Game of Thrones

MFLV
This topic is 1820 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I caught the last few episodes last year and got really interested in several of the characters/story lines. It was kind of confusing at times not knowing the back story.

I'm hoping not to be scratching my head so much this season.

GoT is back on 4/24, can't wait! Anybody else excited ?!

Very excited here!!! Re-binged all previous seasons recently. A friend who was here visiting for Christmas had never seen any of them, so I started him on season one and two. When he left for home, I had to keep watching the rest!!

i'm very curious to see hat hbo does next. they really abandoned george r. r. martin's source material last season. does anyone know if they're even using his as yet unpublished "winds of winter"?

by the way, that handsome man to the left is obviously not me. it's (sadly gone) robb stark, king of the north. so, yeah, i'm a fan.

i'm very curious to see hat hbo does next. they really abandoned george r. r. martin's source material last season. does anyone know if they're even using his as yet unpublished "winds of winter"?

by the way, that handsome man to the left is obviously not me. it's (sadly gone) robb stark, king of the north. so, yeah, i'm a fan.

"King of the North!" Brought me goosebumps when I read those lines first time in the book. The show did a decent job if the emotion too...

I'm very excited. I am making my way through the books (nearly done with book 3, but it's slow going), and re-watched nearly all of it during the marathon on HBO in December or January. There are so many characters & plotlines that I got a lot more out of it on the second viewing.

That Targareyan baby is likely a character we already know, or so it seems. So it may not be a skipped plot line, it may be THE plot line. Or not, who the hell knows one minute to the next on this show. Lots of sexy men and quite a lot of unexpected encounters keeps this show fascinating

OK, can we speculate as to what's gonna happen?

All of this in conjecture, as I'm only on book three (and unlikely to continue reading), and haven't read any of the fan pages. But here goes... (Conjecture spoiler alert):

Obviously Jon Snow is not dead. Or rather he is, but conveniently the red witch, who has a habit of resurrecting the dead, is nearby. Notice what his death accomplishes though. Think about his vow to the Night's Watch: "Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death." So if he dies and comes back, oath taken care of.

Why the fixation on Jon Snow (who has had a really boring story line, IMO)? He's the crux of the story. He ain't Ned Stark's bastard son. He's Ned's nephew by the dead sister and the Targareyan she had a fling with. (Don't really remember this but I think it's in there.) Targareyans have a habit of marrying siblings. Daenerys Targaryen is widowed. Wedding bells. Oh, and she has three dragons she's slowly losing control of. Brandon's a worg (controls animals with his mind). Last we saw of him he was told he'd never walk but would fly. Done. Or one third done. Maybe the Imp rides another. He has that special saddle. The Imp is aligned with Daenerys. I say the four of them come together, probably with others, to rule the seven kingdoms, or maybe we unite both sides of the ocean as well.

Arrya is roaming around aimlessly, as is now Sansa. Sansa's wolf died in the place of Arrya's (King Robert needed a wolf to kill and took Sansa's when Arrya's bit Joeffry). I think that portends that Sansa is somehow going to die to save Arrya. Don't know how that figures in yet. But he haven't had a good Stark killing in a few seasons now.

Just some of where I see all this going.

Kevin Slater

Totally agree.

In the books, Elia Martell (Oberyn's sister) was married to Rhaegar Targareyan and had two children, Aegon, a boy and Rhaenys, a girl. She was raped and murdered by the Mountain during the sacking of Kings Landing. He also killed her children.... or so it was assumed. Varis rescued the boy and had him raised out of Westeros by one of Rhaegar's knights. In book 5, Tyrion meets them and they travel together on a boat back to Westeros with the idea of taking the kingdom back as the rightful heir. So there is a living male Targareyan......Obviously, this is not how the show is going...

