Those of You With Dogs...

Funguy
This topic is 1644 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just came across a study called the "Dog Aging Project"which is using a drug called Rapamycin (Sirolimus) to not only prolong our friends' lives but improve the quality of that life.

It is a drug normally used in people as an immunosuppressive medication after kidney transplants. Some are also touting it's use in anti-aging with humans.

I have a call into my vet but, since it's the holidays, I don't expect a rapid response. In pouring through the articles I came up with a dosage of 0.1 mg per Kg of weight and given 3 times a week BUT nowhere could i find whether that was 0.1 mg/kg 3 times per week or DIVIDED into three times per week. The articles also mentioned using as small a dose as necessary. Minimal side effects.

As a physician I decided to call in a Rx and use it for my dog at 0.1 mg/kg DIVIDED three times a week. i can always up it if my vet comes up with information.

The group doing the study is going to have another study coming up but dogs must be "middle age" and over 40 pounds. Unfortunately, my guy is already a senior and has slipped under 40 lbs. (in his youth he was closer to 60 lbs.). But, he has nothing wrong with him other than old age (16 years) so I'm willing to give it a try.

It would also be a bit odd to be getting it for myself so I used his name and Goodrx.com - approximately $40 per month at the lowest dose.

Anybody with more info . . .?

Edited by Funguy

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I an awful person for thinking that it strikes me as odd to mess around with the natural lifespan of a pet?

I'm all for giving my pets the very best of care, nutrition, and quality of life,

but using a drug to prolong life on a living organism with no free will seems to be more about me than the pet itself.

[uSER=9945]@funguy[/uSER], I'm struggling with this. I'm not judging you, I'm simply wanting to learn from you.

How did you work through the ethical side of it?

Am I an awful person for thinking that it strikes me as odd to mess around with the natural lifespan of a pet?

I'm all for giving my pets the very best of care, nutrition, and quality of life,

but using a drug to prolong life on a living organism with no free will seems to be more about me than the pet itself.

[uSER=9945]@funguy[/uSER], I'm struggling with this. I'm not judging you, I'm simply wanting to learn from you.

I visited an animal rescue six months with the idea of adopting a cat. Of course, there were many cats, all in very small cages of their own. A friend suggested a cat that looks like my cat who had recently died.

I liked an adult cat who was labeled "shy." She was not shy with me at the shelter. I am so glad I gave her a home. She always wants to be close to me (in the same room).

If lives of pets are extended by a drug, it may mean homeless dogs have even less change of adoption.

• 9 months later...

We have been remiss here today people. It is National Dog Day!

1. “Whoever said you can’t buy happiness forgot little puppies.” — Gene Hill

2. “Buy a pup and your money will buy love unflinching.” — Rudyard Kipling

3. “If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and man.” ― Mark Twain

4. “A hound will die for you, but never lie to you.” ― George R.R. Martin

5. “Happiness is a warm puppy.” ― Charles M. Schulz

6. “When an 85-pound mammal licks your tears away, then tries to sit on your lap, it’s hard to feel sad.” ― Kristan Higgins

42d1bfa01df6b40c8223c654e29804f0990a348110ab19cc6617ce53e64dd69d.jpg

Another way to foster a dog's health is avoid giving them human food, and keep their weight down. A dog should have a waist. That's how my Vet advised me when telling me to cut back on our dog's groceries.

59a1e87e1e00003c00c5f728.jpeg?cache=an2lxpqsyu&ops=crop_0_8_720_439,scalefit_720_noupscale

Resourceful Dog Walks Away With Bag Of Dog Food After Hurricane Harvey

“Must be a Texas dog cause he can survive without help,” one person said.

We do this with hundred of thousands of people on an ongoing daily basis in hospitals, don't we~?

This is a deep topic~

Tyger~

Tygerkink@yahoo.com

971.400.2633 (phone calls must be scheduled in advance thru texting or email. thx)

https://rent.men/AAATygerscentXXX

http://www.daddysreviews.com/venue/usa/oregon/tyger_portland

Another way to foster a dog's health is avoid giving them human food, and keep their weight down. A dog should have a waist. That's how my Vet advised me when telling me to cut back on our dog's groceries.

I'm not so sure about avoiding "people food".

