Airline Passenger Telling It Like It Is!!-Passenger Grumpiness!!!

Gar1eth
This topic is 2319 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I guess I've become accustomed to the arcane boarding rituals and the increasingly less-comfortable seats and all that... Where I'm becoming a curmudgeon is around those people who bring huge bags of stinky/sloppy airport food to eat on board. Sure, airplane food was never appetizing, but at least it was tidy and comparatively inconspicuous. I find the enduring aroma of that giant meatball sandwich stewing three rows away to be almost worse than a cranky baby. At least I carry earphones with me so there's the possibility I can block out the baby...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very simply, it is a perk for frequent flyers. Delta boards in order of 1) anyone needing special assistance (which should be wheelchairs & baby carriages but is abused at times), 2) first class and diamond medallion, 3) skymember premium plus those who've paid extra for a "comfort" class seat, then, zones 1, 2, etc.

It's one of the few free things they can offer frequent flyers (as opposed to a free upgrade to first which they can instead sell to a coach pax for dollars or points).

Logistically it is a little backwards since the groups who board first tend to be toward the front and on the aisles but getting on early gives you a much better shot at the much-coveted overhead bin space.

Agree...

Yes I consider it a perk. I like to board first and then get all settled in before the plane gets crowded. Once out of DFW, I think it was Delta, I upgraded to first, but they boarded the plane rear to front, and it was irritating. There were plenty of over head bins, that wasn't the issue, I just hated waiting while everyone else boarded ahead of me.

Normally I might not have cared as much, but it had been a rough trip. Connecting flights were ridiculously tight, and on every leg, I became increasingly more stressed. :(

Edited by bigvalboy

you think an airline can pay for jet fuel on an $80 ticket alone? No sir.

The point is, the airlines don't pay for their fuel with the $80 fares, they cover the fixed costs, including fuel, with the premium fares and the full-fare economy seats. They don't need to sell the last few seats to cover their costs but selling them at super cheap rates boosts their income. Your good or bad fortune if you buy one of them is that cabin crew don't know whether you paid full-fare or discount. But they will know if you are a high level frequent flyer and most likely treat you accordingly.

>>Very simply, it is a perk for frequent flyers. Delta boards in order of 1) anyone needing special assistance (which should be wheelchairs & baby carriages but is abused at times), 2) first class and diamond medallion, 3) skymember premium plus those who've paid extra for a "comfort" class seat, then, zones 1, 2, etc.

It's one of the few free things they can offer frequent flyers (as opposed to a free upgrade to first which they can instead sell to a coach pax for dollars or points).

Logistically it is a little backwards since the groups who board first tend to be toward the front and on the aisles but getting on early gives you a much better shot at the much-coveted overhead bin space.<<

Thanks for the interesting answer. But...but...it is a LOT backwards and it is absolutely the reason for congested aisles.

Southwest does not assign seats but gives boarding priority based on a number of factors.

Aside from their uncomfortable seats, I hate Southwest's no assigned seating. I don't mind them on a quick flight say from Dallas to Houston or Austin. But they are horrible on long hauls such as Baltimore to Seattle.

Gman

The stewardess made the announcement that "as we have a very full flight, we'd like to ask you to step out of the row so people can get by."

My response to this is people are standing in the aisle because they are putting luggage and other bags in the overhead storage.

The process of putting your carry-on in the overhead bin shouldn't take more than 10 seconds, plus another 10 seconds if you're helping the little old lady sitting next to you. I would venture to guess that if the stewardess scolded you, that you were doing something other than putting in your carry-on. When there are 100+ people behind you waiting to board, this is not the time to be rifling through your luggage, looking for reading material or whatever else you need during flight. These items should have been pulled out before you boarded the plane, to be stored in your personal item that you put under the seat. Even a 737 can carry 160 passengers or more:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_V2.php

I think you can understand that if every passenger took 30 seconds, blocking the aisle while doing so, that the boarding process would take well over an hour. So I think the stewardess was asking for some consideration of the other passengers on board.

Airlines use boarding zones to make things easiest for their best customers, next easier for next-to-best customers, and so on. The best customers have the best chance at getting overhead bin space, especially space next to their seats. Zone 4 customers usually need to check their carry-ons. These are usually customers with no loyalty to the airline, perhaps even those who get their tickets via bidding sites. The very best customers, of course, get upgraded to first class and board first. They then get offered a vodka cran-apple, which they can sip while watching the hoi polloi file in on their trail of tears... ;)

This song often comes to me while watching to coach passengers pass by:

The process of putting your carry-on in the overhead bin shouldn't take more than 10 seconds, plus another 10 seconds if you're helping the little old lady sitting next to you. I would venture to guess that if the stewardess scolded you, that you were doing something other than putting in your carry-on. When there are 100+ people behind you waiting to board, this is not the time to be rifling through your luggage, looking for reading material or whatever else you need during flight. These items should have been pulled out before you boarded the plane, to be stored in your personal item that you put under the seat. Even a 737 can carry 160 passengers or more:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/American_Airlines/American_Airlines_Boeing_737-800_V2.php

I think you can understand that if every passenger took 30 seconds, blocking the aisle while doing so, that the boarding process would take well over an hour. So I think the stewardess was asking for some consideration of the other passengers on board.