On the show, they appear to be going with the theory that Jon Snow is a Targareyan.... Lyanna Stark (Ned's sister and Robert Barothean's intended) was kidnapped and held prisoner by Rhaegar. She died in a "bed of blood".... that many think was childbirth. The child was Jon who was raised by Ned as his bastard .... and at some point, he will meet Daenerys.... a song of fire and ice.

i thought that there is still speculation that prince aegon targaryen may be an imposter.

as for jon snow...in book 2, when daenerys has a vision of of rhaegar while she is in the house of the undying, rhaegar mentions aegon and says, "he is the prince that was promised, and his is the song of ice and fire." at first master aemon also shares the same belief. later aemon has an epiphany that, for several reasons, the prince that was promised is, in fact, a princess--daenerys. melisandre claims that stannis is the prophesied leader, but she's wrong a lot.

finally getting back to jon snow, it's possible that he too was born "amidst smoke and salt", as prophesied. "under a bleeding star"? maybe not, but jon is the only character who is both ice (stark) and fire (targaryen).

the prince that was promised and "the dragon must have 3 heads" are the two most significant of the many prophecies in the books, most of which have been overlooked by hbo. lots of theories as to the meaning of the dragon having 3 heads....jon may be one of the symbolic "heads" instead, not the prince.

Edited by rocksinurhead

• 3 weeks later...

Season 6 starts this Sunday, April 24 and the episode is titled "The Red Woman"..... now, what in Westeros could Mellisandre be up to this time? Hmmm..... She's already burned Stannis's child for the blood of a king. Not that that did Stannis any good. He lost his life and the battle. So, let's see.... who's "dead" and in need of her fire magic?

Some speak of another Red Witch, so perhaps this is not a Meliasandre episode after all. They do seem to enjoy prolonging mysteries so it would not surprise me if the first episode does address Jon Snow at all. If Jon Snow is not on the episode, there would be no need to credit him for this episode, adding to the speculation of his return.

Some speak of another Red Witch, so perhaps this is not a Meliasandre episode after all. They do seem to enjoy prolonging mysteries so it would not surprise me if the first episode does address Jon Snow at all. If Jon Snow is not on the episode, there would be no need to credit him for this episode, adding to the speculation of his return.

The series briefly introduced another priestess of The Lord of Light when Tyrion and Varys stopped in Volantis en route to Mereen, if my memory serves me well. It would be a possibility.

Just got done binge-watching season 5. I'm assuming they wrote out Sansa and Reek since they leaped from the parapet walls of Winterfell. Don't see how they could survive that. Area's storyline seems pretty removed from everything right now - don't see how this will work back into the main thread. I don't recall seeing Bran (the Stark boy who can't walk) at all in season 5. Somehow if I were Jon Snow (and presumably dead at this point) I think I'd wait for another opportunity to come to life again - that Mellisandre is just bad news, I think. I'd hate to be in her debt. She was the one who talked Stannis into burning his daughter and you see what that got him. With magic like that, it sounds like Mellisandre has all the predicting abilities of Jean Dixon (whose forecasts always seemed wrong).

From everything I have read and from the trailers, Sansa and Theon are very much alive. The snow was deep at Winterfell and it broke their fall. I read an interview with Sophie Turner (Sansa) that says that she becomes a major force this season so apparently she gets away from Ramsay Snow... I also read that they cast Theon's uncle, Euron Greyjoy who must be coming to rescue Theon and avenge the honor of the Iron Islands. In the books, he was already king of the Iron Islands because Theon's father, Balon was killed during a fall. That hasn't been shown in the books. In the books, Theon's sister Asha was the one trying to rescue him, but that haven't shown her in years. Euron is a one eyed pirate called Crow Eye that sails a ship called the Silence because it is manned only by mutes who lost their tongues to Euron...

Both Arya and Bran are back this season. From the pictures, Bran is now over 6 feet tall and is still mastering his wog skills.... and will be able to go in the past and see old events which is how I think we will get to see Rhaegar and Lianna and Jon Snow's real back story. Arya is still blind and learning to fight. I bet she runs into Sam and Gilly because that's where they are headed.

And you are right about Mellisandre and her iffy magic. She was able to conjure up a demon smoke monster that killed Renly but that was using Gendry's blood who was a true male Barothean heir. Less effective with Stannis's daughter obviously.