GAY PRIDE

jjkrkwood
This topic is 2264 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As Gay Pride month is about to end this weekend with the culmination of the NYC parade, I am interested to know if any of you participated in any Gay Pride events or parties, this year in particular, or will be this weekend ?

So many recent events have caused the community to have mixed emotions, and Very strong feelings of Pride and belonging. Did these recent events have any influence over Pride participation this year ?

I myself have developed a phobia of crowds, and try to avoid events where crowds assemble. It sounds silly when I say it out loud, because bad things can happen anytime/ anywhere..

I did however attend the NYC Leather Pride event last weekend. In the past I volunteered as an event helper, but this year I just really wanted to experience it so I went as a civilian... It was wild as usual, and the mood seemed more jubilant than usual...

Please share your experiences..... HAPPY GAY PRIDE to All ! (Love is LOVE)

5874153296_aeef653a80_b.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Gay Pride month is about to end this weekend with the culmination of the NYC parade, I am interested to know if any of you participated in any Gay Pride events or parties, this year in particular, or will be this weekend ?

I myself have developed a phobia of crowds, and try to avoid events where crowds assemble. It sounds silly when I say it out loud, because bad things can happen anytime/ anywhere..

Please share your experiences..... HAPPY GAY PRIDE to All ! (Love is LOVE)

5874153296_aeef653a80_b.jpg

Pride in FTL was as festive as ever. It was mostly last weekend, but I don't really need a reason to celebrate.;)

photo.jpg

The BW in FTL.

And yes I know it's a dump, but it's my dump....and yes I sit by the exit.

"I myself have developed a phobia of crowds, and try to avoid events where crowds assemble. It sounds silly when I say it out loud, because bad things can happen anytime/ anywhere..

Edited by bigvalboy

The last time I participated in a Gay Pride event was forty years ago in Philadelphia. I carried the banner at the head of the parade in Center City. I have attended some other events over the years, but mostly as a spectator, and nothing in the past few years. I, too, have grown tired of being in crowds, for any kind of event.

Edited by Charlie

I've been allergic to crowds for many years too.

I always attended the Pride events when I lived in Chicago because they were basically outside my front door but these days I'd have to commute to get to one. I could either drive down to WeHo (about an hour) and then be stuck finding parking in that throng, or I can ride Metro. Of course I have to drive 30 minutes to the outermost park & ride station to get ON Metro.

That's too much work for something I'll probably not enjoy all that much.

I've been allergic to crowds for many years too.

I always attended the Pride events when I lived in Chicago because they were basically outside my front door but these days I'd have to commute to get to one. I could either drive down to WeHo (about an hour) and then be stuck finding parking in that throng, or I can ride Metro. Of course I have to drive 30 minutes to the outermost park & ride station to get ON Metro.

That's too much work for something I'll probably not enjoy all that much.

But the Eye Candy usually makes up for it

sexyhunksundergearunderweargaypridefestnyc021-366x550.jpg

http://www.gaytravel4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/gay-pride-taipei-taiwan-1-495x370.jpg

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/images/publications/nightspots/2012-10-10/folsom_121010_am_leash.jpg

rafa_martin_teaser_pride_2012_logo.png

15453910628_86528b3d33_b.jpg

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/slideshows/2012/06/gay-pride-parade/16TwoMuscularGuys.nocrop.w670.h407.jpg

http://images2.miaminewtimes.com/imager/the-hottest-guys-of-miami-beach-gay-pride/u/original/6515110/robin_hood.jpg

"I'm On My Way to the Parade "

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IErV2cmG7Z0/UdEsFas6ljI/AAAAAAAANC8/A66p8tOw8k4/s598/nude-bodybuilder-red-muscle-shirt-bulge-covered-gay-nature-outdoor-sex-pose-muscle-hunk-homosexual-boy-buff-exhibitionist-sixpack.JPG

This is also Pride Week in San Francisco. Long ago I participated in many of the activities; today, as a "senior citizen," my heart, spirit and support are amongst the throngs, but not my physical presence.

The last time that I viewed the almost three hour parade in "The City by the Bay," there were so many folks in the area of City Hall afterwards that I became fearful of being crushed; as a result of this, I felt compelled to leave. I was all right in doing that then but would NOT repeat today!

I was in San Francisco on Wednesday and early Thursday of this week; those rainbow colored flags are remarkable. Macy's even had the "rainbow flags" flying outside of its flag ship store. I was indeed proud. Flags also dawned the poles of street lamps along all of Market Street, beginning at the Ferry Building and ending in "The Castro." Celebrate Pride, immensely, during 2016 and forever!

