Those of You With Dogs...

Funguy
This topic is 1643 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading this, and made emotionally vulnerable by a Friday evening manhattan (oh, okay, two ... do you capitalize it if it's a cocktail?), I am sorry for the friend you've lost, @Funguy ... and thinking about all my gone boys and girls, some of them buried in the yard (with little monuments). They are family, and will be forever, as well-loved as the human family (and better than some).

Reading this, and made emotionally vulnerable by a Friday evening manhattan (oh, okay, two ... do you capitalize it if it's a cocktail?), I am sorry for the friend you've lost, @Funguy ... and thinking about all my gone boys and girls, some of them buried in the yard (with little monuments). They are family, and will be forever, as well-loved as the human family (and better than some).

Thanks

Anyone owns/owned a Newfoundland? It's ridiculous how cute they are.

http://i.imgur.com/dmMHDY4.jpg

I had a client who had two Newfies. They were enormous and very, very, sweet and gentle dogs. They would greet me with kisses, accompanied by much too much drool, pinning me to a chair each time I arrived. My client had two young daughters, and Dogs were very protective of them. He said if someone new came in the Dogs would position themselves between the girls and the new arrivals.

The Newfies were females and named Fifi and Tinkerbell.

• 1 month later...
I just came across a study called the "Dog Aging Project"which is using a drug called Rapamycin (Sirolimus) to not only prolong our friends' lives but improve the quality of that life.

And our friends prolong our lives!

(CNN)The benefits that come with owning a dog are clear-- physical activity, support, companionship -- but owning a dog could literally be saving your life

Dog ownership is associated with a reduced risk for cardiovascular disease and death, finds a new Swedish study published Friday in the journal Scientific Reports.

For people living alone, owning a dog can decrease their risk of death by 33% and their risk of cardiovascular related death by 36%, when compared to single individuals without a pet, according to the study. Chances of a heart attack were also found to be 11% lower.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Therapy Dogs Work Miracles. But Do They Like Their Jobs?

A new study examining the stress levels of working canines provides some reassuring results.

By Linda Lombardi

PUBLISHED MAY 1, 2018

If you're a dog lover, just being with your pet feels good.

So it's no surprise that therapy dogs are healing companions for people with health conditions such as cancer, post-traumatic stress syndrome, and dementia.

Research confirms that the benefits of pet therapy are real—but what do dogs think about helping humans? Science has considered this question too, and the results are reassuring. (Read why pets are so good for us.)

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/04/animals-dogs-therapy-health-pets/

• 2 weeks later...

This is important.

It’s possibly the most important story of the year, nay, the decade.

A doggo named Negro has just learnt the value of currency.

You see, Negro lives at the Diversified Technical Education Institute of Monterrey Casanare in Colombia.

He was adopted by the staff there and he spends his days freely roaming around the campus and chatin’ to the students.

And possibly taking a few classes.

can-dogs-learn-human-behaviour-2.jpg

"I do a shop." Image: Facebook.

The students would sometimes buy Negro cookies at the local store because he's a very, very good boy.

After watching the students exchange money for said cookies, Negro decided to give it a go himself.

He grabbed a leaf off the ground and approached the counter of the campus store.

"I do a buy. I have many leaves," he probably told the store attendant during the exchange. "Leaves are no object, I very rich."

can-dogs-learn-human-behaviour-3.jpg

"One cookies pls." Image: Facebook.

“One day, spontaneously, he appeared with a leaf in his mouth, wagging his tail and letting it be known that he wanted a cookie,” teacher Angela Garcia Bernal told The Dodo.

Negro's nifty lil' plan worked. He successfully exchanged his, erm, evergreen currency for a cookie.

“He comes for cookies every day,” Gladys Barreto, the store attendant, told The Dodo. “He always pays with a leaf. It is his daily purchase.”

Because Negro's currency literally grows on trees, the store had to limit his shopping sprees to a couple of cookies a day.

