Game of Thrones

MFLV
This topic is 1839 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Didn't we all stop at the fifth?

• A Game of Thrones (1996)
  • A Clash of Kings (1998)
  • A Storm of Swords (2000)
  • A Feast for Crows (2005)
  • A Dance with Dragons (2011)
  • The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
  • A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

I probably miscounted. I was reading them in sequence and I got frustrated when I started a new book and he began introducing a whole new story arch (It could have been Sir Davos or even the Ironborn -- it was a long time ago.) and had hardly tied up any of the current ones. That's when I decided I wasn't going to live long enough to read the end of the series. At that time I had no idea that HBO had the show in the works.

I'm not sure if I will pick up the novels again if he does write more. I enjoyed his writing style for the first couple books, but the elaborate detail that I enjoyed at first became tiresome. I wanted the plot to move along, not 10 pages on what was served at a feast!

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't we all stop at the fifth?

• A Game of Thrones (1996)
  • A Clash of Kings (1998)
  • A Storm of Swords (2000)
  • A Feast for Crows (2005)
  • A Dance with Dragons (2011)
  • The Winds of Winter (forthcoming)
  • A Dream of Spring (forthcoming)

I probably miscounted. I was reading them in sequence and I got frustrated when I started a new book and he began introducing a whole new story arch (It could have been Sir Davos or even the Ironborn -- it was a long time ago.) and had hardly tied up any of the current ones. That's when I decided I wasn't going to live long enough to read the end of the series. At that time I had no idea that HBO had the show in the works.

I'm not sure if I will pick up the novels again if he does write more. I enjoyed his writing style for the first couple books, but the elaborate detail that I enjoyed at first became tiresome. I wanted the plot to move along, not 10 pages on what was served at a feast!

Martin may drop dead before he finishes the story anyway. The man is not exactly in good health from what I've read.

I've read the books, but have pretty much assumed he'll never finish the series. And I'll bet that if he gets the next one published it will contradict the HBO series in some way.

Martin may drop dead before he finishes the story anyway. The man is not exactly in good health from what I've read.

I've read the books, but have pretty much assumed he'll never finish the series. And I'll bet that if he gets the next one published it will contradict the HBO series in some way.

The TV series was not totally true to the books so it is unlikely that the books will be true to the tv series. Considering the time it took for the other books to come to fruition, the sixth book should be ready just about the time the tv series ends. That may jump start the sales. Hopefully, in writing the sixth book, he is also writing parts of the seventh. Otherwise it may take another 6 to 8 years to complete the tale, unless he decides to have a ghost writer take his ideas and put them to page.

The TV series was not totally true to the books so it is unlikely that the books will be true to the tv series. Considering the time it took for the other books to come to fruition, the sixth book should be ready just about the time the tv series ends. That may jump start the sales. Hopefully, in writing the sixth book, he is also writing parts of the seventh. Otherwise it may take another 6 to 8 years to complete the tale, unless he decides to have a ghost writer take his ideas and put them to page.

I *think* I saw an interview where Martin felt/commented that the writers/producers were doing a better job of going forward past the published books than he had anticipated. Maybe he's concerned the written word would pale in comparison to the televised series.

Mind you - I prefer the original author's writing compared to movie/tv adaptations 99% of the time. (Stephen King's The Stand anyone?) but the HBO guys are doing a stellar job of extending the storyline.

I *think* I saw an interview where Martin felt/commented that the writers/producers were doing a better job of going forward past the published books than he had anticipated. Maybe he's concerned the written word would pale in comparison to the televised series.

Mind you - I prefer the original author's writing compared to movie/tv adaptations 99% of the time. (Stephen King's The Stand anyone?) but the HBO guys are doing a stellar job of extending the storyline.

It is really hard to know how much of the ideas for the season are taken from Martin's manuscript and how much is totally independent. It has been 6 years since the last book. He must have some of it written.

The Duffle Blog Presents Weekend Safety Brief as written by George RR Martin.

http://www.duffelblog.com/2017/08/duffel-blog-presents-george-r-r-martin-gives-your-weekend-safety-brief/?utm_source=Duffel+Blog+Fans&utm_campaign=97d07b4ba6-Duffel_Blog_Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_6d392bc034-97d07b4ba6-23732721&goal=0_6d392bc034-97d07b4ba6-23732721&mc_cid=97d07b4ba6&mc_eid=5ab112fd98

For those not familiar with the Duffle Blog it's a humorous site dedicated to the absurdities of military life. It's popular among active duty and retired veterans. At one time "the brass" tried to shut it down but the troops let them know that wouldn't be good for morale. The site is run by veterans and has posted serious editorials about our current military operations.

This parody of GRRM is definitely on point.

If memory serves and it very well might not since I read the last book years ago, I seem to recall that it ends with Jon Snow getting stabbed so technically we don't even know for sure that he survives in the books. Maybe he doesn't since there is already another living male Targareyen heir on his way to Westeros with Tyrion? Will Jon Snow even be a Targareyan in the books? Rhaegar did kidnap Lianna Stark and Ned did find her in a bed of blood... so maybe. Certainly Lady Stoneheart will play more of a role in the books than she has in the series, though I haven't given up on seeing her yet.

Speeding toward the end, it seems. Hope that Arya and Sansa's reunion is more exciting than Sansa's and Bran's...

Hope that Arya and Sansa's reunion is more exciting than Sansa's and Bran's...

I just want them both to survive. I know that losing beloved characters is a hallmark of the show, but it would be very hard to get over the loss of Arya. My dream is that Dani and John fall in love so they can work together. And then Sansa becomes the Warden of the North.

That's the beauty of the show. Anything can happen and I certainly don't know what to predict.

Maybe he doesn't since there is already another living male Targareyen heir on his way to Westeros with Tyrion? Will Jon Snow even be a Targareyan in the books?

I read about the other male Targaryen on the Wiki devoted to the books (not the show) and was pretty excited about it, and disappointed when it became clear the show was going to ditch that storyline.

I remember reading someplace that the show creators (David Benioff and D. B. Weiss) figuring out that Jon Snow was Lianna & Rhaegar's child was one of the deciding factors in George R.R. Martin giving them the go-ahead to make the show.

I I know that losing beloved characters is a hallmark of the show, but it would be very hard to get over the loss of Arya. .

Too true. Anything's possible but it's hard to imagine her death serving the story, except, of course, it's a story that routinely upsets expectations. As much as I regret Lady Olenna's death, it made sense, and made for a great scene.

I think the following will make it to the end: Bran, Arya, Dany, Tyrion, Sam.

I can see the following going either way: Varys, Sansa, Littlefinger, Jaime, The Hound, Jon (although I think he'd last until near the end at least.)

I think the following won't make it: Cersei, Melisandre, The Mountain, Qyburn, Grey Worm, Theon. And since he said, "I'm a survivor," I think Hot Pie has a target on his back

Too true. Anything's possible but it's hard to imagine her death serving the story, except, of course, it's a story that routinely upsets expectations. As much as I regret Lady Olenna's death, it made sense, and made for a great scene.

I think the following will make it to the end: Bran, Arya, Dany, Tyrion, Sam.

I can see the following going either way: Varys, Sansa, Littlefinger, Jaime, The Hound, Jon (although I think he'd last until near the end at least.)

I think the following won't make it: Cersei, Melisandre, The Mountain, Qyburn, Grey Worm, Theon. And since he said, "I'm a survivor," I think Hot Pie has a target on his back

Sansa's wolf died in the place of Arya's. I think that may be foreshadowing.

Kevin Slater