Edited by Axiom2001

But the Eye Candy usually makes up for it

sexyhunksundergearunderweargaypridefestnyc021-366x550.jpg

http://www.gaytravel4u.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/gay-pride-taipei-taiwan-1-495x370.jpg

http://www.windycitymediagroup.com/images/publications/nightspots/2012-10-10/folsom_121010_am_leash.jpg

rafa_martin_teaser_pride_2012_logo.png

15453910628_86528b3d33_b.jpg

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/slideshows/2012/06/gay-pride-parade/16TwoMuscularGuys.nocrop.w670.h407.jpg

http://images2.miaminewtimes.com/imager/the-hottest-guys-of-miami-beach-gay-pride/u/original/6515110/robin_hood.jpg

"I'm On My Way to the Parade "

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-IErV2cmG7Z0/UdEsFas6ljI/AAAAAAAANC8/A66p8tOw8k4/s598/nude-bodybuilder-red-muscle-shirt-bulge-covered-gay-nature-outdoor-sex-pose-muscle-hunk-homosexual-boy-buff-exhibitionist-sixpack.JPG

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6ey0dr0Aq1rs1mor.gif

"Lordy lordy lordy"

Regarding the NYC parade I enjoy it much better in Midtown Manhattan on 5th Ave. One year I went to Christopher Street and it was overly congested and noisy to boot! I and the friend that I was with felt trapped and claustrophobic. It was a real challenge to escape given the number of police barricades, but we managed to get out of there. I have not gone since then.

The same was true of Folsom East this past weekend later in the day. I guess that the cross streets of Manhattan are a bit too narrow to accommodate large events.

Really enjoyed San Diego Pride parade last year. Was right outside my front door. Unfortunately, I'll be in Europe when the parade passes by this year.

It really is fun when it's right outside your front door, isn't it? You can't ignore it. You can't not get out in it.

You need special noise cancelling headphones to ignore it.

And sometimes one of those really hot guys in a speedo suffers a little heatstroke and you can offer an air conditioned spot to rest for a moment, nice guy that you are.

Not that I've done that. :rolleyes:

Edited by deej

My favorite Gay Pride was in NYC in 1993. It was the only year I attended the parade, the pier dance and the fireworks that followed. I went with a good friend of mine (who passed away a few years ago). I have never been one for crowds, but I really had a good time. If I'm remembering correctly, the only time there wasn't a parade was the following year (the 25th anniversary of Stonewall). There were two separate factions, and no one filed the proper paperwork (or something like that) to secure the parade route. Talk about a blunder on such a significant milestone.

I do not, nor do I have any real desire to participate as I get older. I'll be in NYC this weekend for other reasons, and it will be my first Pride there since I moved away in 2000.

In looking back, I wish I had gone the year I came out (1988). I was still very new to the city and it was one of the few times I have felt absolutely alone. I remember hearing the revelry of the pier dance and fireworks from my apartment, but could not bring myself to go outside (I was living in the West Village at the time).

The first anniversary of Stonewall in 1970 was the occasion for the first organized gay pride march, but it was officially called the Christopher Street Liberation Day march, and it started as a ragtag gathering in Washington Square. The organizers--amazingly--managed to get a police permit for the march, but there wasn't enough time to publicize the route or the destination, so my phone was constantly ringing that morning as we kept asking one another, "Where are they going?" "Where are they now?" It turned out that the route that the police had marked out was up Sixth Ave (usually empty on a Sunday) to Central Park. We joined them at 29th and Sixth, and the number of people kept growing the farther north we got. By the time the parade emptied into Central Park, there was a huge mob of all kinds of people, and the mood was ebullient. The next day the New York Times described it as a "homosexual protest rally," but it felt more like a celebration, a great big party to which everyone was invited, and I was surprised by the number of non-gays who joined in.

I marched in the second Los Angeles Pride Parade in 1972 ( It was called "Christopher Street West" ). It was on Hollywood Blvd. I was going with guys from our recently founded Gay Students Union. Ed Davis the Chief of Police was a homophobe who would not grant a parade permit to a bunch of deviants, queers, and perverts. We gathered at Hollywood and Highland. We were told that if we marched we would be arrested. The police showed up in riot gear with a contingent of mounted police. It was the time of the Vietnam War and everyone had been to protests. We all knew the non-violent civil disobedience drill. If the cops came to arrest you, lie down, go limp and make them carry you. At the last minute, lawyers from ACLU arrived with a court order, and a parade permit. The Parade went on, and has gone on every year since. Over the years it became less a civil rights march, and more of a celebration. Over the years, I marched with the Gay Liberation Front, the Gay Community Services Center, SAGA Ski Club, AIDS Project Los Angeles, and even on Float promoting a Gay Musical I was in wearing a Satin Cocktail dress singing at the top of my lungs. I hadn't gone to the parade for several years, but after the Orlando massacre, I couldn't stay away. I watched the beautiful young people and found myself celebrating how far we've come, remembering those kids in Orlando and realizing we still have further to go.