What a way to make a judgement on a situation when you weren't even there. Not to mention you are just about 100% wrong in your depiction of me. I was already sitting down at the time the flight attendant made the announcement, so obviously she wasn't referring to me. And I think everyone realizes that it can take longer than 10 seconds to put an article in overhead storage. 1st there is the process of taking it off your shoulder or even lifting it up in your hands. Now most people try to do this carefully and without swinging the object wildly as, especially in the tighter quarters these days, it's a lot easier to accidentally hit someone. Then there's the process of trying to make room in the bin in case there is stuff already in it.

As for the contention that Zone 4 passengers shouldn't have the right to any bin space:mad:. To paraphrase a famous philosopher-"The airlines were made passengers and not the passengers for the convenience of the airlines."

As for us 'simple folk,' sometimes what we do while sitting around and wondering (and during the 15 downtime between sets of our fiery dances ) is express frustration in online Forums. Of course it can open you up to those with feelings of noblesse without any sense of oblige.

Yes, that's what we simple folk do (as you might surmise) :rolleyes:

Gman

Edited by Gar1eth

I like the larger jets, where they can board at the second left door, so first class is to the left, and everybody else, to the right. If I'm in first, I can have my pre-flight drink in relative peace and quiet. Unfortunately, larger jets tend not to fly domestic routes anymore, and I hate the 737.

I don't think anyone mentioned: It takes a virtual police squad to make sure that, if boarded rear-to-front, that people don't take a more-forward seat's luggage space on their way back to the lav.

I don't think anyone mentioned: It takes a virtual police squad to make sure that, if boarded rear-to-front, that people don't take a more-forward seat's luggage space on their way back to the lav.

Which of course slows the boarding process down. I don't do that. I prefer having my stuff near me.

Gman

Airlines use boarding zones to make things easiest for their best customers, next easier for next-to-best customers, and so on. The best customers have the best chance at getting overhead bin space, especially space next to their seats. Zone 4 customers usually need to check their carry-ons. These are usually customers with no loyalty to the airline, perhaps even those who get their tickets via bidding sites. The very best customers, of course, get upgraded to first class and board first. They then get offered a vodka cran-apple, which they can sip while watching the hoi polloi file in on their trail of tears... ;)

This song often comes to me while watching to coach passengers pass by:

Unicorn didn't say YOU did it... he was talking in an impersonal way or that's what I understand... I also fully agree with this statement, can you imagine 1 hour boarding?

What else can possibly go wrong?

635829541785154800-250152883_closing%20luggage.gif

What a way to make a judgement on a situation when you weren't even there. Not to mention you are just about 100% in your depiction of me. I was already sitting down at the time the flight attendant made the announcement, so obviously she wasn't referring to me. And I think everyone realizes that it can take longer than 10 seconds to put an article in overhead storage. 1st there is the process of taking it off your shoulder or even lifting it up in your hands. Now most people try to do this carefully and without swinging the object wildly as especially in the tighter quarters these days it's a lot easier to accidentally hit someone. Then there's the process of trying to make room in the bin in case there is stuff already in it.

As for the contention that Zone 4 passengers shouldn't have the right to any bin space:mad:. To paraphrase a famous philosopher-"The airlines were made passengers and not the passengers for the convenience of the airlines."

As for us 'simple folk,' sometimes what we do while sitting around and wondering (and during the 15 downtime between sets of our fiery dances ) is express frustration in online Forums. Of course it can open you up to those with feelings of noblesse without any sense of oblige.

Yes, that's what we simple folk do (as you might surmise) :rolleyes:

Gman

You're not a simple folk on here, hire less and buy yourself an upgrade or don't fly, I'm sorry but I'm 25K on United and happy to get exit row with extra leg room, I even flew an extra flight just to keep that right.

Let's grab our iPhone and see what we can do in 10 seconds, I think it's time enough to grab your small suitcase put it up on the storage bin.

Edited by marylander1940

I like the larger jets, where they can board at the second left door, so first class is to the left, and everybody else, to the right. If I'm in first, I can have my pre-flight drink in relative peace and quiet. Unfortunately, larger jets tend not to fly domestic routes anymore, and I hate the 737.

I've only seen a flight attendant yelling about it to a passenger once about that precise subject but I'm sure they're watching!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lldjzdSYjR1qex40do1_500.gif

Edited by marylander1940

If you want to avoid the baggage fee, just bring the luggage with you and gate check it. Its incredibly easy to avoid the baggage fee

I think a lot of airlines are starting to charge more for the gate check in for bags. its pretty much bring anything with you and its a fee..and some of the arguments ive seen at the gate on whats considered a personal item lol.

