Those of You With Dogs...

Funguy
This topic is 1655 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

If that is generally known at the home, it must jump-start the residents when they see the cat approaching them. :oops:

I believe they are generally so ill that they wouldn't consciously notice it. But a warm furry body is still comforting even if one isn't consciously aware of it. (Speaking as someone whose cat spends a lot of time cuddled up to my side or feet.)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not so sure about avoiding "people food".

I had a grey wolf named Nanook. He lived to be 22yrs of age. He died a natural, unassisted death of old age and, during his lifetime, never had any health issues other than scuffs and scratches~ He had some arthritis that I tested with one baby aspirin per day~

His teeth were sound and white up until the last year of his life~

I fed him three cooked meals per day of rice and a ground cooked protein, (chicken breast shredded, lean ground beef, turkey breast and/or buffalo, sometimes cooked tuna steaks)... his favorite snacks were Swiss cheese and black licorice~

The only vegetables he ate/liked were forest grass and a certain type of grass that grew in the yard. He was selective for a certain type of grass~

He had a kibble but, it was grain free and

"animal-by-product" free with no ingredients from china~

Daily he had what I called "beef dinner for dogs" and that consisted of a large, meaty "bone in" beef shank with marrow~

The raw meat brings up an enzyme from canines stomachs that keeps their teeth clean and significantly reduces tarter build up~

I never gave him, (or any of my fuzzy buddies), raw or cooked bones or raw meat from chicken, rabbit, pork or fish... Beef and buffalo only~ Skin, meat and marrow... not just a bunch of fat~ He cleaned the bones spotless but, never "chewed" them up~ Same with my other canines~

I've used that regime with all of my fuzzy buds and they all seem to do very well on it with minimal health care issues~ I've never had a buddy die of cancer or diabetes... most of them live into their twenties~ I've had good success~

It's not exactly a "cheap" diet but, neither is health care, dental care or medications... and I value the longevity factor~

Also... daily fresh clean water~

One other side note: while traveling, I would Precook his three daily meals, bag them, flatten the bag and freeze them~ (easy freezer storage and quick to thaw when pressed flat before freezing).

Tyger~

Tygerkink@yahoo.com

971.400.2633 (phone calls must be scheduled in advance thru texting or email. thx)

https://rent.men/AAATygerscentXXX

http://www.daddysreviews.com/venue/usa/oregon/tyger_portland

I teresring. I have Great Danes and have considered a diet similar to yours.

I am putting down my 12 year old Terrier in 3 days. I have never done this before, but my vet is making a home visit. Her mind isn’t gone but her poor body is just very cancer ridden and ready. I know it’s time, but I find myself second guessing my decision for selfish reasons. ?

I had to do the same last year with my Portuguese water dog. You're making the right decision. As much as we want them to stay with us forever, they just cannot. And to see my poor Paris in such pain..I knew that it was the right choice. Doesn't make it any easier though. My sympathies on a tough time.

I am putting down my 12 year old Terrier in 3 days. I have never done this before, but my vet is making a home visit. Her mind isn’t gone but her poor body is just very cancer ridden and ready. I know it’s time, but I find myself second guessing my decision for selfish reasons. ?

Victor, I'm sorry to hear this. Making that decision is difficult and one I am struggling with. I have an 11 year old American Bulldog and am struggling with making the decision. My thoughts are with you and your terrior.

Sorry to hear this.

I am nearly at the same stage with my boy. Hard decision to make. 15 joyful years.

My heart goes out to all of you. I was only proxy pop for my boyfriend's pooch (also a terrier), and had only known him for half of his life, but was bereft when the time had come and was the one who took us all to the vets.

I had to do the same last year with my Portuguese water dog. You're making the right decision. As much as we want them to stay with us forever, they just cannot. And to see my poor Paris in such pain..I knew that it was the right choice. Doesn't make it any easier though. My sympathies on a tough time.

Victor, I'm sorry to hear this. Making that decision is difficult and one I am struggling with. I have an 11 year old American Bulldog and am struggling with making the decision. My thoughts are with you and your terrior.

Sorry to hear this.

I am nearly at the same stage with my boy. Hard decision to make. 15 joyful years.

