answer it. What do you do? I look them in the eyes and say, "Where is your manager?"

Great - where is your manager - what are people thinking, that is so rude and downright stupid of a clerk/associate to do that. OR, an associate processing

a customs items at the checkout - the customer's phone rings, she (most of the time it is a female) and she answers it, meanwhile the associate has finished

processing the customer's purchases and is waiting for the customer's credit card or whatever is necessary to complete the sale - now that is damn near the

ultimate in rudeness and downright stupidity. Have you a suggestion for a "good" response to this situation? A good zinger, please.

I hear you. but it would be appropriate to excuse yourself with a short explanation if it's an emergency. With caller ID he or she would know it was the child care center, and one can quickly tell if it is or not. Its partly the assumption that he or she has the God given right to take the call. I'm out of patience with the whole "I have to be instantly in touch with my friends/kids/love interest/ fav celebrities/ world events 24/7" attitude. Where does it end? Yes, it's a dangerous world, but hasn't it always been? I don't know how employers put up with it. I'm a teacher and my phone stays OFF while I work. If there is a real emergency, the school office will let me know.

You should get some kind of award for having your phone OFF during work time. I'm sure there are few people who do that. This addiction to the phone is

absurd. I would bet that at least 95% of the those phone calls are just silly and unimportant. Hang in there and keep your phone off. Maybe you should get

on the soapbox and preach but you would most likely be drowned out by phones ringing. Have a good day!

Archived