What is your favorite crock pot (slow cooker) recipe?

geminibear
This topic is 3003 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pulled pork is what crock pots were made for.

Where I grew up in Texas, I had never really heard of pulled-pork. One of the first times I remember coming across it was when I was moving from Houston to Cincinnati at the age of 28. I stopped at the house of some friends of mine who had moved from Houston to Memphis. They took me out to lunch to a well-known Memphis BBQ Restaurant. My friend, whom I'll call Paul, said I need to warn you. If you ask for a BBQ Sandwich, you'll get pork not beef. Let me tell you, I was in shock!!! Pork, I said. Paul replied, yes that's normal here. Beef is a special order. I didn't order it then. But I've had pulled pork occasionally since then. And don't get me wrong, I like trayf as much as the next guy. But pulled pork is mostly tasteless. I'd rather have beef.

Gman

Being a native Texan, I find white chili to be an oxymoron. If your ground beef is white, something must really have been wrong with that cow!! No offense to colored bovines intended @purplekow!!!

etc...

Gman

What is white chili?

I know red chili and green chili.

I seem to recall that a chain of restaurants (Houston's) serves "white chili" which has chicken as the meat rather than beef, thus the meat (chicken breast) is naturally white and has nothing to do with beef at all! :eek:

TruHart1 :cool:

Beef Stew

1 1/2 lbs. stew meat (go with the cheap stuff; lean meat will taste dry)

3-4 large potatoes

4 carrots or 16 oz bag baby carrots

3-4 stalks celery

1 large onion

1 bay leaf

1 10.75 oz. can tomato soup

10.75 oz. water

16 oz. baby bella sliced mushrooms

salt and black pepper to taste (remember that the soup can be salty)

Add uncooked stew meat to crock pot. Add salt and black pepper and tumble it around. (I find that spices won't dilute as much in the crock pot if you spice the meat).

Add bay leaf.

Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks (about 12 chunks per large potato). Add to crock pot.

Peel carrots and chop into half-inch to one-inch slices (or slice baby carrots). Add to crock pot.

Chop celery into half-inch to one-inch slices. Add to crock pot.

Cut onion into quarters and add to crock pot.

Add sliced mushrooms to crock pot.

Add tomato soup. Rinse can with water and pour one can water into crock pot.

Cover crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Crock pots work best if you leave them alone. If you feel compelled to stir, stir once very late in the game; maybe six hours in, when the beef has given up its juices.

It's best to let it cool a bit before serving. When I get home from work I set the crock pot to warm and turn the lid to let it vent.

Whoever finds the bay leaf wins.

Notes/variations:

• You can vary the taste by swapping out the tomato soup for tomato sauce, tomato puree, or crushed tomatoes.
  • If it seems a little bland try crushing a clove of garlic next time. Add it with the meat and black pepper.
  • This recipe fills a 4 quart crock pot. If you'd like more meat you can omit the mushrooms or maybe a potato.
  • Sometimes I'll chop up two green bell peppers (one inch square chunks) instead of mushrooms. You'll need to stay closer to 8 hours cook time with peppers.
  • The acid in the tomato soup can be rough on boots, vests, and jackets. Make sure to protect your leather with mink oil.

Beef Stew

1 1/2 lbs. stew meat (go with the cheap stuff; lean meat will taste dry)

3-4 large potatoes

4 carrots or 16 oz bag baby carrots

3-4 stalks celery

1 large onion

1 bay leaf

1 10.75 oz. can tomato soup

10.75 oz. water

16 oz. baby bella sliced mushrooms

salt and black pepper to taste (remember that the soup can be salty)

Add uncooked stew meat to crock pot. Add salt and black pepper and tumble it around. (I find that spices won't dilute as much in the crock pot if you spice the meat).

Add bay leaf.

Peel potatoes and cut into large chunks (about 12 chunks per large potato). Add to crock pot.

Peel carrots and chop into half-inch to one-inch slices (or slice baby carrots). Add to crock pot.

Chop celery into half-inch to one-inch slices. Add to crock pot.

Cut onion into quarters and add to crock pot.

Add sliced mushrooms to crock pot.

Add tomato soup. Rinse can with water and pour one can water into crock pot.

Cover crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Crock pots work best if you leave them alone. If you feel compelled to stir, stir once very late in the game; maybe six hours in, when the beef has given up its juices.

It's best to let it cool a bit before serving. When I get home from work I set the crock pot to warm and turn the lid to let it vent.

Whoever finds the bay leaf wins.

Notes/variations:

• You can vary the taste by swapping out the tomato soup for tomato sauce, tomato puree, or crushed tomatoes.
  • If it seems a little bland try crushing a clove of garlic next time. Add it with the meat and black pepper.
  • This recipe fills a 4 quart crock pot. If you'd like more meat you can omit the mushrooms or maybe a potato.
  • Sometimes I'll chop up two green bell peppers (one inch square chunks) instead of mushrooms. You'll need to stay closer to 8 hours cook time with peppers.
  • The acid in the tomato soup can be rough on boots, vests, and jackets. Make sure to protect your leather with mink oil.

Is there a reason you peel the potatoes? I like potato skins.

Gman

Gman

I never really thought about it. When I eat baked potatoes I eat the skin. Maybe I'll try just washing the potatoes well next time. I hate peeling potatoes, and this would certainly save some time.

Gman

I never really thought about it. When I eat baked potatoes I eat the skin. Maybe I'll try just washing the potatoes well next time. I hate peeling potatoes, and this would certainly save some time.

Let us know how the experiment goes!!!:rolleyes:

Gman

Speaking of baked potatoes......maybe you cook them this way.....but after you rinse them, pat them dry, lightly coat with olive oil, then roll them in sea or kosher salt, wrap in aluminum foil, then bake. This makes the skin sooo tasty and the skin doesn't dry out as much.

And if you want an unusual , delicious way to cook a steak..........I give you,........'Chasen's hobo steak.'

http://www.food.com/recipe/chasens-hobo-steak-150538 Chasen's was a famous restaurant in West Hollywood ( it wasn't called West Hollywood back then) to the movie people and that industry from the 1930's and on for decades.

They were famous for their chili and this steak.

I know this is off topic but reading this thread about all this food, I couldn't help but add my 2.5 cents. So if I'm bad, then just spank me. ;)

Speaking of baked potatoes......maybe you cook them this way.....but after you rinse them, pat them dry, lightly coat with olive oil, then roll them in sea or kosher salt, wrap in aluminum foil, then bake. This makes the skin sooo tasty and the skin doesn't dry out as much.

I love salt. But this makes the potato skins too salty for me. On the rare occasions I go to Outback Steakhouse, I ask them if they have unsalted potatoes.

Gman

I love salt. But this makes the potato skins too salty for me. On the rare occasions I go to Outback Steakhouse, I ask them if they have unsalted potatoes.

Gman

I wonder what Green Dragon tastes like after being cooked in the crock pot? Probably best with sea salt. :)

Archived