I had a grey wolf named Nanook. He lived to be 22yrs of age. He died a natural, unassisted death of old age and, during his lifetime, never had any health issues other than scuffs and scratches~ He had some arthritis that I tested with one baby aspirin per day~

His teeth were sound and white up until the last year of his life~

I fed him three cooked meals per day of rice and a ground cooked protein, (chicken breast shredded, lean ground beef, turkey breast and/or buffalo, sometimes cooked tuna steaks)... his favorite snacks were Swiss cheese and black licorice~

The only vegetables he ate/liked were forest grass and a certain type of grass that grew in the yard. He was selective for a certain type of grass~

He had a kibble but, it was grain free and

"animal-by-product" free with no ingredients from china~

Daily he had what I called "beef dinner for dogs" and that consisted of a large, meaty "bone in" beef shank with marrow~

The raw meat brings up an enzyme from canines stomachs that keeps their teeth clean and significantly reduces tarter build up~

I never gave him, (or any of my fuzzy buddies), raw or cooked bones or raw meat from chicken, rabbit, pork or fish... Beef and buffalo only~ Skin, meat and marrow... not just a bunch of fat~ He cleaned the bones spotless but, never "chewed" them up~ Same with my other canines~

I've used that regime with all of my fuzzy buds and they all seem to do very well on it with minimal health care issues~ I've never had a buddy die of cancer or diabetes... most of them live into their twenties~ I've had good success~

It's not exactly a "cheap" diet but, neither is health care, dental care or medications... and I value the longevity factor~

Also... daily fresh clean water~

One other side note: while traveling, I would Precook his three daily meals, bag them, flatten the bag and freeze them~ (easy freezer storage and quick to thaw when pressed flat before freezing).

Tyger~

Tygerkink@yahoo.com

971.400.2633 (phone calls must be scheduled in advance thru texting or email. thx)

I'm not so sure about avoiding "people food".

I had a grey wolf named Nanook. He lived to be 22yrs of age. He died a natural, unassisted death of old age and, during his lifetime, never had any health issues other than scuffs and scratches~ He had some arthritis that I tested with one baby aspirin per day~

His teeth were sound and white up until the last year of his life~

I fed him three cooked meals per day of rice and a ground cooked protein, (chicken breast shredded, lean ground beef, turkey breast and/or buffalo, sometimes cooked tuna steaks)... his favorite snacks were Swiss cheese and black licorice~

The only vegetables he ate/liked were forest grass and a certain type of grass that grew in the yard. He was selective for a certain type of grass~

He had a kibble but, it was grain free and

"animal-by-product" free with no ingredients from china~

Daily he had what I called "beef dinner for dogs" and that consisted of a large, meaty "bone in" beef shank with marrow~

The raw meat brings up an enzyme from canines stomachs that keeps their teeth clean and significantly reduces tarter build up~

I never gave him, (or any of my fuzzy buddies), raw or cooked bones or raw meat from chicken, rabbit, pork or fish... Beef and buffalo only~ Skin, meat and marrow... not just a bunch of fat~ He cleaned the bones spotless but, never "chewed" them up~ Same with my other canines~

I've used that regime with all of my fuzzy buds and they all seem to do very well on it with minimal health care issues~ I've never had a buddy die of cancer or diabetes... most of them live into their twenties~ I've had good success~

It's not exactly a "cheap" diet but, neither is health care, dental care or medications... and I value the longevity factor~

Also... daily fresh clean water~

One other side note: while traveling, I would Precook his three daily meals, bag them, flatten the bag and freeze them~ (easy freezer storage and quick to thaw when pressed flat before freezing).

Tyger~

Tygerkink@yahoo.com

I expect my vet had seen a lot so was being cautious. I remember a neighbor that always scraped the table food into the dog dish and one night it turned out terribly.

• 1 month later...

Hero of Mexico Earthquake Loves to Have Her Ears Scratched

Frida, an 8-year-old sniffer dog that rescues survivors, brings Mexico ‘joy and hope’ at a dark time

BN-VI976_0929FR_J_20170929182631.jpg

Mexican Navy sniffer dog Frida has located 12 disaster survivors and identified 53 bodies buried under debris. PHOTO: EL UNIVERSAL/ZUMA PRESS

By

Robbie Whelan / Wall St. Journal

Oct. 2, 2017

MEXICO CITY—The most popular public employee in Mexico is 8 years old, weighs 70 pounds, is covered in yellow fur and likes chasing rubber balls.

Her name is Frida, and she is a Labrador sniffer dog for the Mexican Navy. She became a nationwide celebrity after the 7.1-magnitude earthquake struck Sept. 19, showing up at collapsed buildings to look for survivors.