I don't have any particular gay pride plans, but @body2body's post inspired me to share one my most treasured gay pride memories.

I went to undergrad in the Northeast at a school that I could not afford, but I desperately wanted to attend. Bc I was a coxswain, I was assigned a freshman dorm room in the athletes' wing. My roommate was a beautiful specimen of a diver. He had it all...face, body, cock, money, lineage and, to my chagrin, friggin' hetero. :mad: He knew I was gay - all my gay mags probably gave it away. Anyway, I did fantasize about giving him head, but I respected our boundaries, plus he was hardly ever around since we both had rigorous practice & academic schedules. When I saw him, he would complain about muscle aches, lack of sleep, and how unhappy he was with his GF. I sorta saw him as a complainer given all the gifts he had in life. As our first semester came to an end, finances got really difficult, so I decided to get a massage certification and give professional massages to help pay for tuition - and yes, part of me hoped that would help me get physically closer to my hunk of a roomie to help with aches. :D

Our first session was awkward, he seemed uncomfortable but I processed it as his own way to challenge his "cool" factor- afterall, this was the mid-90s, liberal school, being gay-friendly was starting to be cool. Anyway, my roomie and I kept up the sessions but his pain didn't improve, actually he continued to get worse, to the point that he had to skip a few diving meets. His doc couldn't figure it out. His sleeping habits got worse. I increased my sessions and added freebies to help.

As our second freshman semester came to an end, my roomie tentatively asked if he could return the favor and give me a massage. I pinched myself figuratively and then the panic set in - what if I got hard? This guy was a Nordic adonis. Regardless, slut that I am, I jumped on the bed face down and pulled my shorts down just a little so he would know I wanted my lower back touched. ;) He turned his desk light off, sat on the edge of my bed, put his clammy hand on my back, and I waited for what seemed to be an eternity. I had my face turned away from him, but I could hear him breathing. My common sense kicked in, and I knew this guy was way anxious. I flipped over with the intent to release him from this awkward moment. As I looked him in the eye, he broke down sobbing. He sobbed uncontrollably with the most gut wrenching howl I've ever heard in my life. I was at loss; all I could do was hold him in my arms, and as he rested his head on my shoulder, I understood.

This young man's aches, insomnia, gf probs were all emotional...I had been living my freshman year with a closeted gay athlete. That's when my gay pride kicked in. Over the next 3 years, I would be there for my gay brother, I would hold him when he was vulnerable, encourage him when he was down, support him with his crazy family, and help him find his gay pride. To me, gay pride is indeed a time for celebration & parades. It is a time to have fun and connect with our community. It is also a time to honor those who have built a path for us. But, ultimately, gay pride is about embracing who we are and helping those struggling with it to come to it on their own terms.

Happy Gay Pride, brothers & sisters! -TR

Over the years, I marched with the Gay Liberation Front, the Gay Community Services Center, SAGA Ski Club, AIDS Project Los Angeles

Great memories @body2body. It is indeed a small world. I was one of the original charter members of Saga Ski Club. The stories I could tell, some inspirational, and some sad, of the backlash we received by traveling as a proud group of gay men. It was a different time, and I look back now at the courage it took to confront the hatred and the homophobia. I was young and idealistic, and the club provided a safe haven to stand unafraid in the face of it all. We were denied reservations, asked to leave restaurants, refused service, but there were the victories.

Once leaving Lake Tahoe, we were the last flight out for two days. One of the boarding passengers began yelling homophobic obscenities at us from the mezzanine level. Suddenly we were the center of attention. Everyone was looking at us. We called security, demanded to speak to a representative from the airline, and insisted on speaking with the director in charge of airport operations. Our demand was simple, the gentlemen in question was not to be allowed to board. It was the last flight out for a couple of days, so there was a bit of a stand off. He apparently had meetings he had to be at, on Monday in LA. One of the lawyers in our group kindly reminded them that this could all be litigated in a court of law, should they decided to take that route. It was either him, or they would lose 40 paying passengers. Twenty minutes later they agreed to our demand, and we all took off, minus one very pissed off passenger. The pilot and crew all applauded us once the door was closed. It might have been was just a ski club, but we were also ambassadors representing a community.

Yes Gay Pride is more celebration now than a protest, but when all is said and done, it really is the same thing. Despite the inequities that remain, there is much to celebrate. For me, it's a chance to remember how far we've come, and to stand, and be counted.

"Friends of Dorothy"

Edited by bigvalboy