Folks wanted lower prices,they got em and now they can't handle the reverb

you want first class treatment? buy a first class ticket :)

you think an airline can pay for jet fuel on an $80 ticket alone? No sir.

Yes, the other choice would be using priceline and leaving at 7 AM from NYC to make it to SF at 9 PM after spending 5 hours in an airport connecting. Personally I don't think it's worth it but it's the cheapest way to fly.

One more choice:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1485516/images/o-DOGS-AIRPLANES-facebook.jpg

Edited by marylander1940

I think a lot of airlines are starting to charge more for the gate check in for bags. its pretty much bring anything with you and its a fee..and some of the arguments ive seen at the gate on whats considered a personal item lol.

http://21onuv2o3diqcdqccz3o9c12iv.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/xrayscan-gadling-bumper.jpg

The number of times I've been on flights when the overheads became full long before everyone had boarded the plane, boarding passengers became logjammed trying stow their carry-ons, and the flight attendants began the impromptu and inefficient process of gate-checking bags back from the aisle to the tarmac...

In addition to more aggressively screening for oversized bags gate agents need to do something like issue tags that say "overhead" and "under seat" as they check boarding passes. I get sick and tired of these business travelers who get on the plane and put both the rollaway and the backpack in the overhead. These are the same guys that start arguments when I try to play "baggage Tetris" to make room for more bags in an overhead bin. I still remember a flight out of Boston in the '90s when a flight attendant resolved an out of control carry-on situation by working her way through the bins and asking "whose is this?" for every bag. Any time she got the same passenger answering for two bags she'd pull out the smaller one, hand it to the passenger, and say "please stow this under the seat in front of you," and she'd move on to the next bin while ignoring further discussion. Most flight attendants just hide and avoid confrontation while hoping everything works out. They get involved when they have to; which is much too late.

I've become pathetically anal about getting myself put together on the shuttle ride to the airport getting ready for the pre-check line and boarding.... watch and pen goes in the top zipper pouch of my backpack, wallet (minus global entry ID) goes in on top... ear buds go in my shirt pocket (they pass thru security) and phone goes in on top of wallet after the boarding pass scan... iPad goes in front pocket of backpack pre-security, then comes back out pre-boarding. My hanging toiletry kit stays packed all the time, home or away, so I don't sit and worry about what I might have forgotten (like my tiny can of Lysol spray for the hotel room TV remote, phone, light switch, etc. - I saw on TV once where some people have SEX in those rooms and there's a major ick element to touching a spooge-encrusted toilet handle).

If I deviate from this I become completely dysfunctional.

http://memeshappen.com/media/created/Ten-Minutes-til-wapner-definitely-trump-I39m-an-eXcellent-Driver-meme-50099.jpg

I like the larger jets, where they can board at the second left door, so first class is to the left, and everybody else, to the right.

Oh, but I so do like watching the steerage passengers take the walk of shame. Some of them can be quite handsome. And if they get stuck because some buffoon in the back is blocking the aisle, then I get to ogle him and give him the eye while I smile and sip my drink!

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k554/djkeev/Mobile%20Uploads/5C33F941-74B6-4DC5-9E89-5AA851ADCA62.png

Oh, but I so do like watching the steerage passengers take the walk of shame. Some of them can be quite handsome. And if they get stuck because some buffoon in the back is blocking the aisle, then I get to ogle him and give him the eye while I smile and sip my drink!

And I love to stare down at the comfortably seated hot first class passengers. The last time I boarded in Charlotte the aisle was blocked for a long time while I ogled a nicely built black man wearing a tight tank top and well packed warmup pants. By the time the line started moving again I had studied every curve and bulge unashamedly, while he started to get a bit uncomfortable. I'm almost positive he's an actor playing support roles on some TV shows, but I have not been able to identify him yet.

Edited by Nvr2Thick

Yes, the other choice would be using priceline and leaving at 7 AM from NYC to make it to SF at 9 PM after spending 5 hours in an airport connecting. Personally I don't think it's worth it but it's the cheapest way to fly.

One more choice:

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1485516/images/o-DOGS-AIRPLANES-facebook.jpg

sorry if i am going to fly with my dog, she is going either on the seat next to me or on the floor. good thing she is small. i would never subject her to the horrors of the cargo area. ive heard horrors. non pressurized, non climate controlled :eek::eek::eek::eek:

sorry if i am going to fly with my dog, she is going either on the seat next to me or on the floor. good thing she is small. i would never subject her to the horrors of the cargo area. ive heard horrors. non pressurized, non climate controlled :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I agree with you, I meant that example/suggestion (flying like a dog) for guys who don't want to deal with carry on, small seats, being rushed by other people or just dealing with them.

They should fly on a cage and be away from everybody else.

Edited by marylander1940