It is a drug normally used in people as an immunosuppressive medication after kidney transplants. Some are also touting it's use in anti-aging with humans.

Using an immunosuppressive with the idea that it will prolong your life is probably rather dangerous and a bit nutty. Just saying. Don't believe all the crap your read on the internet, unless it's a real scientific study (and you have the education to know what a real scientific study is and how to interpret it).

The deed is done. Last night I had a Vet make a home visit. It was special to hold her during her last moments but equally as devastating seeing her eyes go dark. Someone said I’ll have a paw shaped hole in my heart for awhile, and they are definitely right about that! Every dog owner here please give your little boy/girl extra love for me.

The deed is done. Last night I had a Vet make a home visit. It was special to hold her during her last moments but equally as devastating seeing her eyes go dark. Someone said I’ll have a paw shaped hole in my heart for awhile, and they are definitely right about that! Every dog owner here please give your little boy/girl extra love for me.

We will all give you hugs for her in Palm Springs.:(

My heart goes out to all of you. I was only proxy pop for my boyfriend's pooch (also a terrier), and had only known him for half of his life, but was bereft when the time had come and was the one who took us all to the vets.
My boy wanted to pee on every palm tree on Indian Canyon Blvd. even when the tank was empty, the leg would go up.

What fun times he had each visit to the desert!

Today he has gone off to pee on brand new palm trees beyond. I miss him so already.

My boy wanted to pee on every palm tree on Indian Canyon Blvd. even when the tank was empty, the leg would go up.

What fun times he had each visit to the desert!

Today he has gone off to pee on brand new palm trees beyond. I miss him so already.

He had a long life because of your love and affection, now he's in dog heaven.

Waiting for you beyond the rainbow bridge. Hugs x

The tale of a once-standoffish elderly rescue dog who struck up an unlikely friendship with a treats-hauling mailman before she died has gone viral, thanks to a tear-jerking tweet.

Gretchen, a sweet-but-shy German shepherd, and her Texas owner, Chris Cimino, left the mailman who visited her every day on his route a heartbreaking goodbye letter.

“Gretchen passed away yesterday. She asked me to ask you if you would share her treats that she never got to finish with the other dogs on your route,” Cimino wrote in a letter with a bag of bone-shaped treats stapled to it. “She always enjoyed seeing you come to the door and was always happy to get a snack from you.”

The note, which was posted on Twitter by mailman Fernando Barboza’s daughter, had garnered more than 874,000 likes by Monday.

Cimino adopted Gretchen in 2013, back when she was skittish and nervous around people, he told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“Her mistrust of just about everyone outside of the family was pretty evident,” Cimino said. But she eventually warmed up to Barboza, who brought her treats every day.

“It started off slow,” Cimino said of their friendship. “But he was pretty persistent — he would call her name and she started looking forward to it.”

“Even when he didn’t have any packages to deliver to the door he would drive by and say, ‘Hey, Gretchen,'” Cimino said.

Eventually, the dog began waiting by the door for him.

“She started looking forward to him coming by,” Cimino said. “He would deliver a package to the old man across the street and she would get really jealous.”

The pooch passed away after a long battle with neuropathic disease last week, according to GMA.

Cimino now hopes his story will inspire animal lovers to adopt old dogs.

“You never know when you’re going to find that one-in-a-lifetime friendship,” he said.

BTW... the name Chris Cimino is known to NYers for something else...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaz1o89R8_ERESbe9MeANcDegUR_6O5z8LNmIHXGzwvEMZjELc

jim-watkins-chris-cimino-and-dick-brennan-attend-a-day-to-believe-picture-id621286576

Edited by samhexum

The tale of a once-standoffish elderly rescue dog who struck up an unlikely friendship with a treats-hauling mailman before she died has gone viral, thanks to a tear-jerking tweet.

Gretchen, a sweet-but-shy German shepherd, and her Texas owner, Chris Cimino, left the mailman who visited her every day on his route a heartbreaking goodbye letter.

“Gretchen passed away yesterday. She asked me to ask you if you would share her treats that she never got to finish with the other dogs on your route,” Cimino wrote in a letter with a bag of bone-shaped treats stapled to it. “She always enjoyed seeing you come to the door and was always happy to get a snack from you.”