HC-GV453_Frida_G_20171002024021.jpg

Frida

Dozens of newspaper reporters and TV stations have lined up to “interview” Frida, who hosts news conferences while wearing booties and “doggles.” She pants contentedly, barks and endures petting and ear scratching while cameras and microphones are shoved in front of her snout.

Frida T-shirts and Frida piñatas have popped up for sale, two merchandise-related trademarks were filed in her name, and Facebook users are nudging Mexico’s central bank to replace muralist Diego Rivera with a portrait of Frida in her rescue gear on the 500-peso note. She would be the second Frida on the bill. Painter Frida Kahlo, Mr. Rivera’s wife, is on the back.

“The country is in a moment of fear and uncertainty right now. And Frida represents joy and hope,” says Verónica Granados, a publicist in Mexico City who bought Frida stuffed animals online for her 5-year-old niece and herself.

BN-VI969_0929FR_360V_20170929181510.jpg

Isaac Solis’s design for a 500-peso note featuring Frida. PHOTO: ISAAC SOLIS

Frida’s popularity contrasts sharply with the disappointment and distrust many Mexicans feel about the government’s overall response to the earthquake. It killed at least 361 people, including 220 in Mexico City, where it toppled 38 buildings and seriously damaged about 1,800 others.

President Enrique Peña Nieto’s approval rating fell to 16% in the third quarter, according to a poll released Thursday. Only about 35% of Mexicans polled by the newspaper Reforma said they approve of Mr. Peña Nieto’s or the city government’s response to the earthquake. The highest approval ratings were for citizen-led earthquake rescue efforts and the Navy’s response.

Last week, Mr. Peña Nieto and the governor of Morelos, a hard-hit state, were booed and hissed at an event to highlight government relief efforts, according to YouTube videos of their appearance.

BN-VI974_0929FR_P_20170929182631.jpg

People pose for a picture with Frida in Mexico City. PHOTO: JOSE LUIS GONZALEZ/REUTERS

“Frida’s not a politician,” says Jorge Chabat, a political scientist at Mexico City’s nonpartisan CIDE research center. “She’s a dog, and look, the truth is she’s cute. Just look at those glasses! She doesn’t steal money, she’s not corrupt. What else do you need?”

Frida was born in 2009 at the navy’s canine-unit facility in the southern part of Mexico City. She lives there with about 60 other dogs, most of them Belgian Shepherds or Labradors.

When the last major earthquake hit Mexico in 1985, the Mexican Navy had only one or two dogs, used for narcotics and explosives detection. Since then, the unit has expanded its canine search-and-rescue training.

A yellow Labrador named Frida who works for the Mexican Navy is a national celebrity for her work in the rescue operations following Mexico’s September earthquake. Video: Robbie Whelan/WSJ.

Other celebrity rescue dogs include Eco and Evil, brothers from the same Belgian Shepherd litter, and Titán, a brown Labrador from the fire department in the central city of Silao. Titán happened to be in town for emergency training exercises commemorating the 1985 earthquake, which also occurred on Sept. 19, when last month’s quake struck.

Frida has located 12 survivors of earthquakes and other disasters in Mexico, Haiti and Ecuador. She has identified 53 bodies buried under debris. Frida has a “sixth sense” for finding humans that is unlike any other dog the navy has trained, says Frigate Capt. Israel Monterde, chief of the canine division.

The navy says it hasn’t tallied how many people Frida has found in Mexico City since last month’s earthquake, partly because she has been working with other dogs who find the trace of a scent that Frida is called in to confirm.

When Frida shows up to look for survivors, she is met with cheering and applause from volunteers and onlookers. The Twitter hashtags #fridaparapresidente (“Frida For President”) and #fridarescatista (“Frida the Rescuer”) have been tweeted tens of thousands of times.

BN-VI977_0929FR_P_20170929182631.jpg

A boy walks past a mural of Frida in Juárez, Mexico, last week. PHOTO: HERIKA MARTINEZ/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES

Frida’s talent for sniffing out survivors, goofy goggles and relaxed demeanor have made her the new public face of the Mexican Navy, an institution widely admired in Mexico for capturing drug lords in daring, dangerous missions.

“We walk down the street, and people thank us for our work, because they have seen Frida,” Capt. Monterde says. “It’s a connection between the citizenry and the navy, a coming together, where one feels proud to be a member of the armed forces.”

At a media event for the canine unit’s rescue dogs and trainers, Mexican marines in combat fatigues tickled dog bellies and endured licking attacks by 11 Belgian Shepherd puppies now in training for future missions.

