What is your favorite crock pot (slow cooker) recipe?

geminibear
This topic is 3002 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Better get down to the local leather bar where recipes are apparently the hot topic these days.

I'm addressing that community stereotyping in another thread. So un PC :mad:

Crock pots are good for pot roast, some stews and soups. Anything gets so overcooked that it's inedible.

So say's you. I put my chili up to the test any day of the week. If you're tough enough that is. :eek:

I ignore any recipe that has a lot of prep outside the pot. I've bought crock pot recipe books were every recipe required that you sauté, or broil, or create a cream sauce. Browning or searing meat is about as far as it should go, and that's pushing it. I've seen recipes where you get every pan in the kitchen dirty and then put all the prepared components in the crock pot for 3-4 hours.

I've got a beef stew recipe I've been refining for years: Stew meat, onion, potatoes, carrots, celery, mushrooms, bay leaf, tomato soup or tomato sauce - chop the vegetables, throw everything in, cook for 8-10 hours on low. It was a pretty bland recipe until I traded out some of the carrots for celery. Sometimes I swap out one of the vegetables for another. The base recipe can be cooked to death and it doesn't suffer. If I put in bell peppers I really have to watch the time.

I just found a white chili recipe that's about perfect as well. It tastes better if you use bone-in meat. In the last hour or so you shred the meat and add cornstarch and milk. Finding all the bone chunks is the toughest part.

I've also done a garlic chicken recipe that's real easy, except that you have to peel thirty cloves of garlic.

Although, I don't have the recipe handy, I did a traditional lasagna recipe in a slow cooker. It was excellent. Also stuffed peppers and similar stuffed cabbage are wonderful. Cabbage, peppers....I sound like a hillbilly ;)

That's alright I'm a redneck hillbilly so you're in good company. Happy Birthday btw. I would make you a cake in my crock pot but it may be overcooked and inedible in some people's opinions. ;)

I got a crock pot for Christmas about a decade ago. Never used it. Now that I've retired, thinking of dusting off the box, and seeing what I can do with it. Have always loved the smell of something cooking in the house. Any suggestions (besides going to the local leather bar) on where to get some good recipes (other than Google)?

Pulled pork is what crock pots were made for.

Sear a pork butt or shoulder on all sides, throw it in the crockpot with some onions and whatever else you like to flavor it (a little brown sugar and cayenne pepper is a good combo) and a little liquid. (It will make more liquid on its own.) Cook it until all of the connective tissue (i.e. fat) has dissolved.

Remove the pork, spoon off the fat, use two forks to "pull" the pork apart and plunk the pulled pork back into the juices left behind.

Serve on hoagie rolls. So simple. So **WOW**.

I got a crock pot for Christmas about a decade ago. Never used it. Now that I've retired, thinking of dusting off the box, and seeing what I can do with it. Have always loved the smell of something cooking in the house. Any suggestions (besides going to the local leather bar) on where to get some good recipes (other than Google)?

Bashful... Go ahead and Google crock pot recipes... you'll find some great recipes... Food and Wine, Martha Stewart, others have some really good recipes. And so many are very easy to do. And yes, your kitchen will smell delicious as your pot cooks.

Sear a pork butt or shoulder on all sides, throw it in the crockpot with some onions and whatever else you like to flavor it (a little brown sugar and cayenne pepper is a good combo) and a little liquid. (It will make more liquid on its own.) Cook it until all of the connective tissue (i.e. fat) has dissolved.

Remove the pork, spoon off the fat, use two forks to "pull" the pork apart and plunk the pulled pork back into the juices left behind.

OMG......sounds soooooooo delicious.

That's alright I'm a redneck hillbilly so you're in good company. Happy Birthday btw. I would make you a cake in my crock pot but it may be overcooked and inedible in some people's opinions. ;)

I'm a gentleman. I would be honored to eat your crock pot cake... no matter. You'll join me, won't you? :)

prepare some cole slaw maybe some quick cucumber pickles and you are all set.

Easy #1: Chicken Thighs

Preparation time about 2 minutes

A 4 or 6 pack of chicken thighs. Skin side up.

Pour a can of diced Italian style tomatoes over the top.

Add some garlic, Italian spice, a little crushed red pepper.

Add just a little water. Maybe a 1/2 cup.

Cook until you smell it. Probably about 6 hrs depending on your setting.

Optional: When it’s about time to eat cook rice or spaghetti to use as a bed base.

Or cook some veggies to serve on the side.

Any leftovers should go in serving size containers and put in the fridge.

Easy #2: Hamhocks and Beans

Preparation time (not counting the overnight bean soak) is about 5 minutes

Soak Lima beans overnight. Pour out the soak water. (You can substitute most any kind of bean)

Add package of hamhocks

1/2 onion

A couple of chopped celery stalks

Season with garlic, Italian spice and a little crushed red pepper.

Add enough new water to almost cover everything (but especially the beans).

Cook on low about 8 hours.

You will know it’s done when the hamhock meat falls off the bone. Do not keep cooking after that happens. Remove from heat and put any leftovers in serving size containers and put in the fridge.

Optional: You can serve over rice, spaghetti or toast.

I dont have recipes on hand but if you are in a region where its hot and humid ie Chicago crock pots are great to use in the summer so you dont have to turn on the oven and roast the house or apt. Oh and as for chili, I dont consider it a soup or stew, it's in a league of its own.

Hugs,

Greg

I dont have recipes on hand but if you are in a region where its hot and humid ie Chicago crock pots are great to use in the summer so you dont have to turn on the oven and roast the house or apt. Oh and as for chili, I dont consider it a soup or stew, it's in a league of its own.

Hugs,

Greg

The last time I sat down to a meal of chili, I ate it out of a soup bowl with a soupspoon. It's ground or cubed or diced meat braised in a sauce. Sounds suspiciously like soup or stew to me.

Archived