The note, which was posted on Twitter by mailman Fernando Barboza’s daughter, had garnered more than 874,000 likes by Monday.

Cimino adopted Gretchen in 2013, back when she was skittish and nervous around people, he told ABC’s “Good Morning America.”

“Her mistrust of just about everyone outside of the family was pretty evident,” Cimino said. But she eventually warmed up to Barboza, who brought her treats every day.

“It started off slow,” Cimino said of their friendship. “But he was pretty persistent — he would call her name and she started looking forward to it.”

“Even when he didn’t have any packages to deliver to the door he would drive by and say, ‘Hey, Gretchen,'” Cimino said.

Eventually, the dog began waiting by the door for him.

“She started looking forward to him coming by,” Cimino said. “He would deliver a package to the old man across the street and she would get really jealous.”

The pooch passed away after a long battle with neuropathic disease last week, according to GMA.

Cimino now hopes his story will inspire animal lovers to adopt old dogs.

“You never know when you’re going to find that one-in-a-lifetime friendship,” he said.

Adopting an older dog was a great experience. I got to enjoy all the best parts of having a companion without all the work of a puppy. But puppies sure are cute ?

BTW... the name Chris Cimino is known to NYers for something else...

Morning meteorologist Chris Cimino didn’t realize his mic was still hot when the “Today” show’s Al Roker cut to him for the Big Apple forecast this morning.

“It’s just a weird f—ing thing, it’s just strange,” Cimino can be heard saying around 8:17 a.m.

“Um, but I think if I didn’t do that, I wouldn’t have allowed myself,” he went on, before his mic was abruptly cut off.

Things went silent for the next 20 seconds, and a 10-day forecast graphic was displayed on screen, before suddenly cutting back to Roker and the “Today” roundtable.

Stunned viewers called Cimino out on the slip.

“Who else was listening today when Chris Cimino dropped an ‘F’ bomb at 8:16!!!! He missed his cue to do the weather but was heard making a non weather related comment,” KimGBrooklyn tweeted around 9 a.m.

“Did I imagine it or did Chris Cimino accidentally drop the F bomb? #YourMicisHot,”JDocMartin tweeted about 15 minutes after the slip.

“Chris Cimino please remember that you are on the AIR LIVE… ‘ So F$#%& Weird’ is not acceptable when my 6 year is setting next to me watching the news…,” Renny Hurst tweeted.

A spokesman for the news channel did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Morning meteorologist Chris Cimino didn’t realize his mic was still hot when the “Today” show’s Al Roker cut to him for the Big Apple forecast this morning.

“It’s just a weird f—ing thing, it’s just strange,” Cimino can be heard saying around 8:17 a.m.

“Um, but I think if I didn’t do that, I wouldn’t have allowed myself,” he went on, before his mic was abruptly cut off.

Things went silent for the next 20 seconds, and a 10-day forecast graphic was displayed on screen, before suddenly cutting back to Roker and the “Today” roundtable.

Stunned viewers called Cimino out on the slip.

“Who else was listening today when Chris Cimino dropped an ‘F’ bomb at 8:16!!!! He missed his cue to do the weather but was heard making a non weather related comment,” KimGBrooklyn tweeted around 9 a.m.

“Did I imagine it or did Chris Cimino accidentally drop the F bomb? #YourMicisHot,”JDocMartin tweeted about 15 minutes after the slip.

“Chris Cimino please remember that you are on the AIR LIVE… ‘ So F$#%& Weird’ is not acceptable when my 6 year is setting next to me watching the news…,” Renny Hurst tweeted.

A spokesman for the news channel did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

was he talking about the elderly dog thing??......(it's not evident in your post).......otherwise, what does this have to do with those of us with dogs??

was he talking about the elderly dog thing??......(it's not evident in your post).......otherwise, what does this have to do with those of us with dogs??

No... I just thought it was funny that just a couple of days after I posted about dog owner Chris Cimino and added the little bit at the end about him having the same name as a local weatherman, that same weatherman got some notoriety of his own. Just a co-inky-dink that made me chuckle.