Reporters swarmed Frida when she was brought out from her resting area at the naval complex. After donning her doggles and booties, a trainer threw a rubber toy to demonstrate Frida’s boundless energy. She chased after the toy, tripped over her paw protectors and rolled over onto her back.

BN-VI978_0929FR_P_20170929182631.jpg

Frida wears protective booties and doggles while on search-and-rescue missions. PHOTO: ROBBIE WHELAN/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

“She’s a very noble dog, a very, very calm dog, very sociable,” Emanuel González, one of Frida’s trainers, says to explain her appeal. “She’s almost like a daughter to me. I love her.”

Ernesto Cortés, a translator and musician in Cali, Colombia, decided in the middle of the night to launch a Twitter account called @PerritosRecate (or “Rescue Doggies”) to share photos of Frida and other search-and-rescue dogs and link to fan art and products celebrating them.

Mr. Cortés says the search-and-rescue dogs are a welcome distraction from the earthquake’s horrors, but he worries government officials “will hijack” Frida to improve their own image. “I hope this symbolism is not perverted,” he says.

Based on her age and navy rules, Frida is due to be evaluated at the end of this year to see if her olfactory abilities are still up to snuff and if she can still carry out her rescue duties. If not, she could be forced into retirement.

Arturo Rodriguez, a call-center worker from Mexico City, says Frida deserves a full pension. “At the very least, she ought to be taken care of in comfort for the rest of her life,” says Mr. Rodriguez.

I bought some boots like that (probably not as heavy duty) for my dog after I got an inflatable pool for her to swim in. The one time I put them on her, she walked around like it was her first time in high heels.

Pooldog for poorboy!

I remember my first time in high heels.......

But seriously, has this drug made any noticeable changes in your pup? Would pretty much do anything (yep, maybe even cloning) to prolong the life on my little roommate . So, does it work and how? Details please.

I remember my first time in high heels.......

But seriously, has this drug made any noticeable changes in your pup? Would pretty much do anything (yep, maybe even cloning) to prolong the life on my little roommate . So, does it work and how? Details please.

To start - yes, it made a huge difference for him. He was 15 1/2 when I started the medication. Although the studies were done on "middle aged dogs I decided a senior could do it too. I didn't see it myself (I was too close) but my friends and neighbors ALL saw a huge difference in his behavior. A bit more bounce, more active, huge appetite difference. The most important change was when I took him for a check up 4-5 months ago, his blood work showed a complete resolution of his kidney failure (mild to begin with) which meant that the drug was giving him benefits - a lot of vets feel that aging in dogs (and people) has a large autoimmune factor and this drug is for autoimmune conditions.

He also continued to eat well, wag his tail, try to get up on my bed and was generally very happy.

All of that being said, he had a stroke 2 weeks ago at 16 1/2 and I had to put him to sleep. If I had it to do again I would and I would start the medication years earlier. A big dog of age 16 1/2 is a real oldster! But it did help his old age.

Now, after 43 consecutive years with 1-2 dogs at a time, all living into the teens, I'm a bit at loose ends.

Edited by Funguy

@Funguy Sorry for your loss! I'm glad your dog had more happy, active years, though.

I know what you mean about loose ends. I just had my 15-16 year old cat put to sleep due to an irreversible decline caused by diabetes that wasn't adequately controlled by insulin shots. The apartment is very quiet without her.

To start - yes, it made a huge difference for him. He was 15 1/2 when I started the medication. Although the studies were done on "middle aged dogs I decided a senior could do it too. I didn't see it myself (I was too close) but my friends and neighbors ALL saw a huge difference in his behavior. A bit more bounce, more active, huge appetite difference. The most important change was when I took him for a check up 4-5 months ago, his blood work showed a complete resolution of his kidney failure (mild to begin with) which meant that the drug was giving him benefits - a lot of vets feel that aging in dogs (and people) has a large autoimmune factor and this drug is for autoimmune conditions.

He also continued to eat well, wag his tail, try to get up on my bed and was generally very happy.

All of that being said, he had a stroke 2 weeks ago at 16 1/2 and I had to put him to sleep. If I had it to do again I would and I would start the medication years earlier. A big dog of age 16 1/2 is a real oldster! But it did help his old age.

Now, after 43 consecutive years with 1-2 dogs at a time, all living into the teens, I'm a bit at loose ends.

Well God bless you funguy. So very sorry to hear that you had to put your baby down. It's never easy, but it sounds as if he lived a long and happy life. I will be thinking about you today. Take care...