What is your favorite crock pot (slow cooker) recipe?

geminibear
This topic is 2998 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I just found a white chili recipe that's about perfect as well. It tastes better if you use bone-in meat. In the last hour or so you shred the meat and add cornstarch and milk. Finding all the bone chunks is the toughest part.

Being a native Texan, I find white chili to be an oxymoron. If your ground beef is white, something must really have been wrong with that cow!! No offense to colored bovines intended @purplekow!!!

I apparently was not made for crockpots. I've tried pot roast at least three or four times in two different crockpots. Each time (I've used the low setting) for 6 to 8 hours-the meat has been on the tasteless side but also with a strange burned/ metallic type taste. I read somewhere that it might be due to the diced tomatoes/tomato sauce. Also recently I tried to do chicken breasts with the same type of recipe you'd do for pot roast. I added garlic cloves, carrots, potatoes, and diced tomatoes. And again like the beef, the breasts were tasteless.

Gman

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All this talk about slow cookers is making me hungry! I use Giarda De Laurentis' recipe for California Turkey Chili... wonderful nuances of smoked paprika, brown sugar, and italian spices. So yummy with lime flavored tortilla chips. I also do a nice short ribs a la Scarpetta. So good.

I don't know what I would do without my crock pot and I use it 5 or 6 times a month for a whole bunch of recipes. Tomorrow I'll be making sauerkraut, sausage and potatoes in it. But one of my all time favorites is jambalaya. Maybe not the real thing but it is to my liking. http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/easy-slow-cooker-jambalaya is the base but I'll adjust it as suits me.

Another favorite of mine is doing a whole roasted chicken: http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-rotisserie-style-chicken-448861

It took a bit of trial and error to get to know my crock pot and how it cooks. If I followed the recipes and the setting/time stated, things came out way overdone. With time I now know to adjust appropriately.

It took a bit of trial and error to get to know my crock pot and how it cooks. If I followed the recipes and the setting/time stated, things came out way overdone. With time I now know to adjust appropriately.

Maybe I need your advice to prevent me from ruining yet another pot roast. I think one of the problems is that the newer crockpots in order to make sure food gets to the proper temperature get a lot hotter than the original ones. But you'd think the manufacturers would have adjusted the recipes for this. But I'm not sure if they really have. There's a model out that comes with a temperature probe. I wonder if that would help.

Gman

Being a native Texan, I find white chili to be an oxymoron. If your ground beef is white, something must really have been wrong with that cow!! No offense to colored bovines intended @purplekow!!!

I apparently was not made for crockpots. I've tried pot roast at least three or four times in two different crockpots. Each time (I've used the low setting) for 6 to 8 hours-the meat has been on the tasteless side but also with a strange burned/ metallic type taste. I read somewhere that it might be due to the diced tomatoes/tomato sauce. Also recently I tried to do chicken breasts with the same type of recipe you'd do for pot roast. I added garlic cloves, carrots, potatoes, and diced tomatoes. And again like the beef, the breasts were tasteless.

Gman

What is white chili?

I know red chili and green chili.

That's what I'm saying @geminibear. Although to tell you the truth I'm not a great fan of chili peppers although I do add ground cayenne to my chili.

I addended my post. You should read about my crockpot woes.

Gman

Yeah, I'm quite accustomed to Texans' sense of identity and pride. Try to get past the obsession with tradition and ownership, or we can call it Southwestern-themed Shredded Chicken Stew instead of White Chili. This is mostly chicken, beans and chilies. The sauce or soup is chicken broth thickened with cornmeal and some milk, and whatever oozes out of the meat during cooking; let's call it "poultry lymph." Oh yeah, there's a whole lot of garlic and spices. As Gman has discovered, crock pots tend to cook through your spices. I tend to go heavier than the recipes call for.

I started using a crock pot in my 20's because it's easy. My beef stew takes about 10 minutes of vegetable chopping, then it all gets thrown in the pot for eight hours. I end up with a great dinner and leftovers for days.

I always used to cook my real chili over the stove because I thought that the crock pot chili recipes weren't all that good. After a few decades of playing with a crock pot I started to understand what it can and can't do. Now I've found a good crock pot chili recipe with beef and sausage. I've learned enough to know to cook on low for under 8 hours so that the tomatoes don't break down into acid and the peppers don't disintegrate. I know which spices are safe to punch up as well. Now I make chili more often because I don't have to watch a pot on the stove.

I have to laugh so far only @not2rowdy is the only one who has shared a crock pot recipe in this thread. :rolleyes:

Makes me wonder about you guys. :confused::(

I don't know if you were around then, Gem. But you might want to go through my Pot Roast Thread from two years ago. I think there were some recipes divulged in that one.

http://www.companyofmen.org/threads/crockpots-no-the-real-ones-and-pot-roast.97280/

Gman

Easy #1: Chicken Thighs

Preparation time about 2 minutes

A 4 or 6 pack of chicken thighs. Skin side up.

Pour a can of diced Italian style tomatoes over the top.

Add some garlic, Italian spice, a little crushed red pepper.

Add just a little water. Maybe a 1/2 cup.

Cook until you smell it. Probably about 6 hrs depending on your setting.

Optional: When it’s about time to eat cook rice or spaghetti to use as a bed base.

Or cook some veggies to serve on the side.

Any leftovers should go in serving size containers and put in the fridge.

Mr. Rowdy-a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you think it would work with chicken breasts? I'll eat thighs. But they aren't my favorite.

2. Looking at crockpot recipes online, I've read some complaints about chicken skin. People write that it's soggy or something-and they all prefer it crispy.

3. Do you use the high or the low setting in your pot for this? I'm thinking possibly the High one as it only takes 6 hours.

Gman

PS I know people have their own recipes for chili. I think this is a great chili mix. You just brown the ground beef, drain the grease, add a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced (I like the flavored types like garlic) or stewed tomatoes, and I also add onions, paprika, and extra garlic. The other spices are in this box. It even has masa flour to help thicken the chili.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-57a1/k2-_1cee9c24-a1db-4a1d-ac2b-554148526942.v1.jpg

Gman

PS a can of diced (I like the flavored types like garlic) and I also add onions, paprika, and extra garlic.

http://i5.walmartimages.com/dfw/dce07b8c-57a1/k2-_1cee9c24-a1db-4a1d-ac2b-554148526942.v1.jpg

Gman

I hope you didn't eat any of that before your rendezvous with Michael.:confused:

~ Boomer ~

I'm waiting for someone to (strip off his leather vest and) say, "Ooh! That sounds so, so delish! Please, please, you must share the recipe!"

I hope you didn't eat any of that before your rendezvous with Michael.:confused:

Both of these made me laugh so hard I spit out my chili con carne :Dwhich is neither a soup or a stew @Rudynate :mad:

PS I know people have their own recipes for chili. I think this is a great chili mix. You just brown the ground beef, drain the grease, add a can of tomato sauce, a can of diced (I like the flavored types like garlic) or stewed tomatoes, and I also add onions, paprika, and extra garlic. The other spices are in this box. It even has masa flour to help thicken the chili.

Gman

~ Boomer ~

Never fear Boomer, I didn't. Come to think of it, I can't remember what I ate prior to meeting Michael (@Mikegaite) for my prize-winning Mike Gaite Experience. Michael must have driven all mundane thoughts clear out of my head. But what a way to cum, er I mean go. :D

I keep saying I'm going to make chili. But I really hate dealing with all the grease from the ground beef. So I haven't yet. But when I do, it will be me and Carroll Shelby all the way baby!!!

Gman

Gman

This is the best!!!! Yum....http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/cooking/smileys-cooking-658147.gif

Gman

I use that mix and instead of choppy veggies I use a good quality salsa

Hugs,

Greg

Gman

Perhaps you just do not know what breasts are supposed to taste like

prepare some cole slaw maybe some quick cucumber pickles and you are all set.

That was my childhood in the midwest. Mom used to grow cucumbers. I was in my 20's before I even knew there was any way to eat them other than a quick pickle.

Mr. Rowdy-a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

1. Do you think it would work with chicken breasts? I'll eat thighs. But they aren't my favorite.

2. Looking at crockpot recipes online, I've read some complaints about chicken skin. People write that it's soggy or something-and they all prefer it crispy.

3. Do you use the high or the low setting in your pot for this? I'm thinking possibly the High one as it only takes 6 hours.

Gman

For fried chicken I normally I like white breast better. And they will work for this recipe too. But the advantage of the thigh (this is starting to sound a bit - risqué - oh well) is twofold. The darker meat has more flavor to it. And there are only 2 boners to deal with. Sorry…. my mind is now totally distracted ;-)

Yes, the skin will get soggy. You have three options. Eat it, remove it and throw it away, or recycle by cutting into little pieces and use it in some future crock pot soups. I tend to do the latter. But you want to leave the skin on during the cooking phase. It will self baste the meat and add flavor.

Chicken will cook faster than most meats. 6 hours on low will likely do it. I actually start out on high for about an hour (just to get things heated up quicker) then go to low. After about 5-6 hours this wonderful aroma starts to escape. It’s done. Trust your nose. I use a fair amount of garlic - usually the dried granulated variety because it’s easy.

Archived