“When you first see it, you almost want to cry. He’s found a way to make himself understood. He’s very intelligent,” Bernal told the publication.

Yes, well.

I would like to cry and pat all the dogs and eat all the cookies pls.

https://www.mamamia.com.au/can-dogs-learn-human-behaviour/

I wouldnt want to play god with my puppers. When it's their time, it's their time. I have an 11 year old rat terrier, 4 year old Frenchie, and a 7 month old Doberman.

In other words, you wouldn't put any of your pups 'to sleep'?

• 2 months later...

Dogs will make a speedy effort to comfort their owners if they think they are upset, a study has shown for the first time.

Although anecdotally, dog owners claim that their pets are in tune with their emotions and will offer support in times of crisis, it has never been scientifically tested before.

In a new study, scientists from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, US, took 34 dogs and positioned them behind a door which was closed with magnets, with their owners on the other side.

While sitting behind the door, the owners were asked to either hum "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or pretend to cry.

They found that many of the dogs nosed their way through the door but did it three times more quickly when they thought their owners were upset and needed comforting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/07/24/dogs-go-way-help-upset-owners-study-shows/

I understand completely. But, in my guy's case, he has absolutely nothing wrong with him except for age. He still tries to get on the bed/couch, wags his tail, tries to jump for joy! For him i would do it.

I had a cat who lived to age 20. When she was 17 or 18, I asked the vet how we would decide when to put her down. In the next sentence, I answered my own question. I told him, "Our criterion will be 'Is she happy?' I'll give her pills, shots, whatever it takes, as long as she's happy.'"

Dogs will make a speedy effort to comfort their owners if they think they are upset, a study has shown for the first time.

Although anecdotally, dog owners claim that their pets are in tune with their emotions and will offer support in times of crisis, it has never been scientifically tested before.

In a new study, scientists from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, US, took 34 dogs and positioned them behind a door which was closed with magnets, with their owners on the other side.

While sitting behind the door, the owners were asked to either hum "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" or pretend to cry.

They found that many of the dogs nosed their way through the door but did it three times more quickly when they thought their owners were upset and needed comforting.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2018/07/24/dogs-go-way-help-upset-owners-study-shows/

Why am I not surprised. I still think of all of my dogs - actually with me or living in my heart - every day! They were all comfort, love and unending joy!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A Texas family says their beloved pooch saved their lives when he attacked a gunman who opened fire at a 13-year-old’s birthday party.

Laura Martinez was hosting the bash for her youngest daughter at her Houston home on March 9 when a teen boy who was known to the family burst in with a gun. The shooter fired eight shots, hitting Martinez in the leg, her son, Taylor Hollier, in the foot, and her stepdaughter, Valerie Pace, near her spine and in her thigh, according to a GoFundMe.

The family dog, a Great Pyrenees named Zero, was shot three times after he attacked the gunman — once after he bit the shooter in the arm, and twice after Zero knocked him to the ground, the family said. Zero died later from his wounds.

The family believes Zero saved their lives by forcing the shooter’s arm lower as he fired.

“He jumped up to protect us and never showed any fear, even when he was struck,” Pace told ABC 13.

“I’m gonna miss him a lot,” Martinez added.

Harris County police identified the alleged shooter as Javian Castenada. The family said Castenada broke into their home the night before the party and stole some things.

As of late last week, police were still on the hunt for Castenada, who they said was “armed and dangerous.” He is wanted on three counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

zero-dog-shooting-feature.jpg

Not necessarily, but the one I remember reading about keeps vigil with people who are about to die. The nursing home trusts her enough that if the cat cuddles up with a patient, they call the family to suggest they visit.

Not necessarily, but the one I remember reading about keeps vigil with people who are about to die. The nursing home trusts her enough that if the cat cuddles up with a patient, they call the family to suggest they visit.

If that is generally known at the home, it must jump-start the residents when they see the cat approaching them. :oops: